Walther Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everony,

I have a question about my PPQ 5" in .22lr.

While cleaning a piece of metal seems to have broken off.
The PPQ in .22lr is a hammer fired weapon, and the piece of metal that's in front of the hammer is broken. Has anyone ever seen/heard about this?
Is it safe to shoot? Does Walther Europe offer warranty on this kind of stuff?
I'll include some pictures to give you a better idea of what has broken off.

Any thoughts on this,

Thanks

Attachments

·
Registered
29 Posts
I had the same problem this year.

The manual says, that you must not fire with removed slide. So it's misuse.

But you can replace this part. It's the system plate subassembly or something like that. Luckily it's the side without the serial number. I paid less than 50 EUR including shipping.

I think, the weapon is safe without this piece of metal, too. But I preferred it in a complete state.

·
Registered
2,759 Posts
Umarex quality molded in metal "air gun" parts fail again.

If it's any condolence, the lack of machining/deburring/inspection production operations (that a billet or forged part would have required), helped to keep the cost of your gun low.

Lesson; Don't purchase guns with MIM parts if you plan to ACTUALLY shoot them.

Choose quality. Buy once, cry once!

·
Registered
2,759 Posts
I've shot ONE .22LR in the past 25 yrs. A friend who owns the shooting property we go to several times a year, he has his dads old .22 (1st yr production, 1962), a stunning piece of quality......

·
Registered
2,759 Posts
I'm not a 22 guy, but I've told him to talk to me if he ever sells it.

He remembers his Mom shooting single ragged holes with it in the mid '70s, as she does.

·
Registered
490 Posts
But you can replace this part. It's the system plate subassembly or something like that. Luckily it's the side without the serial number. I paid less than 50 EUR including shipping.

It would be helpful to the OP if you could be more specific. The part which was replaced should be noted on your repair receipt.

Looking at the attached Parts Diagram/List, it appears to me to be part number 7 on the exploded diagram, and part number 510.200.03 in the Spare Parts List, described as “sideplate left SA” (SA = subassembly) or, in German, “Systemplatte BG” (BG = Baugruppe).

Balor

Attachments

·
Registered
29 Posts
Of course, you're right, but I'm at my parents these days. But your PDF helps a lot!

You're right with the part: item #7, part #510.200.03, "sideplate left SA"

I replaced it by myself.
I've ordered the screws (#20) too, just in case of destroying the old ones while removing them. But the removal wasn't a problem. New ones aren't needed.
The slide stop lever (#46) was very hard to remove, because of its tight fit.
The small parts (springs included) are tricky. #17 jumped from my table, but I've found it luckily!

@all: During shooting this part won't break, because the hammer won't reach it. Never. But without the slide the hammer can go further and will break this "pin", which is only "attached" at the left side. When cleaning this pistol or whenever the slide is removed, never press the trigger or at least assist the release of the hammer with your thumb!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello Bram.
I can't believe that you wrote this now, because I had something similar happen to me. I clean my PPQ .22LR after every range visit, which is the only time I use it, maybe once a month or so, running 400+ rounds each time. After the last time I cleaned it, I did not notice anything out of the ordinary. Nothing broke off and nothing was loose. But last week I went to the range and something was blocking the magazine from loading, so I took the gun apart and a piece fell out that looks very similar to yours. I couldn't find where it came from but I assume attempting to load the magazine is what broke the piece finally. I tried to put place it in the same area as your photos as it does now look like something was there but it doesn't fit exactly but I guess that's where it came from. I loaded and carefully shot one round and there was no problem at all. I ended up shooting 450 rounds with no issues. I will contact the Walther people here in the US to see what they say. I have attached a photo as well.

Thank you.
Trisha in Nashville

Hi Everony,

I have a question about my PPQ 5" in .22lr.

While cleaning a piece of metal seems to have broken off.
The PPQ in .22lr is a hammer fired weapon, and the piece of metal that's in front of the hammer is broken. Has anyone ever seen/heard about this?
Is it safe to shoot? Does Walther Europe offer warranty on this kind of stuff?
I'll include some pictures to give you a better idea of what has broken off.

Any thoughts on this,

Thanks

Attachments

·
Registered
4 Posts
How did you get the slide stop out, trying to replace mine at the moment for same thing and it appears to possibly be two pieces screwed together but i haven't got spanners small enough to slide over each side of the section it pivots off

·
Registered
7 Posts
I have a PPQ 22, I was cleaning the gun and unfortunately just had this same thing happen. I decock the gun before cleaning by holding my thumb on the hammer while pressing the trigger, but this time I didn't have a good grip on the hammer and it struck that wall, breaking it. I've put about 3000 rounds through the gun so it's seen some use and I noticed this wall starting to bend out on prior cleanings, despite my best attempt to avoid dry fires. Material looks like zinc, completely unsuited to such a stress point...

Now all that said, this wall also seems largely unnecessary. When the gun is assembled, the the hammer strikes the steel firing pin assembly in the slide. Even when disassembled, mechanical linkage on the hammer keeps it from going more than a few mm further forward than where that wall would have stopped it anyway.

So I think I'm just going to let it be unless anyone has a reason why it's needed.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Yup, same thing happened to mine. It happened to me at the range and I did not have the slide removed. I am also not in the habit of pulling the trigger while the slide is off while I'm cleaning. But the broken (zinc a good description) piece looked just like the one Trisha posted. However, Walther (Umarexusa?) in Ft. Smith, AR fixed it under warranty. I enjoy the pistol very much, but will be more careful in future. My S&W M&P 1st Gen. 9mm has over 6,000 rounds to date and has never had a parts failure...ya gets what ya pays for.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts