Walther Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had made a mistake, thinking that the walther ppk was a ppk/s.
well it isn't, it is a ppk 380, made in usa by interarms/ranger.

i had the ppk on layaway, i took my h&r revolver and $110.00
and had gone to the pawnshop to take the ppk home with me.
the pistol only came with just a 6 round mag, no box/manual.
the ppk is in very-good shape. had brought a 7 round mag.
the 7 round mag stick's out at the bottom, butt who cares, it's a walther.
can anybody tell me when it was built? serial# A051382 thanks

Attachments

·
Registered
70 Posts
I had made a mistake, thinking that the walther ppk was a ppk/s.
well it isn't, it is a ppk 380, made in usa by interarms/ranger.

i had the ppk on layaway, i took my h&r revolver and $110.00
and had gone to the pawnshop to take the ppk home with me.
the pistol only came with just a 6 round mag, no box/manual.
the ppk is in very-good shape. had brought a 7 round mag.
the 7 round mag stick's out at the bottom, butt who cares, it's a walther.
can anybody tell me when it was built? serial# A051382 thanks
No exact dates for InterArms Walthers are available. check out Reported Interarms/Ranger Serial Numbers/Dates for a best guess

·
Premium Member
8,576 Posts
You didn't make a mistake. You got lucky. Now swap out that PPK/S mag for a PPK mag. While the PPK/S is certainly a fine weapon and carries an additional round it just doesn't have the style of the PPK.

The PPK/S was created to get around the import laws of the Gun Control Act of 1968. It combine the longer frame of the PP with the short slide of the PPK giving the PPK/S enough "import points" to be allowed into the United States. That longer PP frame gives you the additional round.
InterArms could of course being in the USA manufacture the PPK under license from Walther (Thanks Sam Cummings).

While you can use the longer PPK/S mag in your PPK I wouldn't as you can damage your weapon if you seat the mag too forcefully.

I have a Ranger A065676 and the target is dated 02/02/93 so your was made well before that.

·
Registered
65 Posts
I have a Ranger PPK with a SN of A019..... that was made in 1987 so I’d think yours is somewhere between 1987 and 1993.

Mine is the only PPK that I have in my harem of PPK/S guns.

·
Registered
65 Posts
If another data point is that PPK A043149 has a target date of 11/7/1989 (as listed in referenced thread) then maybe your gun was made within first three years of the 1990s. Maybe 1991/1992? All we can do is guess, wait for more data points or hope to locate the test target.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks guys for the ppk info date.
i have found some good info about my interarms ppk pistol..
i also found-out that it has a one piece black plastic rap-around grips
i will take the 7 round mag and trade for another 6 round mag..gun store trip..

·
Registered
65 Posts
thanks guys for the ppk info date.
i have found some good info about my interarms ppk pistol..
i also found-out that it has a one piece black plastic rap-around grips
i will take the 7 round mag and trade for another 6 round mag..gun store trip..
You are welcome. I find that the PPK and PPKS models are diffferent enough so that one can form a preference.... I definitely have a preference but I really do love both models.

Have you shot your PPK yet?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
no Cas, i haven't shot my ppk yet. butt soon i will shot it.
yesterday i had gone to the fleamarket to see if they had any good
holsters for sale. there was a guy there selling ammo and some holsters,
butt not one for my ppk. the hunt is on.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
does all ppk 380 come with a rap-around grips/ one piece.
i have seen some with a two piece grips on youtube..

·
Premium Member
8,576 Posts
The PPK frame design is such that the grip will wrap around the back of the frame. It can be made in a single "wrap-around" piece or two separate pieces. The OEM part is the single wrap-around as are many after market plastic models. Wooden grips like Grips4U will be in two pieces that meet in the back.
The PPK/S design is such that the frame is solid going down the back of the frame and the grip must be in two pieces that will fit inside the frame.

The PPK/S is in the rear ground of this image and you can see the grip fits into the frame while the frame on the PPK in the foreground is "wrapped" around the frame

·
Premium Member
8,576 Posts
My S&W made PPK has two grip panels.
S&W PPK did produce plastic two part grip panels. Ranger to the best of my knowledge did not. However yes there are both one and two piece PPK grips for the PPK.
I'm on a fence on preferences with plastic aftermarket PPK grips.
The one piece set looks better but can warp toward the front over time.
The two piece set won't warp as easily but the seam along the back looks nasty.

But do yourself a favor and never buy Pachmayr Grips for either your PPK or your PPK/S. You are asking for nothing but trouble.

·
Registered
65 Posts
I have an old Pachmayr grip on one of my Ppk/s guns. Feels good, looks good, but I can’t say that I would actually shoot the gun with that grip on there... too many things could go wrong.

My interarms Ppk had wraparound plastic grips; those quickly got removed in favor of a set of Nills.

Most of my other Ppk/s guns have basic wood two piece grips on them. I like wood grips to be thin so it’s always a crapshoot when I order some as to whether they will feel right to me.

The one thing I don’t like about the ppk/s model is that damn metal backstrap. I don’t like having to put a rubber sleeve over it just for comfort but that’s what I do. So, really, the beauty of the wood against the metal is lost due to the ugly rubber sleeve.

·
Registered
65 Posts
My interarms Ppk had wraparound plastic grips; those quickly got removed in favor of a set of Nills.
Oops. I was wrong. I just dug out my Interarms PPK box and confirmed that the original black plastic grips are in fact two piece. The gun is a Ranger gun.

My bad.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Oops. I was wrong. I just dug out my Interarms PPK box and confirmed that the original black plastic grips are in fact two piece. The gun is a Ranger gun.

My bad.
Yep, the two piece grip while not in keeping with the original design, works better, doesn't warp doesn't crack. I'v egot a lot of rounds through mine and the grips are in great shape.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I have both a PPK and PPK/S and prefer the original PPK which is of course in .32. The PPK/S is a .380, but not as hard on the hand as I was expecting after putting on a rubber grip sleeve. This makes a big difference and is not too bad looking with the original black grips. You can easily carry your PPK in a rear pocket in a thin suede holster at an angle whereas the PPK/S model sticks out.

·
Registered
65 Posts
I have both a PPK and PPK/S and prefer the original PPK which is of course in .32. The PPK/S is a .380, but not as hard on the hand as I was expecting after putting on a rubber grip sleeve. This makes a big difference and is not too bad looking with the original black grips. You can easily carry your PPK in a rear pocket in a thin suede holster at an angle whereas the PPK/S model sticks out.
Yes the rubber sleeve on the Ppk/s helps tremendously but it doesn’t look great if you like wood grips. Because of that, I can’t put wood grips on any ppk/s gun that I carry... and that makes me sad because I love wood grips.

I don’t know how I feel about carrying a .32 yet so all of my carry PP models are .380. They are a wee bit snappy but not horrible. They definitely don’t feel like you are shooting a .380 M&P EZ but then again the Walthers are WAY more accurate.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts