Walther Forums banner

21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
538 Posts
.../

/....But I don't believe we are "arguing about semantics" when nomenclature, which is to say the naming of parts, is concerned. When a part or its function is incorrectly described, it can lead to confusion about what it's for or how it works. In this regard there is no "half-cock notch" on the hammer of Walther PP-series pistols that might be sheared off; I'm not aware of any instance in which a PP-series pistol ever fired from a drop on the muzzle. As I said, the real danger from dropping a PP-series pistol with the safety "OFF" is when it's dropped on its hammer, though this was infrequent and not well known. Whether this was known to and in the minds of S&W's designers when they extended the frame tang I cannot say. I have never seen anything from S&W to suggest that it was for any reason except to eliminate slide bite.
I saw no need to limit the discussion of how dropping a pistol on its hammer could result in a negligent discharge, thus I included a reference to half cock notches, which are present on many single and double action pistols.

A half cock notch on the hammer of a semi-auto pistol is primarily intended to catch the hammer in the event the hammer slips off the thumb while the hammer is being manually cocked. But the notch will not always prevent the hammer from striking the firing pin when the pistol is dropped on the hammer, as the notch can shear off.

If you want to be PP specific in this regard, the lack of a half cock notch on the PP series dictates additional care in the event the shooter does want to manually cock the hammer.

·
Registered
538 Posts
Good afternoon,

I understand this question is about dropping on the hammer.

I'm attaching my "on the nose" drop test for your information.

Youtube vid

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yU8a7wLWqII

Forum page

http://www.waltherforums.com/forum/pp-tp-series/52809-ad-dropping-muzzle.html

Be well,
David
A couple thoughts:

1. That was painful to watch, even dropping it on a towel to soften the impact and limit the damage to the pistol.

2. The US Army did testing with the 1911A1 to determine the parameters under which the inertial firing pin might activate the primer when the pistol was dropped on its muzzle. They used a frame holding the pistol perpendicular to the hard surface to get the worst case effect where there was no horizontal vector on the firing pin that may impede its movement. A small difference in angle of impact makes a significant difference.

3. It's debatable whether the additional weight of a loaded magazine would make a difference.

4. It's not debatable that some primers are more sensitive to impact than others. While I appreciate the demonstrative purpose of pulling the trigger to fire the primer and demonstrate it had not fired in any of the drops, it would have been more valuable to remove the cartridge and show the extent of any dent in the primer from the firing pin during the drops.

In short, I agree it's unlikely to have an ND due to dropping on the muzzle, but I would not want anyone to consider this to be definitive proof that it can't happen.

·
Registered
5 Posts
New ppk/s .22 - Impossible to pull trigger in double action

help please.

This gun is useless if I can't pull the trigger. It feels like 25 lbs or more!

I need 2 hands and 2 fingers, squeezing with everything I got.

It is absolutely ridiculous to release a firearm that cannot be pulled unless you have hands like Andre the Giant!

I hope someone has a link to a vendor who sells after market springs for this trigger. I don't mind a hard pull, just not impossible.

Kindly please advise,

M

·
Registered
2,859 Posts
help please.

It is absolutely ridiculous to release a firearm that cannot be pulled unless you have hands like Andre the Giant!

I hope someone has a link to a vendor who sells after market springs for this trigger. I don't mind a hard pull, just not impossible.

Kindly please advise,

M
Wolff Springs and you want a tuning pack with multiple weight main springs and recoil springs. I just improved my PA 63 by replacing the mainspring with one of lower weight. You have to check for function because lower mainspring weight can lead to light primer strikes.

·
Registered
350 Posts
help please.

Kindly please advise,

M
It sounds like something is installed incorrectly. What year was it made?

·
Registered
422 Posts
Got snap caps? If not invest in a set of 380. Load one in the chamber - do not put a magazine in the weapon. Matter of fact do this in a room with no ammo of any sort around. Now do fifty trigger pulls twice a day for a week. No you won't hurt the weapon. But you will do two things - a) build up strength in your trigger finger - b) all those double action trigger pulls will slightly weaken the spring thus lowering the trigger pull

·
Super Moderator
7,179 Posts
There is a much simpler solution. Get a gun designed in the last 40 years, with a more user-friendly trigger. Save the Walther as a range toy.
If you have to use a gun in deadly earnest, you'd best be able to hit something with it. If the trigger won't let you do that, get something else.
Moon

·
Registered
2 Posts
What is the the factory set trigger pull in pounds from the factory on a PPK/S .380 Interarms? Every since I purchased the handgun approx in 2001. So, can the trigger be reset to a less poundage pull? Can a newer/updated trigger set at about 5lbs? I also have a Walther P99QA .40 S&W, and it's trigger pull is significantly less than the PPK/S.

·
Registered
9,567 Posts
It's all in the design of the pistol and the geometry a small pistol allows. There is only so much room to give leverage to the trigger bar with a reasonably short trigger pull. Revolvers have more room due to no magazine and striker fired pistols are of an entirely different design. The only thing heavier than the DA pull on a PP pistol is the DA pull on a 1911. 1917

·
Super Moderator
7,179 Posts
1917' has given Winston the 'Cliff's Notes' version of the preceding thread. :)
The short answer remains, there isn't much to be done about the double action pull.
Thumb the hammer and shoot single action.
Moon

·
Registered
1 Posts
1917' has given Winston the 'Cliff's Notes' version of the preceding thread. :)
The short answer remains, there isn't much to be done about the double action pull.
Thumb the hammer and shoot single action.
Moon
I guess I'm going to make a lot of enemies here, but this oft-repeated statement ("the PPK DA can't be improved, get used to it or find a newer gun") is complete and utter hogwash, and I am sick of hearing it from experienced owners who should have learned better by now. Yes, the unmodified DA trigger pull of an original Walther or Ranger PPK sucks. I believe I have measured it at 15 or 16#. NO, it is not true that it can't be improved, and I am not talking about lightening the hammer spring (and risking light primer strikes). A German or Ranger PPK DA trigger pull CAN be safely and reliably reduced to about 10# or so, which is comparable to any other DA handgun I know, including my sweet Sig P220. Unfortunately, I am not about to state how to do it here, because that would be irresponsible. FIND A KNOWLEDGEABLE GUNSMITH and don't believe the old wives' tales you hear from people whose expertise consists of repeating what "everybody knows".

·
Registered
9,567 Posts
Won't make me an enemy. If you can figure out some good solutions I for one would like to read about or see photos of your modifications. 1917

21 - 34 of 34 Posts