Walther Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Everyone,
I recently purchased a Walther PPK/S, S082895, Interarms version. I'm having what I guess is the somewhat typical problem where the safety falls down during firing. I've read that the safety spring and plunger should be replaced. I did replace the spring and ordered a new plunger however, it is too big. Every one I have been able find is the same style. I'm not sure where to look or what to do. I have attached two pictures so you can see what I mean. Thank you for any help.

Attachments

·
Registered
153 Posts
Contact Mike @
M & M Gunsmithing
Home

He is a former Interarms gunsmith. I sent my IA SS slide to him and he basically made the safety a dis-assembly pin w/the safety very difficult to use. I am 110% satisfied as I know that the safety will not be accidentally engaged.

Roboslug

·
Registered
16 Posts
Plunger

I just had the same problem. I contacted Mike at M&M and he could not help me. I too ordered the same plunger and it was too long. I am thinking about taking the original and the new longer one to a machinist and having him machine it to the length of the original. The one that came out of my gun had more of a rounded point than your original. first just try replacing the spring and see if that fixes the problem. I would be interested in finding the original size. I have 3 other PPK's and their plungers all have a sharper point than the one I am having an issue with.

·
Super Moderator
7,356 Posts
Have you both tried just replacing the spring and see if it rectifies the problem?
How worn is the safety drum?
Moon

·
Registered
16 Posts
Safety drum is fine, I did change the spring and only shot 30 rounds through it and everything worked, but my safety plunger is definitely rounded compared to the ones in my other 3 Walther PPk's.

·
Premium Member
6,228 Posts
Nobody ever reads the FAQs.

http://www.waltherforums.com/forum/...-while-shooting-troubleshooting-thread-7.html

Unfortunately most of the photos are gone. Perhaps Pilotsteve might restore some of them.
Counsellor, the photos are gone for now but are backed up. One of these days, when I have the time, I'll re-do them but fairly, it seems to me this sort of thing should be the stuff of Admin folks. Alas, they've likely more time than I since after all, it is their site.

-Pilotsteve

·
Registered
149 Posts
How I solved this with my stainless PPK and stainless PPK/S .380's...
I assumed that this malfunction was caused when the slide moves forward and the friction between the hammer and the safety drum causes the safety to rotate.
What I did was to take down any high points on the contact areas on both the hammer and the bottom of the safety drum with fine emery cloth, then high polished these areas with a polishing wheel on a Dremel.
This solved the safety activation on both of my Walthers.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Sig solved this Walther problem completely when they launched their P230 series. They eliminated the safety component all together from the hammer drop function.
Of course Glock then solved Sig.
( Seems to be a Teutonic family matter).

·
Registered
618 Posts
I’ve had 4 ppk/s Pistols and every one of them had this problem. I just think it was designed assbackwards.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
20 Posts
I’d go a step further. A safety doesn’t belong on a modern pistol at all. Although I certainly can understand the arguments made for them especially in the case of 1911 cocked and locked (frame mounted). But frame mounted hammer release levers and other other striker fire pistol “safeties “ plead the argument.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts