Walther Forums banner

21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Speaking of which, JW, I think I read a thread here that not all gunsmiths are familiar with such older Walthers. Perhaps mine would be a simple fix, but could you direct me to someone that you know of and trust? How would I do this if they're far away? Mail the weapon? Or, do you know of anybody in the L.A. or Orange County areas?

·
Registered
2,323 Posts
I'd pipe in and suggest: M & M Gunsmithing

Mike spent 15 years with Interarms, I suspect he's about as good as you'll find.

·
Super Moderator
7,434 Posts
For clarity here, when the guard is pulled down, is there a fair amount of resistance? (I'll even define 'fair amount'...with a spring loaded strain gauge, it takes 5-6 lbs of pull to get the trigger guard down on an Interarms PPK and a Manurhin PP.)
Also, when released, does the guard pop back up quickly, with no hitches? Be especially aware of any rough spots in its travel.

If we're good to go with all that, then I'd follow JW's advice and have a look at the upper portion of the triggerguard where it acts as the travel limiter; are either the guard itself or the face of the slide where it impacts the guard out of square or dented?

Finally, is there any chance that, under (the rather snappy) recoil with your two handed hold, you are unconsciously pulling on the guard?

Moon

·
Banned
1,543 Posts
"Finally, is there any chance that, under (the rather snappy) recoil with your two handed hold, you are unconsciously pulling on the guard?

Moon"
This was my first thought--that the two hand hold involved a grip where the extra hand finger was contributing to this by some kind of squeezing hold ahead of the trigger guard.

J

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
JW, Moon, Dr. E, and all the rest, thank you again for your reponses. I have copied and pasted many of these posts, and have printed them, as to make notes of what to consider, as well as the gunsmith that was listed, too.

Moon, a fair amount of resistence, yes. Not terribly tight, but surely not loose. I just don't know to compare, as I'm thinking back to memory of the PPK/S, which was not fired for long before I started firing it and then cleaning it. It was a long time ago during the early 80s. The only other example that I have is the PP that I own now, so I can't make an objective judgement like you guys can, probably having handled and fired more Walthers than I have over the years. But to be clear, when I fire with two hands, I don't put a finger on the trigger guard, thus I don't think that it's being caused to pull down when I fire it. As far as popping back up quickly, yes, it does, and with no hitches or resistance.

Thank you again for your replies. I have subscribed to this thread, though, it doesn't seem to notify me in emails when there are replies, so I check periodically. You guys have surely covered everything and more for what is likely going to be a smile fix for the gunsmith who knows about such things, as well as who would know about Walthers.

Thank you again for all the help, guys (and gals, if you've replied, too)! :)

·
Premium Member
13,914 Posts
PPK/S .380: serial number range 134941 - 267721, 06/68 - 12/85
plus ~ 2300 pieces in the serial number range 800048 - 804970 until 07/89
PPK/S .32: serial number range 238581 - 329527, 10/69 - 03/84
plus ~2000 pieces in the serial number range 800000 - 806271 until 03/89
PPK/S .22: serial number range 114481 - 141447, 01/69 - 04/87
PPK/S Dural .22: serial number range 507101 - 507430, 01/69 - 01/82

The quantity I wrote was roughly rounded.

There is a serial number range between 238581 and 267721 used for both .32 and .380, but the chronology differs (~10 - 15 years). Same between 134941 and 141447, used for .380 and .22. Perhaps serial numbers for late Manurhin/Matra made guns were double used. But I'm not sure, there is a uncertainty.

But Mike, I believe you agree with me: More than a few thousands...

Source: Dieter H. Marschall
I doubt it. Not even Marschall says that ALL of the guns in the cited "ranges" were necessarily of the same caliber.

What I can tell you is that before USA production commenced --if one discounts the sales to German police of .32 PP models-- the PP, PPK and PPK/s pistols in .380/9mm Kurz outsold all other calibers by a ratio of 9-to-1. In USA-made production, .380/9mm Kurz accounted for 97% of sales.

You do the math.

Apart from the surplus ex-German police guns, .32s in any postwar model found in the USA are scarce. They are just as likely to be wartime or pre-war.

M

·
Registered
3,446 Posts
Mike, .380 was as rare in Europe as .32 in the USA. And the USA weren't the only market to sell guns, especially for a German manufacturer. The numbers of production are true, but...

...There is another question to point out: A forum member gave me a PM and his question made me a bit confused: We know that PPK and PPK/S sharing the same serial number range, differenced by "S" suffix. Was every serial number used for one gun or are there two guns sharing the same number differenced by suffix? If "one number, one gun" is true, we definitive can't say, how geat is the rate of PPK/S compared to the PPK. And that is valid for every caliber. The only thing we know: ~2300 PPK/S .380 and ~2000 PPK/S .32 were made in Ulm (post Manurhin).

Some opinions? I think I will ask Dieter.

·
Premium Member
13,914 Posts
Martin, that's a question for Dieter. I have not devoted much study to serial numbers as a subject in themselves.

M

·
Premium Member
26,071 Posts
I'm delighted that you are interested in pursuing this, Martin. And I'm certain that many of us are interested in what Herr Marschall might say on the topic. We get numerous questions about serial numbers here, as everybody who follows this section of the forum knows.

·
Registered
3,446 Posts
What I can say right now:
PPK and PPK/S were sharing the same serial number range. 115100 PPK/S were made by Manurhin/Walther at all. I (We) don't know, how many PKK or PPK/S were made discerned to the caliber. There are known "double used" numbers, PPK and PPK/S as well as different caliber sharing the same number.

Thanks to Dieter knowing (and sharing) the numbers were made. But I have to realize, that numbering don't answer the question: How rare is a PPK/S chambered in 7,65mm. Perhaps someone likes to share verifiable numbers. If not, we have to assume, that we don't know...

·
Registered
343 Posts
I have been collecting serial numbers on the PPK/s for a couple years now. Serial number 239100S is the first 7.65mm that I have and it is dated 1969. The last that I have is 2432X1S(sorry 'bout the X, but the number was covered in the auction)dated 1970. There is a mixture of 9mm K and 7.65mm in this range but the majority are 7.65mm. The 7.65mm pistols only show up in this range so far. Hope this info helps..

·
Registered
419 Posts
Just read this thread hoping i could find out more about the first of the PPK/S and particularly my German PPK/S, i have serial #257484S in 7.65. Markings indicate it was made in 1971. I was curious as to when the first one in 7.65 was made. Mine is NIB, never fired. Also is in an interarms box and is stamped Interarms on the slide. This particular one seems to be very accurate judging by the test target is there a published list of serial number blocks with caliber? Thanks in advance. JT

·
Registered
1,493 Posts
The PPK/S is less common in Europe since it was especially created to circumvent the 1968 GCA and allow continued importation of the popular shorter slide. In Europe the PPK was still available as the popular standard version.

21 - 34 of 34 Posts