Walther Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

I've been having a Walther PPK/S 380 APC 9mm kurz for many years. It's been manufactured by Interarms and has a ser. no. S157171. I've bought it in 1999.

I was at the shooting range and had it inspected there. I was told that it has an issue with the hammer. Its clearance is too big I was told. I went to a few gunsmiths and I got oposite opinions.

Here are some pictures and a video on which the clearance can be seen very well:

ImageShack Album - 4 images

Could you give me your opinions, please? If there's an issue indeed, then what should it be fixed?

Thank you in advance!

·
Premium Member
13,914 Posts
Never seen anything like this video.

Do you intend to use it as a pistol or a marionette?

What is wrong with the way it works?

M

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Never seen anything like this video.

Do you intend to use it as a pistol or a marionette?

What is wrong with the way it works?

M
I was looking for an opinion, not for jokes... I used the string to show what I mean.

Not sure if it's a problem but I think the hammer is a bit higher than it should be. When loading or firing there's a little friction between the hammer and the slide.

·
Premium Member
13,914 Posts
Not sure if it's a problem but I think the hammer is a bit higher than it should be. When loading or firing there's a little friction between the hammer and the slide.
Did some malfunction at the range prompt this inquiry?

There has to be contact --and friction is therefore unavoidable-- between the slide and the hammer; otherwise the slide would be unable to recock the hammer. There must be enough overtravel to allow the time and distance necessary to assure secure re-engagement and to avoid breaking things if they are cut too close.

In actual shooting, does the slide cycle and the hammer cock and the gun fire okay?

M

·
Registered
2,323 Posts
That bit of "free-play" after the hammer is cocked is in all the .380's I've ever seen. As for friction, that's inevitable, as MGMike has said.

·
Premium Member
13,914 Posts
The fact that overtravel is normal is evidenced by the fact that any PP-series pistol that has seen any significant use will show a pair of dents in the bottom of the feed rail of the slide, between the slide face and the safety. These are caused by the hammer rebounding from its full rearward stroke and striking the underside of the slide. Only when the slide fully closes, clearing the hammer, can the hammer re-engage with the cocking piece (or "sear").

M

·
Registered
316 Posts
Karamichev: Is your concern that the hammer can be pulled back far enough to contact the frame? That is normal. Is the pistol malfunctioning?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks to everybody. I'm from Bulgaria and I got different opinions from local gunsmiths.

The pistol fires just fine so I suppose everything's as it should be. You've cleared this out for me.

Thanks again.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts