Walther Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Interesting box size variation in 139XXX, 1970 era "alligator box". Lid measures 1 5/8" compared to 1960's box lid which measures ~ 1". Suspect it precedes "brown box" in pic #4, also 139XXX era.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I have two of the last one pictured. I'm not sure what time frame they are from. But, I'm pretty sure they came after the faux alligator skin boxes. The serial #'s are: 1400xx and 1511xx respectively. The older one housed a W. German PPK/S 1973 issue 9mm Kurz , without a manual, but has a brass cleaning rod, and the newer one, I just bought online for a spare with cleaning rod and manual. I hope this helps.

·
Registered
3,147 Posts
Member Balogh told me, that the design/box details changed in1968, before Walther changed the general design in ~1970. While the PPK/S was introduced in 1968, it should be OK.

·
Premium Member
1,601 Posts
It seems that Walther had three different sizes of boxes for their models PPK, PPK/S, and PP during the last two years of the Sixties. These boxes can be easily distinguished from those that were in use until 1968. On the alligator boxes until 1968, the slash between Ulm and Donau has a flat angle. After 1968 it became much steeper. Another difference is the font being used.

I suppose that starting in 1970 with the introduction of the plan brown cardboard box (used until 1972 or 1973), Walther reduced the number to two different boxes, one size for the PPK and the slightly larger size for the PPK/S and the PP (just different printing).

1 - 4 of 4 Posts