Walther Forums banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a Walther PPK/S. It says .380 on the barrel. The manual says 22lr, .380 and 7.65 are compatible. But I have a box of 6.35mm. I have read this is no longer manufactured but will it still work in my Walther PPK/S?

·
Registered
323 Posts
No. The 7.65 is known as the .32 APC and for an entirely different chamber. Likewise, the 6.35 is the .25 APC. The ammo is still made but the pistol isn't. The manual is inclusive of all calibers of the P-series pistols: 22, 7.65, 380. Yours is marked is a .380 APC, a.k.a. as 9mm kurz.

·
Super Moderator
7,411 Posts
Mike, welcome aboard.
Due respect, but it does sound like you are green as grass to guns. We will be happy to help you here, but you might want to finds some hands on instruction closer to home.
Contact the NRA, or local gunshops for more info.
Moon

·
Registered
10,112 Posts
Welcome *****. Firearms are manufactured caliber specific. The PP, PPK pistols have been made to chamber .22 long rifle, .32 ACP (7.65mm) and .380 ACP (9mm Kurz). Just like a 20 gauge and 12 gauge shotgun...you can't swap ammo from gun to gun. There are exceptions. A .357 mag. revolver will also allow you to use .38 special ammo. But these semi auto pistols require specific ammo for whatever the barrel is chambered for. In your case your pistol is chambered for .380 ACP. Currently it might be a bit hard to find but keep looking if you don't have any.

A number of us have these pistols in each caliber. .22 long rifle, .32 ACP and .380 ACP. The .380 is the most powerful offered. The danger in mixing or using ammo that is not of the correct caliber is that a round might drop into the chamber and keep going only to lodge inside the barrel. Unless removed before a proper caliber round is fed into the chamber and fired....the pistol barrel could explode. .32 and .380 laying around on the bench can be accidentally mixed up.....so, keep you ammo separated if you have various varieties sitting around. 1917

You can find charts on line that show the difference between between ammunition calibers.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Mike, welcome aboard.
Due respect, but it does sound like you are green as grass to guns. We will be happy to help you here, but you might want to finds some hands on instruction closer to home.
Contact the NRA, or local gunshops for more info.
Moon
Actually I am actually far from green. My father was a former Marine & NRA instructor. I could load & fire every handgun, shotgun & rifle he owned. It was required. I also have no problem with my own. The problem is we got this Walther from my deceased father-in-law's junk drawer with a clip of 6.35mm & a box of 6.35mm shells. I knew it couldn't be right but I no longer have my father to ask. So I thought who better to ask than the walther forum. I guess I should have added more back story.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Welcome *****. Firearms are manufactured caliber specific. The PP, PPK pistols have been made to chamber .22 long rifle, .32 ACP (7.65mm) and .380 ACP (9mm Kurz). Just like a 20 gauge and 12 gauge shotgun...you can't swap ammo from gun to gun. There are exceptions. A .357 mag. revolver will also allow you to use .38 special ammo. But these semi auto pistols require specific ammo for whatever the barrel is chambered for. In your case your pistol is chambered for .380 ACP. Currently it might be a bit hard to find but keep looking if you don't have any.

A number of us have these pistols in each caliber. .22 long rifle, .32 ACP and .380 ACP. The .380 is the most powerful offered. The danger in mixing or using ammo that is not of the correct caliber is that a round might drop into the chamber and keep going only to lodge inside the barrel. Unless removed before a proper caliber round is fed into the chamber and fired....the pistol barrel could explode. .32 and .380 laying around on the bench can be accidentally mixed up.....so, keep you ammo separated if you have various varieties sitting around. 1917 View attachment 96201

You can find charts on line that show the difference between between ammunition calibers.
Hi, thank you for the information. One can never acquire too muck knowledge. See my reply to halfmoon clip. I really should have been more clear about why I was asking.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thank you guys. I truly appreciate your information. I decided to ask, even though common sense told me the answer. Always better safe. It just wasn't making sense that my inlaw would have a 380 with the 25 clip & shells. The shells are so old I will probably take them to the police department to destroy. Other than the junk drawer I have no idea what they may have been through.

·
Registered
10,112 Posts
You know the old saying......the only dumb question is the one not asked. This is what a forum is good for. No one is bothered by any new Member asking a question. Your's is an important one. Heck no one is bothered by questions posted by old Member's either. Well, perhaps, hey guys, i got a new gun....what's it worth? We can't answer that...what kind of gun? 1917

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
I had considered offering these shells for free to whoever (responsibly) wanted them. But am leery of doing so because the ppk & shells were sitting neglected in junk drawers. Fortunately the ppk was in a case & I cleaned it first thing. And what was really shocking was that my father-in-law moved up the ranks in the police department to chief of police.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
You know the old saying......the only dumb question is the one not asked. This is what a forum is good for. No one is bothered by any new Member asking a question. Your's is an important one. Heck no one is bothered by questions posted by old Member's either. Well, perhaps, hey guys, i got a new gun....what's it worth? We can't answer that...what kind of gun? 1917
Thanks. I felt a little bit the idiot for not giving more info.

·
Registered
10,112 Posts
*****, let's clarify something. You mention in post #8 a .25 clip and shells. I'm not sure what you mean there but I'm certainly hoping you didn't mean to say you had a magazine (clip) full of .25 acp and threw it away. These pistols use a box magazine and it is properly called a magazine. Folks commonly and incorrectly refer to a magazine as a clip. A clip is an entirely different device used to hold the rims of ammunition in certain firearms. If you were to have a Walther PP .25acp magazine.....it would be very valuable. I take it you had an old box of .25acp ammo. 1917

Magazine on the left....clip on the right. Entirely different.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
*****, let's clarify something. You mention in post #8 a .25 clip and shells. I'm not sure what you mean there but I'm certainly hoping you didn't mean to say you had a magazine (clip) full of .25 acp and threw it away. These pistols use a box magazine and it is properly called a magazine. Folks commonly and incorrectly refer to a magazine as a clip. A clip is an entirely different device used to hold the rims of ammunition in certain firearms. If you were to have a Walther PP .25acp magazine.....it would be very valuable. I take it you had an old box of .25acp ammo. 1917
View attachment 96225
Magazine on the left....clip on the right. Entirely different.
I did not throw the "magazine" away with shells in it. That would be kind of dumb & unsafe. I still have the box of of .25 acp shells. The magazine is gone. I'm sorry. Now I'm kicking myself. In addition, in rumaging through stuff there are also 2 380 magazines that don't fit the ppk. This is one of those missing my dad moments. He would have known. :cry:

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I did not throw the "magazine" away with shells in it. That would be kind of dumb & unsafe. I still have the box of of .25 acp shells. The magazine is gone. I'm sorry. Now I'm kicking myself. In addition, in rumaging through stuff there are also 2 380 magazines that don't fit the ppk. This is one of those missing my dad moments. He would have known. :cry:
Honestly I am also considering selling the walther. It has no sentimental value to my husband & I'm the only one who would use it. The slide is so tight I struggle to ratchet it back.

·
Registered
323 Posts
j never throw anything gun related away. Do the 380 magazines have any marks on them? Also the ammunition is still good probably, almost certainly. Some one can use it and it won’t be a hazard in your shelf.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
j never throw anything gun related away. Do the 380 magazines have any marks on them? Also the ammunition is still good probably, almost certainly. Some one can use it and it won’t be a hazard in your shelf.
I did unfortunately. The magazine wouldn't work with anything. The 380 magazines don't have any marks on them except the caliber.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 48 Posts