Walther Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Now that I've purchased a PPK/S-1, I did a bit of research on 380 guns and read a lot of good things about the Bersa Thunder 380. Saw one at the range today, and I could have sworn it was a PPK - they look almost identical. The specs, however, reveal the PPK/S-1 to be a bit smaller:

Bersa Thunder 380
Length 6.61 inches
Height 4.92 inches
Width 1.34 inches
Barrel length 3.5 inches
Weight 20 ounces
Mag capacity 7

Walther PPK/S-1
Length 6.1 inches
Height 4.3 inches
Width .98 inches
Barrel length 3.3 inches
Weight 22.4 ounces
Mag capacity 7

Has anyone shot both the Bersa Thunder 380 and the PPK/S? Can you comment on how both compare? For $280 new I am tempted to recommend it to a friend of mine who is looking for a small conceal carry weapon in 380 but doesnt want to spend $500 for a new PPK/S-1. Any comments will be appreciated.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Well, my friend and I went to the gunshop today and looked at the Bersa Thunder 380. I really, really, really liked it. Liked it so much I walked out with one (can someone PLEASE take away my credit card!
) Here is a pick of the 2 newest additions to the gun cabinet:

First I have to say the specs on the online Bersa manual are wrong. Width, for example, is not .36 inch different. Here is a link to a hi-res (but fuzzy) pic (979K) of the two side by side:

http://www.quiros.net/armory/images/ppkthunder2.jpg

So, without having measure it with some special tool, just by having them side by side, the Bersa is NOT .5 inch longer, .62 inch higher and .36 wider. It is a little bit longer, perhaps less than .25 inch, a little bit taller, again by perhaps .25 inch, and wider? If anything perhaps .1 or less. They look almost identical.

Also, the mags are NOT interchangeable (I had read this somewhere). The PPK/S has a groove that wont let its mags go into the Bersa, and the Bersa mags didnt seem to want to go into the PPK - and I didnt force it.

The Bersa has the safety key feature (cute but useless), and it wont fire without a clip - interesting. Field stripping it is a bit different with a small level on one side instead of the trigger guard pull, but they both look very similar inside.

I'll take them both out to the range later this week to see how they compare on the range.

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
I'd love to have a slide lock on my PPK/S, but not at the cost of an integrated lock. I wonder if the older Bersa's had that too.

·
Premium Member
4,590 Posts
I agree ..... a slide lock would be nice in some situations....

·
Registered
34 Posts
[b said:
Quote[/b] (ZBoater @ June 06 2006,12:05)]Here is a link to a hi-res (but fuzzy) pic (979K) of the two side by side:
Let's hope your focus is better on the range

;-)

·
Registered
713 Posts
Ok Im have both and I also run 1 of 2 Bersa boards
My Webpage
We now have over 800 members.
The Bersa takes down easlier because of take down lever.Also has Slide release. Bersa has a better trigger from box than Walthers . Accuracy about the same and Bersa likes most ammo,.Some don't do well with Win white box
They may look same but nothing will interchange Bersa mags are around 30 bucks a couple more than a Walther Banner mag. The only seem to work good with factory mags. Pro Mag are waste of money.
Bersa has little 3rd party support as for grips .springs ect.
In last year holsters have become easlier to find and PPK/S won't fit.
I carry my PPK/S more as it fits in my jeans pocket My Bersa won't. The Bersa to me is better for range time as has a wider back strap and doesn't pound hand like PPK/S also has the extended Tang like a S&W.
Fit and finish go to the PPK/S ,Bersa is a little rougher over all.
The new CC 380 is now out. This is a chopped Bersa with almost no sights,bobbed hammer shorter barrel couple other things and about 4oz litgher..
 For the money their a good buy. Are they perfect no. We have a few unhappy owners.( maybe .05%) But we also have a factory warrenty gunsmith as member . He has fix or had replaced any problem guns. They do have a good warrenty.
If own one keep a way from the women the seem to want to keep .
Bersa also makes the Firestorm 380.  
Their are 22,32, besides 380. Bersa also has 9mm 40 and 45 that look like newer Walthers .
 Want a cheaper look like a PPK/S the Bersa a good deal.
So come visit bersatalk and join

Oh, the key lock is a non issue unless you lock and loose key. Older guns didn't have. Also Theirs Mag disconnect like S&W Browning and others When Mag out pistol inop. I belive in case of a 380 CC gun this also a none issue.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts