Walther Forums banner

41 - 60 of 136 Posts

·
Super Moderator
7,158 Posts
Michael', it's clear enough that you are hellbent on a PPK/s.

Once you have it, please consider some of the other options offered here, and re-read Kar 98's remarks above; that is definitely a sooth.
As regards your malf'ing Glock, I've taken a brand new G42 to a snubby match, and it ran without a hiccup. A jamming Glock has something seriously wrong with it; they are normally as reliable as gravity.
Hope Dorian it kind to you, and also hope you get a gun that is reliable and fun to shoot.
Moon

·
Registered
69 Posts
Especially considering you have 1911 experience and are considering a more-or-less full-size 1911 at the moment, I think you would definitely be best-served with the Kimber Micro 9. (I think the 1911 you are considering is close to 2 lbs, 32 oz).
I was in my local shop this week and was being shown a Kimber Micro 9. If I'd spent any time with 1911s I would've gone for it.

A search for data on the 'new' (2019) PPK/S found me Mr. Paul Harrell, which led to me looking at his review of the P365 as that's the hot/exciting subcompact these days.

No surprises; it's powerful, it's accurate, it's reliable; it's only tangentially helpful here since MJM isn't really looking for polymer. However, at 26:45, he strikes up a discussion on safeties which I think is very relevant here, covering revolvers, DAO autos (like Beretta Pico, though one isn't on his table there), striker-fired (too many examples), SAO (1911s and such), and DA/SA (like the Walther; also Beretta PX4 and many others, but not so many 201x models.

His thoughts here resonated exactly with my last range trip to decide my EDC choice and so I recommend listening to that last 3:15.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
Michael', it's clear enough that you are hellbent on a PPK/s.

Once you have it, please consider some of the other options offered here, and re-read Kar 98's remarks above; that is definitely a sooth.
As regards your malf'ing Glock, I've taken a brand new G42 to a snubby match, and it ran without a hiccup. A jamming Glock has something seriously wrong with it; they are normally as reliable as gravity.
Hope Dorian it kind to you, and also hope you get a gun that is reliable and fun to shoot.
Moon
Getting a PPK doesn't preclude me from getting something else in addition. I haven't read about it yet, but I really like that Kimber!

Glock - yeah, it must have had a problem, but they just kept getting it going - they should have swapped it for another. It didn't bother me that much - I wanted to see what it was like to shoot the gun, but I wasn't very pleased with the results.

It's like motorcycles - I look at most of the new ones with swooping, flowing lines, plastic all over, and I thoroughly dislike them. I like motorcycles from the 1970's or so, that didn't have all the stuff covering them up.

The Kimber - I'm scared to check what it costs. I like it more than the little S&W 1911 that was $1200.

I'll go back now and find what 'kar 98' wrote.

Follow-up question - what are good holsters or cases for the PPK/S ?

·
Registered
102 Posts
The Kimber - I'm scared to check what it costs. I like it more than the little S&W 1911 that was $1200.

I'll go back now and find what 'kar 98' wrote.

Follow-up question - what are good holsters or cases for the PPK/S ?
I paid $487 for my entry-level Kimber Micro 9, brand new, from Bud’s Gun Shop. I think Cabelas sells them for $550 or so. A real bargain. You can easily spend more as they offer a zillion different versions with funky colors, laser sights built into the grips, additional checkering and stippling, etc.

My PPK came with an IWB paddle holster and I bought a Bianchi Shadow because I prefer a thumb break. I haven’t shopped for a holster for the Kimber yet. I may try a pocket holster, as it is so small it will easily fit into a front pocket of a pair of jeans or shorts.

·
Registered
3,216 Posts
Well, I'm one of these old style guys. I love steel, cold-worked.

My main pistols are a CZ 75 ('short rail' version, made in 1979) and a PPK in .32 ('62).

The PPK is a great gun and great to shoot if you place/rest your little finger correctly. On a distance of 15 yards you'll be impressed of the accuracy.

I do not like the PPK/S. If I would need the longer grip, I would choose the PP. The PPK/S resulted by the US- gun contol act (1968) and it's an optical rape.

·
Registered
23 Posts
michaeljessemyers,

Try to find one you can shoot. That really is going to help you decide.

If you want to find one, you'll have to search. Shops have them but they are limited. But search via the internet using the string "ppk" and include the model number. Get that off the Walter Website. Your results then will be more comprehensive.

If you want a new one, prepare to spend $600 minimum for a stainless, then you have shipping and transfer fees. The blacks are very hard to find. I think the dealers know and the few I saw were priced higher, but I wasn't going to pay $750+ so decided to keep looking. Used 32's are going to be way more.

My local gun shop knew I was looking and called to tell me that they had just gotten an older S in on trade. So I paid under $500 with tax and everything but it only came with one magazine. It was an very good shape and using some links here, figured out it probably made in 1980. I bought two mags for $35 each.

I have another smaller gun - Sig P938 with a little mag extension. Its about the same size. But the PPK/S fits my hand better. I'm actually more comfortable shooting the Walther because of that. I do not sense the harsh effect so many others describe. I find the PPK/S POA-POI really consistent inside 15 yards.

As far as a CC, I carry a HK P30 like 95% of the time. I won't change that. The rest of the time though I vary between a couple of pistols. But they all share the same attributes - SA/DA. I carry everything decocked and I really like the DA trigger pull on the PPK/S.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #48
SEARCH OVER (for now)

A new friend of mine is buying a new gun for himself, and selling me a like-new PPK/S for a reasonable price with two magazines.

Thanks to everyone here for all the help! I learned a lot, and about a lot more than just the Walther guns.

Feel free to continue the discussion. I guess I will soon be looking for an appropriate holster for it, to go in my pocket.

·
Super Moderator
7,158 Posts
You'll find the steel PPK/s heavy for pocket carry, and the beavertail/hammer and sight probably speak against a clean draw from same.
Figure on a belt rig. Unhappily, the only way to know if you really like a holster is to buy it and try it. Fortunately, kydex holsters are fairly reasonably priced, so it's possible to try some without going broke.
Moon

·
Registered
257 Posts
I read some, but not all post and I myself match my carry choice with my wardrobe I'm wearing that particular day, so some days my S&W Walther 380 gets carried, I've ran enough rounds through it I feel comfortable with it.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #52 (Edited)
Sorry, in retrospect, maybe I should have asked about the reasons for getting one platform compared to another. I was thinking too much about "Waltther" vs. "the rest". It's obvious that "the rest" includes many, many different platforms and guns.

My original post was prompted by attending a Sheriff's session on what to do if you find yourself in an "active shooter" incident. The choices were "run, hide, or fight", in that order.

That would probably mean shooting at 15 to 25 yards, not six feet or less, assuming you want to prevent the shooter from getting too close to you if possible. I would then be thinking that a 9mm would be more appropriate, but the more powerful the gun, the more difficult it would be to aim it accurately, let alone all the stress you'd be under. That means a heavier gun might be preferable, and a gun that shoots accurately would be most important. The article I just read on the USCCA website about the PPK makes it seem even better than I already thought it was. See below....

So, for all of you suggesting different guns, if you were say, 20 yards away from the shooter, how well would these other guns allow you to shoot, hand held, and maybe one handed (presenting a smaller profile for the shooter to shoot you). compared to a PPK?

https://www.usconcealedcarry.com/blog/still-contender-walther-ppks/

·
Registered
9,552 Posts
Congratulations Michael. Everyone should have at least 1 PP of some kind. Let us know what your think about it when you get a chance. :) 1917

·
Registered
2,788 Posts
Dunno anymore if it was in this thread or another one where the subject came up but the "hide, run, fight" videos are a PSA from DHS.gov. Fine for the general population, I guess, but when it comes to needing to improvise a weapon, I'll be able to fashion one out of my Micro 9. If 7+1+7 rounds won't do the trick, I guess I should have picked one of the other options. And at up to 15 yards, it shoots hole in hole for me right at what I'm looking at.

I like this PSA a little bit better :
https://www.uslawshield.com/surviving-active-shooter-workpalce/?utm_medium=email&utm_source=newsletter_nl&utm_campaign=september_4_2019

·
Registered
3 Posts
I probably got one of the last ppk/s in stock at Buds.
and ever since I keep seeing the out of stock on their inventory.
I called Walther and they volunteered that production guns
were going to preferred dealers and they had a waiting
list so they were being sold in that fashion.

At 50 feet the gun was fairly accurate to me
I got on paper and the accuracy was fairly dead on.

When I first got it I got a lot of hangups in the chamber.
(stovepipes) after it wore in a little it seemed to fire better.
you'll have to see what kind of ammo it likes.

·
Super Moderator
7,158 Posts
Michael, due respect, but I really think you need to get some serious training. Your repeated questions about engaging targets at 15 to 25 yards is one indication; 21 feet is considered a minimum defensive distance. Engaging at 25 yards is harder than it sounds (try it!), and, legally, you'd have some serious 'splanin to do...the law feels you have other options if the threat is that far away. And if you miss (as is apt to happen), every bullet has a lawyer attached.
So get that training, money well spent. In the meantime, shoot the whee out of that Walther, and see how it runs.
Best,
Moon

Reactions: 71B20 and mpgus

·
Registered
69 Posts
My original post was prompted by attending a Sheriff's session on what to do if you find yourself in an "active shooter" incident. The choices were "run, hide, or fight", in that order.

...So, for all of you suggesting different guns, if you were say, 20 yards away from the shooter, how well would these other guns allow you to shoot, hand held, and maybe one handed (presenting a smaller profile for the shooter to shoot you). compared to a PPK?
In this sort of middling range of 15-25 yards, if you're armed with anything that'll cause penetration, I don't think there's going to be any serious difference; that's why my post before about the firearm that fits you. The one that won't work is the one you didn't have with you, that you can't deploy, or that you miss with. I myself don't wish to be shot by any firearm at those ranges.

I found twelve cites of this sort of data when I was looking for something else and now took 15 minutes to find one... but this:

https://www.buckeyefirearms.org/alternate-look-handgun-stopping-power

and I'd like to point at just one stat: 'Failure to incapacitate.' After all, the goal of self-defense is to cause the threat to cease. In the chart therein .22, .25, .32 have a significant chance to fail to incapacitate and everything else has a very low chance to fail.

I will say that in .380 we will need to look a bit harder to find a suitable round than in .45. With modern developments, either works. Anyone Kevlared up enough to change that will have you wishing for a rifle or glad you've been practicing the overhand throw of your metal-framed PPK/S. :D

·
Registered
45 Posts
The PPK/S is a good solid firearm with a little heft to it and with the blow-back design (fixed barrel) it makes it accurate. But, like with any pistol practice, practice and practice some more

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #60 (Edited)
Michael, due respect, but I really think you need to get some serious training. Your repeated questions about engaging targets at 15 to 25 yards is one indication; 21 feet is considered a minimum defensive distance. Engaging at 25 yards is harder than it sounds (try it!), and, legally, you'd have some serious 'splanin to do...the law feels you have other options if the threat is that far away. And if you miss (as is apt to happen), every bullet has a lawyer attached.
So get that training, money well spent. In the meantime, shoot the whee out of that Walther, and see how it runs.
Best,
Moon
I normally shoot at 25 and 50 yards one handed (Bullseye), and normally (at 25) I am in the 8-ring or better. I think I posted that what got me to consider "carrying" is the "active shooter scenario". If someone with an AR15 is walking around shooting, I figure if they get much closer than that to me, I'm either going to be hiding or dead.

For self defense, I understand and agree with you. Then we're talking feet. But again, that's not what I'm preparing for, and is why I'm so concerned with the accuracy of the gun.

(And there's also the scenario where the shooter is wearing body armor, in which case you'd be aiming at an even smaller target.....)

In the scenario of someone armed with such a gun walking around in a store, church, or whatever, and you were there, would you wait until the person was even 20 feet away from you?

41 - 60 of 136 Posts