Walther Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I'm looking at this Walther PPK 7.65mm for sale with "X" out marking, from what I have researched it looks like post-war or late war 1944? but them I'm also see if the ejection port has a number thats typically the year. with that said there is a circle marking that has been X'ed out, could this have been a police surplus that was later sold for commercial use? Also trying to determine value, I've seen a range from 400-2K+

New the the forum appreciate thoughts hope the images are helpful to see if this gun is unique.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,528 Posts
According to the site where it is listed for sale it has 67 in the ejection port which makes it of 1967 vintage. And I am the furthest one from an expert but I think it has been refinished based on the faded lettering on the left side. Others will be along to confirm this or prove that I really know nothing about these things.

·
Registered
3,370 Posts
I am no expert, but I agree that it looks to be refinished.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
interesting, any idea what that X out marking is, I haven't come across any with this marking? Would this help or hurt value?

·
Registered
864 Posts
I'm looking at this Walther PPK 7.65mm for sale with "X" out marking, from what I have researched it looks like post-war or late war 1944? but them I'm also see if the ejection port has a number thats typically the year. with that said there is a circle marking that has been X'ed out, could this have been a police surplus that was later sold for commercial use? Also trying to determine value, I've seen a range from 400-2K+

New the the forum appreciate thoughts hope the images are helpful to see if this gun is unique.
I agree with you that the x'd out marking was the property stamp of one of the W German Landespolizei. The property marking was defaced and the gun released for commercial sales and export.

Reactions: kpasha

·
Registered
211 Posts
I'd hazard a guess that it has been refiished. The roll mark on the slide is usaully much deeper for the later 60's PPKs, but maybe it's the anle of the photo. Some of the later ones (late 70's) appear much more shallow but reasonable minds may disagree.

·
Registered
2,109 Posts
Rometti, that would be a great carry & shooter. The X out on the police marking would be a plus that should bring the price down. I have been looking at it too as I have a 1966 just like it. They have been going for $800 up for one like that.

Like Mike, I don't believe it has been refinished. It looks like a nice gun.

·
Premium Member
6,722 Posts
What's strange is that a 1967 PPK would have been used, traded, and imported before the '68 GCA ban. Maybe it was brought in later for police & government sale.

·
Premium Member
13,914 Posts
What's strange is that a 1967 PPK would have been used, traded, and imported before the '68 GCA ban. Maybe it was brought in later for police & government sale.
Quite so. For department orders only. The price was $159.

The lighting in the photograph seems to have washed out parts of the left-hand slide legend. Moreover, in some periods of manufacture of German PP-series pistols, the legend was not roll-marked but rather acid-etched, which is shallower and not as sharp as roll-marking with a die.

M

·
Registered
1,528 Posts
Rometti,

Can you take a photo clearly depicting the lettering on the left side of this pistol. Look at my photo below to see what I'm taking about.

Gun Trigger Revolver Air gun

·
Registered
318 Posts
I'd say at a glance, and even looking at the photos a little closer it is most definitely not re-blued, and I've been collecting and handling Walthers for 20 + years.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Everyone if your interested in this gun, its up for bid at Gunbroker.com,wanted to give a little inside track on this gun, its currently bidding at $805, my bid that right now is winning is $810, however I'm pulling out looking to buy a different gun, so its all yours for anyone who wants it!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.