Walther Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,969 Posts
Thanks for the head's-up but you won't find any U.S. buyers.

These have been illegal to import since '68.

·
Registered
20 Posts
What about the German made ppks being sold by Earl's Repair Service (a.k.a. www.carlwalther.com). He has numerous ppk and ppk/s variants in 22, 32 and 38 cal. I assume these can be purchased legally ?

Are these LNIB German made guns really worth the BIG mark-up versus a new S&W made ppk ? I'm looking to buy my wife one in 32 cal.

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
MTMS4,

The PPK/S is still legal to import. The PPK/S was Walther's answer to the restrictions imposed by GCA'68. Basically the PPK/S meets the size requirements by mating the PPK slide to a PP frame. The PPK has too small of dimensions to be imported.

So the PPK's and PPK/S's that you see from Earl's are German made, however the PPK's are probably pre '68 made models or they were bought from a government or police official, who had a special permit to import the PPK.

Are the German ones better? In my opinion yes. Are they worth the price? That's an individuals decision. The German made guns have more collector value than the S&W or previously made Interarms PPK's. So if you want a shooter or carry gun, I'd say go with the S&W made gun. It won't be as refined as the German made one and some say they don't work as well as the German made guns, but you won't be loosing the value of the gun either when you scuff it up from carrying it around all the time.

Another option would be to look for a well used German PPK. You can usually find these at reasonable prices and you won't loose much value, because the gun is already been used.

Another option might be the slightly larger PP. There are many police turn-in's on the market right now and they're going for as little as $300.

Hope this helps

Devin

·
Registered
20 Posts
Devin,

Thanks for the great info. This is a real dichotomy for me. Even though it will be my wife's gun, and I'm sure she'd be quite happy with a S&W-made one, I'm more inclined to go for a German-made one from Earl's. It won't be a carry gun (we basically shoot for fun down at the range) so it should be easy to keep it in nice condition. I'm a big HK fan and I find it really hard to buy a "collector's piece" and simply treat it as a safe queen; I like to shoot all the guns I own.

I think I'll give Earl's a call and check out their prices.

Anyone got any photos of a German ppk or ppk/s in the factory nickel or chrome finish ?

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
I know what you mean by safe queens. I have a couple of safe queens myself and I've been in turmoil lately as to whether I should sell them off and buy me some more "practical" guns that I can enjoy shooting, rather than just looking at them in my safe.

You might want to check Gunsamerica.com and forthehunt.com for good shootable PPK's and PPK/S's.

If your looking for a chrome or stainless German made gun, your probably going to pay through the nose. They didn't make very many.

Devin

·
Registered
20 Posts
Devin,

Thanks again.........I'm now trying to get my wife interested in a HK P7K3 (32ACP) which is something I really want. However, she's adamant that she wants a ppk (and she hasn't even fired one), so I may succomb and buy her a new S&W ppk; I'm sure she'll be happy with that (and get the P7K3 for me !!).

·
Registered
1 Posts
MTMS4,
Like your wife, I've always wanted a PPK(German and mint), but most of them are a little pricey(may still get one if it's outstanding). It would probably be a safe queen. So, I bought one of the Manurhin PP's that Centerfires selling(229.00 if you mention another gun forum). The thing was nearly mint; only the hint of wear on the muzzle. My wife shoots .22's and has refused to shoot centerfires because of arthritis. In comes the PP, she tries it and now she has a .32 auto, so I ordered a second one and it's identical(in condition) to hers. You might have her look at them at www.centerfiresystems.com; the 2 I got are beautiful and I'm picky. jrobb

·
Registered
20 Posts
Quick update on my Walther PP, 7.65 purchase from

www.centerfiresystems.com

I called them and spoke with Lois Luttrell and she personally checked the condition of the gun for me and ensured I was sent one in very good condition. She also gave me a $20 discount (even after they'd processed the order) for mentioning her thread on www.thehighroad.org regarding these guns. What nice people to do business with; highly recommended.

So, I managed to snag a "classic" in almost "as new" condition (blued with black grips, matching serial numbers, box 2 mags and holster) for a total of $271....what a treat, can't wait.

Thanks to JRobb45 for putting me onto this great deal.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Devin,

That's peculiar and it also happened to me yesterday when I tried to access their handgun inventory using my pc at work......I didn't have this problem with my home pc (could it be security settings or something like that ??).

Bill.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Devin,

Just tried www.centerfire.com again from my work's pc and everything was fine. Simply choose "handguns" from the drop-down box and you should have access to their inventory without being prompted for a name/password......must have been something wrong with their site yesterday pm.

Bill.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts