Walther Forums banner

21 - 36 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
702 Posts
...I took that information along with measuring the sight height and sight radius and plugged it into the Dawson Sight Calculator. The result was that I need a front sight that is 0.329 inches tall. Dawson has a fiber optic front sight that is 0.33 inches tall for $39 shipped. It will be here on Monday.
Great! Be sure to give a report on how it is working.

How high is the back of your red dot to the top of the slide?

·
Registered
702 Posts
With the milling of my 4", the top of the Viper is 0.234 inches. The sight I ordered from Dawson (Tritium) is 0.345 inches tall and 0.245 inches from the top of the slide to the bottom of the white Tritium white insert. I'm pretty sure this will give me the lollipop I want. I have no idea how long it will take, but when it gets here I will report.

And thanks again Dawson Precision tech support for taking time to go and get actual measurements for me. :D

·
Super Moderator
14,390 Posts
OK, here's some pictures of the AmeriGlo .240 Tall sight installed on the Q. Anxious to see what kind of sight picture I'm going to have to use. Keeping in mind that the standard sights are simply a backup to the 'optic'.....only to be used if the optic quits working.

In addition, locating the front sight in the window, is currently a big 'plus' in helping me find the dot. I'm definitely slower finding the dot at night. BUT, I've got other Q's set up with Viridian XL5's for night time use.

Ameriglo does offer this sight in a .350 tall version as well as the regular 'white' outline tritium sight. So, I'll see how I like the .240.....its always possible to try one of the taller sights.....that'll rule out the use of the Safariland holster and would require modifying my kydex mold (increasing the sight channel height) to allow for the use of the taller sight. Compromises, compromises.......hmmmmm.

Here ya go.

·
Registered
702 Posts
OK, here's some pictures of the AmeriGlo .240 Tall sight installed on the Q. Anxious to see what kind of sight picture I'm going to have to use...
Do you have the red dot sighted in yet, or are these pictures before sighting in everything?

I would say after sighting in the red dot, turn it off and see where your irons are hitting. Your sight picture may even have the rear sight split the dot instead of lollipopping it.

Then, let's see one of your pictures (they are great, by the way) with the red dot sighted in to see where the irons are in relation to the red dot.

Crap! This is all the stuff I am going to do, but I just can't wait. ;)

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
I dont get the whole red dot thing on a pistol. With the dot so much higher than a normal sight wouldn't that mean your shots will always hit significantly lower making you have to put the dot an inch or so oboe the intended target?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Update - DPP on, sighted in & tested!

On Saturday I purchased the Leupold Delta Point Pro. I did not purchase the optional rear sight. I did not take off my front sight.

Today they put it on, sighted it in and off I went to a lane, target set at 13 yards.

I had no idea if I'd be "chasing the red dot" for the majority of the time or I'd go right to it... I went right to it. :)

For the probably 2 times I didn't see it immediately, I went right to my front sight and then ever-so-slightly turned the barrel downward and there it was. At that point, you will no longer see the front sight at all - but it's perfect to have if you think you may need it to find the dot.

After they sighted it in, I adjusted by 3 clicks on my own and it was then dead on. (I think it would have taken me a very long time to sight it in from the start, although the fine-tuning is very easy.)

No reading glasses! The brightness adjustment allowed for a perfectly clear and sharp tiny dot.

All the frustration of magnifier/reading glasses leaving you settling for the best compromise is gone!

A huge thank you to all that gave advice.

The testing day photo attached is after the 3 click adjustment, 40 rounds, 13 yards.

:)

Attachments

·
Registered
978 Posts
I dont get the whole red dot thing on a pistol. With the dot so much higher than a normal sight wouldn't that mean your shots will always hit significantly lower making you have to put the dot an inch or so oboe the intended target?
If you set the dot and bullet to converge at say 25 yards and you shoot a target at point blank range, the bullet would impact about an inch low. For action shooting events, where most shots are somewhere in between, you won't be off by more than a fraction of an inch, but once you become proficient with a red dot, for most people anyway, it's much faster.

·
Super Moderator
14,390 Posts
Do you have the red dot sighted in yet, or are these pictures before sighting in everything? ...
No, I've not been to the range yet.....hope to go tomorrow.

Yep, that's my plan...get the red dot dialed in, then shoot with the irons to see where they print.....then see if I can adjust my sight picture to move the POI to the POA.....or is that the POA to the POI????:D

I've got another care package due to be delivered tomorrow, and I plan to go by and pick it up then go to the range if I have enough time. If I don't make it to the range tomorrow, I'll surely go on Tuesday.

BTW, I've been wearing the new combo all day long....in its new holster. It's workin' like a champ.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I set up a Burris on my Q5 with the lazer. Set the dot elevation at the front sightpost or any elevated point above the sight post. When you are satisified with the distance you are done. If you have a problem locating the dot, use the front post to locate it. Works

·
Registered
429 Posts
How about a update oldfart?

·
Registered
1 Posts
I am unsure if the height of the DPP with iron sights will work with the Q5's fiber optic front sight. I have searched the Internet for an answer and found none. If anyone has a DPP I would greatly appriciate some feed back.
I purchased the iron sights for my Q5 Match SF and it doesn't work. The front sight is too low. There is this little disclaimer on the Leupold website for the DDP iron sight stating a taller front sight may be required.

I was not happy after I learned this news.

·
Super Moderator
14,390 Posts
I purchased the iron sights for my Q5 Match SF and it doesn't work. The front sight is too low. There is this little disclaimer on the Leupold website for the DDP iron sight stating a taller front sight may be required.

I was not happy after I learned this news.
I found that a .415 tall front sight works with the DPP.

21 - 36 of 36 Posts