Walther Forums banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Walther PPQ Q5 Match with Leupold DDP?

I have a Q5 on its way. I have been looking at the different red dots for it. I am leaning towards the DDP because of the iron sights that can be added to it.

Will the DPP iron sights co-witness on the Q5 or is it too high?

Does anyone have a DPP with the iron sights?

Any opinions or advice is welcome
Thanks

·
Super Moderator
14,419 Posts
https://www.leupold.com/hunting-shooting/scopes/deltapoint-reflex-sights/deltapoint-pro/

Features

Allows co-witnessing through the DeltaPoint Pro
Speeds aiming point acquisition
Provides positive backup in case of battery failure
Specifically for handguns

The Leupold DeltaPoint Pro Rear iron Sight mounts on he rearward portion of the Leupold DeltaPoint Pro red Dot Sight. This will provide co-witness between iron sights and the red-dot, and gives a fail proof back-up in case of battery failure. The use of this added to your DeltaPoint Pro will speed up target acquisition. The DeltaPoint Pro Rear Iron Sight is made specifically for handguns.

Note: This is for the Iron Rear sight only for the DeltaPoint Pro, not for the Red-Dot Sight (906452)

Technical Information

Material: Not Specified by Manufacturer

Fits: Leupold DeltaPoint Pro Red Dot Sight

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I am unsure if the height of the DPP with iron sights will work with the Q5's fiber optic front sight. I have searched the Internet for an answer and found none. If anyone has a DPP I would greatly appriciate some feed back.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I have a Burris fast fire3 on my Q5 which has a white line at the rear of the red dot that gives a sort of co-witness to the gun.

·
Registered
702 Posts
Will the DPP iron sights co-witness on the Q5?
You do not need to co-witness, only to have the rear sights come up high enough to be able to get a sight picture through the glass.

You need to measure how high the DPP sight will be in relationship to the top of the pistol. The front sight needs to be about 0.040" lower than the rear. Dawson has a 0.410" high front sight, which means that the rear should be 0.450" high.

Can you get the height for the DPP?

·
Registered
76 Posts
I have a Q5 and DP-Pro… I'm pretty sure that the front sight will be too low to co-witness. I took mine off as I didn't want to see two red dots.

With a couple of hours of dry-fire practice you won't need iron sights anyway.

Here's a picture of mine, I don't see how it could co-witness.

Walther Q5.png

·
Registered
978 Posts
I have a Burris fast fire3 on my Q5 which has a white line at the rear of the red dot that gives a sort of co-witness to the gun.
I have the exact same setup and after sighting the red dot in, tried the co-witness sights, putting the fiber optic front sight on top of the white line, built into the FF3. It shot 4 inches high at 7 yards. Good enough for COM shots, but not any distance.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I have a Q5 and DP-Pro…
So after even more reading over the week, I'm going to order the DP-Pro and not the optional rear iron sight.

Seems to be split between the people that say you need the iron sights so you don't constantly "chase" the red dot and those that say in no time, you'll be able to quickly find it. Hoping that's what I say after a week!

Question - It appears easy enough to put on myself. Do I then take it to a gunsmith to calibrate?

Thank you for sharing.

·
Super Moderator
14,419 Posts
denise....sighting in (calibrating) a red dot is not much different than sighting in iron sights. Meaning you'll use a rest of some sort, squeeze off 3 or 4 shots, then use the adjustment screws on the Red Dot to adjust or correlate your POA and your POI.

This procedure should be spelled out in the DeltaPro owners manual. Piece-0-cake.

Oh, and here's a sneak peek. I just got this one assembled today. I've got to take it to the range to sight it in. Will post a review later.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Thank you!

Optics are new to me so I like to know all the necessary steps so I don't blindly leap forward and wonder why things aren't working properly. I had no idea something that needed to be so accurate could be done yourself.

Between last week and now I've learned a lot - some from internet searches, but most because of the generosity of people like yourself sharing your knowledge.

Time to find the website and place my order.

Although I love my Q5 now, I'm so looking forward to add this.

:)

·
Registered
76 Posts
The instructions for mounting the scope are in the instruction book that came with the gun, the Allen wrench is also included with the gun, I think it's in the bag with the trigger lock.
You can do it all yourself, ensuring that the mounting plate is screwed down nice and tight.

You can use a penny to adjust the scope.

I'd suggest sighting in at 10 yards to start (just to make sure that the shots are on the target) then move the target back to 20 yards to fine-tune.

Each click will move the dot 1 inch at 100 yards, or 1/2 inch at 50 yards.

If you're an inch low at 20 yards then it will need 5 clicks.

The adjustment screws are marked UP and RIGHT and indicate the direction that the shots will go. So for example if your shots are low then you will move the screw in the UP direction (which will be anti clockwise).

·
Registered
18 Posts
Ordering this morning. Printing out all the helpful advice to go along with the manual and look forward to getting it right. I'm still (pleasantly) surprised that something that must be so accurate can so easily be set.

Many thanks for your detailed advice! :)

·
Super Moderator
14,419 Posts
I just downloaded the Deltapoint Pro manual.....didn't see anything in the manual about sighting in.

Here's what my Vortex Viper manual says. The part you need to remember is in bold. I assume the Deltapoint Pro will adjust the same way. Maybe Liveshots can confirm.

Using the center of the three-shot group as a reference, make the necessary adjustments for windage and elevation correction. Using arrows for reference, adjust dials in the direction you wish the group to move. At 25 yards, each dial mark will yield about ¼ inch of adjustment.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I will be adding this info to my notes. Looks like I should be able to do this. If for any reason I don't feel like I'm as accurate as I should be I will get help and shoot my PPQ while I'm waiting!

Again, many thanks for your time and valuable information. :)

·
Registered
76 Posts
Here's what my Vortex Viper manual says. The part you need to remember is in bold. I assume the Deltapoint Pro will adjust the same way. Maybe Liveshots can confirm.

Using the center of the three-shot group as a reference, make the necessary adjustments for windage and elevation correction. Using arrows for reference, adjust dials in the direction you wish the group to move. At 25 yards, each dial mark will yield about ¼ inch of adjustment.
Yes, its the same for the DP-Pro. The dials indicate the POI (point of impact) adjustment. UP moves the bullets UP, and RIGHT moves the bullets to the RIGHT.

·
Registered
545 Posts
I have the DPP and the rear site. I just ordered a .38 Dawson site and will see if it works. it wont be a true co-witness but Its will provide a back up

·
Registered
130 Posts
I just put a Burris Fastfire 3 on my PPQ. Took it the range last night. I am very happy with it.

Bart Carter's thread provided the information and inspiration needed to do it. I have a friend that is a machinist. He milled the slide for free.

Anyways, following up on Bart's idea to use the front sight as a lollipop type aiming picture. The white line on the back of the FF3 works great. Currently, I have a Dawson standard height tritium front sight. I used that am shot a group that averaged 8.25 inches high from 10 yards.

I took that information along with measuring the sight height and sight radius and plugged it into the Dawson Sight Calculator. The result was that I need a front sight that is 0.329 inches tall. Dawson has a fiber optic front sight that is 0.33 inches tall for $39 shipped. It will be here on Monday.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts