Walther Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

First off I would like to thank you all for posting so much great information. It is a great Forum.
Having said that I am having trouble figuring out the history of my PP Sport. IT carries the Serial Number 56283L
Does anyone know when this was manufactured?

Thanks,

BB

Attachments

·
Premium Member
13,914 Posts
It will have the last two digits of the year of manufacture stamped on it somewhere, usually over the chamber. Probably six-something.

M

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
There does not appear to be an other marks on it. There is a small proof mark at the front right side of the slide and the matching serial number inside the slide but no other markings.

Could it be a 1956 as this is the first two number in the serial? 56284L

·
Registered
100 Posts
Since 1958, a mark for the year of the proof test is mandatory in Germany. Before 1958 the year could be stamped, but it was not mandatory.
If there is no proof mark for the year on your PPK, this indicates a production before 1958.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Additional advice:
Maybe you send a request with the serial number of your PPK Sport to Walther Germany for getting information about the production date.
I did that by email for my P5 compact 2 days after I bought it in the early November this year. Already three days later I got the answer with the exact date, when the pistol was delivered from the factory in Ulm.
That was an excellent and very courteous service.

·
Premium Member
8,637 Posts
Because this is a Manurhin production PP Sport it may be a bit harder to date...I'm checking my books to try to get a general date range but I think by the earlier style St Etienne proof mark that it is a very early age PP.
If it is in fact dated to 56 the 56 in the serial number prefix is IMHO purely coincidental.

Possibly others who have 22 LL PPs with known dates in this serial range will chime in an educate us with their serial numbers.

It is a lovely weapon with a well preserved holster.

Reactions: GeoNole94

·
Registered
3,318 Posts
It will have the last two digits of the year of manufacture stamped on it somewhere, usually over the chamber. Probably six-something.

M
True if it was a Walther, but Manurhin didn't use dates or date codes.

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
According to W.H.B. Smith, the PP Sport was introduced in 1961. The lowest serial number I have is Manurhin 5056xC, the highest is a Walther PP Sport 7021xL.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts