Walther Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,
Gordon from Ireland.
I need some info quickly to help me decide between a long or short barrelled Sport...

The short barrel (6") is in very good condition (appears unused) and is in presentation box with two mags but seems to be missing a barrel weight and all documents. It's single action.

The long barrel (8") is in quite good condition with, it seems, just some scraping on the bolt. It comes in original cardboard box with two mags and all documents including test target. It's the double action, single action model.
Yeah, I've got problems in life :)

I shoot gallery for pastime and competition with a S&W Model 41 so I'm interested in accuracy and balance but also I'm a bit of an OCD collector! That is I'd like to get the most rare, complete pistol too!
So it's shiny short in plush box versus slightly used looking long with all documents.

Help me please! Thanks in advance!

·
Premium Member
26,070 Posts
Greetings, Gordon. Nice to have you with us. I'm an old UCD guy, by the way. Great spot in the world.

For that its worth, both are terrific pistols. But if you are shooting for competition, the longer barrel will provide better results, all else being equal. Given the extra goodies that come with that particular gun, I would tend to drift in that direction, provided that both pistols are mechanically sound.

How about some photos, if you get the chance?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi! Thanks for the welcome. UCD?? That's a long way from the West Coast! Hope you enjoyed your time here!
Yes the longer barrel's tempting but the short looks so good and is a minter.
I'll post a couple of photos here and see what you think..
How many were produced of each I wonder?
When I was a kid my Dad was a Special Branch Detective in Red Section in Dublin Casle and he carried a PPK so I've always loved the PP or PPK type. As we're not permitted short centre fire pistols here the next best is the PP Sport in .22 so that'll give you some idea of my mindset here.

Attachments

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
So it's nearly midnight here and I'll hit the hay. So I'll reply tomorrow when I finish work. Looking forward to waking up to some great advice! Thanks one and all. Nice to be on here. S&W guy converting to Walther!
I could only upload one photo per 'reply' so sorry for the row of posts back there.

·
Super Moderator
7,319 Posts
Gordon m'boy-
Hope you end up with a happy decision about your pistol, and you've already noted one restriction you face there. How much trouble is it to own a handgun in the Auld Sod?
Thanks,
Moon

·
Premium Member
26,070 Posts
So perhaps the easy answer is to get them both, my friend. You can't lose anything but a few quid/euros if you go in that direction. :)

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Searcher, I like your thinking! Unfortunately this weeks budget rises to just one PP :)
Universal', I like your handle. I bet you had to get on the forum early to get that one!?
153, I'm beginning to roll in that direction alright.condition wise it looks perfect and the short has nice proportions but as was mentioned the longer the barrel the better the accuracy. However I think I asked a sour German dealer one question to many about getting a better photo of the bolt on the long barrel to establish its condition and was fairly much told to take it or leave it! It has all the original docs but condition is not 1. So if he's not actually willing to do his job as vendor..
I may have sourced an actual long barrel that I can swap out if I buy the short.
Alfonzo and Halfmoon, yes as Universal correctly points out and you are most likely aware, we are an independent republic though I sometimes wonder how independent! Yes in the UK pistols were effectively banned in the 90's I think after the Dunblaine massacre and they can only use ridiculously long barrelled 'pistols' with counter weight from the grip making them I think two feet long or thereabouts! Eg the Pardini long pistol.
Here in the Emerald Isle you may only possess and use a pistol/revolver if a member of a recognised club or range. I am a member of Harbour House in Booleigh (pronounced Boo-lee-ahhh) located between Kildare and Athy.
It must be .22 and limited to 5 round mags (mags not policed to the extreme). There are members who own and fire centre fire pistols as when these were banned here they took s class action I believe and won. Now I think if the pistol breaks or wears out they may not buy another but not sure on that. The idea being that eventually centre fire pistol ownership will die out through owner or pistol.
Lads, once again thank you very much for the warm welcome and advice. You know where the club is now if you make your way over here. Thank God the dollar has improved somewhat and makes travel to Europe a little easier for you.
I'm just gonna have to buy a Walther to stay on the forum I reckon!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Oh yes and the other problem with gun ownership here is that each firearm must have an end user licence and they are not easily gotten so as such buying the two pistols may be impossible. I already have three licensed .22 pistols and I think that's a local record here!
Ironically in Northern Ireland, (you might have heard of it on the news over the years! Brad Pitt Devils Own etc) you may posses a large calibre pistol with small effort. And I don't believe the crime stats show an increase in the murder rate due to this.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Gordon: If you buy the shorter barrel PP, unless you have access to a skilled gunsmith, a swap to a longer barrel is not easy. I like the 6" PP, but if serious competition is a prime goal you need the longer barrel and weight to equal a Smith 41. That said, I own a Smith & Wesson 41 and don't shoot it well. I do best with an old High Standard and a Colt Woodsman Match Target. I have never seen, much less fired, a PP Sport, and I worked in a high volume gun store for 10 years.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thanks Mike,
I only came across one long barrel for sale and I tried to buy it but when I asked the vendor to send me a clearer photo of the bolt so I could decide on its condition he got a bit angry and basically wrote me to take it or leave it :/
I attach a zoomed in image of the bolt which to me showed some wear that made me question it. I'd really like your and others opinions on that.
The short that I'm considering seems immaculate leaving me no doubt about its mechanical condition etc.
I'm primarily buying a Walther because the PPK was my Dad's sidearm in the Irish Special Branch Red Section which monitored the commies back in the 70's 80's. I grew up with it and loved it's unique form. The only legal version I can have in Ireland is the .22 with 6" or 8" barrel PP Sport so the short barrel ticks most boxes there. I shoot middle to top of the field with the 51/2" barrelled 41 but will upgrade it to a 6.5" Clark barrel soon. I've a 41-1 short with 73/8" barrel being shipped from Germany so the Walther may not be my primary comp. pistol. However I think I'll like it and would like it to be competitive so your point on the long barrel is very valid to me.
What do you think of the wear in the photo? Also from the collector side was the 6" barrel version rarer?
Thanks again guys.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 28 Posts