Walther Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Walther PP in caliber 7.65mm I bought 26 years ago for my wife. I have never fired it and neither did my wife. It is a used pistol manufactured in about 1971 in West Germany. It had been converted to 380 acp by a previous owner. I had it converted back to the original caliber. I don't know much about older Walther pistols. I do have a PPK/S in 380 that I bought new in 1991. As I am sure you all know the PPK/S has a ribbed magazine and positively locks the slide back on the last round.
Now for my question. The slide does not lock back on my PP. I have an original Walther 7.65mm magazine and a Manurhin magazine in 7.65mm. Neither will lock the slide back and due to my ignorance of older pistols I don't even know if the slide is supposed to lock back. I have removed the slide and inserted my magazines. Neither move the ejector/slide lock up at all. So I am asking the experts here if I have a problem or if the older PP pistol was designed not to lock the slide back on the last round. Thanks in advance for your help.

·
Registered
327 Posts
It should lock back with the last round ejected. The slide lock, pushed up from the mag follower, may have been damaged or switched out when it was converted to .380 and then back.

·
Super Moderator
7,523 Posts
No end of opportunities for mischief with two caliber conversions. Is the barrel solid in the frame boss?
Take the slide off, insert a mag, and see if the follower is engaging the slide stop/ejector.
Moon

Reactions: pilkguns

·
Registered
78 Posts
Good afternoon,

Sorry about your difficulties. If you could post a photo of your pistol, with the slide removed, looking downward into the magazine well, this forum can help. I suspect you have the wrong slide lock/ejector installed.

Be well,
David

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Thank you everybody for taking the time to reply and for your expert advise. I ordered a new ejector/slide stop for the 7.65mm cartridge and that solved the problem. The "gunsmith", and I use that term loosely, installed the wrong ejector/slide stop when he converted the pistol back to 7.65mm from 380 auto. The barrel is still nice and tight despite being converted from 7.65mm to 380 auto and back again. I can't wait to get out and see how it shoots but that will have to wait for cooler weather. The Arizona desert is just too damn hot in the summer. Again, thank you every body for your help.

·
Super Moderator
7,523 Posts
I'd love to know the history of the double caliber swap. Glad you found a fix, and let us know how it runs.
Moon

·
Super Moderator
7,523 Posts
keltec', thnx for the comeback; Mike's remarks in the link reflect my own; it was my impression that the barrel was more of a press fit in the frame boss. In any case, glad you were able to accomplish it successfully; I concur that 7.65 is the desirable caliber in these guns.
Moon

1 - 8 of 8 Posts