Walther Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got this rather nice Walther PP in the mail today. Had bought it unseen, the seller rating it as almost perfect.....

Pistol is in about 98-99 percent. Bore is mint and the grips are perfect.

Pistol is (I think) rather early as it has the 90-degree safety and the Crown/N proof marks on slide and barrel.

Serial number is 762657.

Anyone who can tell me what year the pistol was made?

Second question, I bought this pistol with the intention to shoot it. Should I get another (later) PP to shhot with and keep this pistol as a collectable piece??

The price was OK in my opinion. 1400 Swedish Crowns which today is appr. $150

Best wishes from Sweden,
Anders

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
Anders,

That's a very nice PP!! If I were you I'd leave this one alone and find another one to shoot. This PP was made around 1933. It was definitely made before 1938, because that is the year they switched to the 60 degree safety. So judging by the serial number I'm guessing 1933.

I also think you got a steal of a deal. Here in the States, that PP would go for $900 U.S.

Devin

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Will never happen Patrik so just forget it:)

Will find some not so nice PP (like yours) and shoot that one instead.

Anders

Ps. Devin, thanks for the reply.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Anders,
There you go again teasing us with all those toys you can get in Sweden. I wouldn't shoot that one, it is way too old and nice shape.
Be aware that the pistol you have is most likely a second generation model (might be first) with the Hammer Block "C" Spring. If that spring ever breaks you will have a #### of a time getting it replaced, ask me how I know.
You got a real beaut there!

·
Registered
45 Posts
Anders,

I have an early PP, SN 726689 and it has the "C" spring. I believe yours is a first generation model. As to the "C" spring, mine was missing, but was able to find a reproduction from a dealer friend of mine. I took the pistol to a local gunsmith and asked him to install it form me. After a week, I called and he said this was the wrong spring and it should be a coil spring. I had also taken a book with photos of the "C" spring and how it was installed, but he was determined to tell me I was wrong. I just took the pistol and spring home and it took me about 30 minutes to figure out what to do.

Mine is clsoe to your in condition, but you have mne beat out! Keep this one for the future, but another to shoot. A very nice pistol, Congratulations on the purchase.

Abwehr

·
Registered
78 Posts
First Variation has the hammer block "c" spring and a complicated firing pin mechanism. The second variation has the revised firing pin, but retains the "c" spring. I have a PPK in the 770XXX serial number range, it is a second varition, the c spring was broken when I got it (found out by putting a hole in my dining room wall).

Abwehr, you must have mis-stated your serial number as they started at 750000

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well since you guys told me not to shoot the 1930 PP I just had to get one that I can shoot :)

Here she is:

Serial number 147346P, Crown/N proofs, factory lanyard loop, no chamber loaded indicator and about 98-99% finnish. Bore is mint. Came with (proper? ) Walther banner only magazine.

When was it made? 1938, 1939??

Estimated value? I paid appr. $250 for it. Not as cheap as the last one but you can't find gold each time :)

Best wishes from Sweden,
Anders

Ps. Sorry for the bad pic, will take better ones in daylight

·
Registered
2 Posts
You keep finding pearls, can't you get a Manurhin or one of those surplus West German PPs that are flooding the market?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts