Walther Forums banner

641 - 658 of 658 Posts

·
Premium Member
13,914 Posts
Of course it covers the PPK/S within the PPK chart, but as Mike wrote: Chambered in 7,65mm.

Yes, I know that is what Dieter seems to have written, but I am not sure that that is completely correct. In any event the way it is written is misleading. Which is why I took care to emphasize the limitations of those two charts --that they apply to Models PP and PPK only, and only to those guns in 7.65mm.

Considering that PPK 7.65mm production had advanced to 270,000 by 1972, how does one explain a PPK/S .380 with s/n 173,174 S dated 1973? Or a PPK .380 with s/n 122,154 A dated 1967?

It would be a mistake, I believe, to draw too many extended conclusions from these or other charts that appear in Marshall's or Kersten's books.

M

·
Registered
3,188 Posts
Nothing to do w. Dieter or Manfred (btw. Manfred never offered any charts in his books). My provable experience is: PPK/S match PPK serial number range. Refered to your list => only 7,65mm, and the list is a ballpark estimate. Walther was interested in sales figures, not in real production numbers.

·
Premium Member
13,914 Posts
...(btw. Manfred never offered any charts in his books). My provable experience is: PPK/S match PPK serial number range. ....
Then I guess I must be seeing things. That surely must be a mirage on page 275 of Manfred Kersten's Walther: A German Success Story. And I see another apparition on page 785. It must be the heat.

As for your "provable experience", let's see it.

It is entirely possible, I think, that at some point after 1968, a serial range was allocated to PPK/s pistols and that PPK .380 pistols were interspersed numerically, distinguished only by letter suffix "A". In the same manner Model PP in .380 were identified by an "A" suffix. I don't really know, but that is one interpretation from having observed numerous examples.

On the other hand, I believe that any bald unqualified statement that PPK/s were "in the PPK serial range" is at worst erroneous and at best misleading and over-broad. Others are free to decide.

M

·
Registered
3,188 Posts
OK, you may be correct about Manfred's books published by UMAREX. Thought about the book 'Walther, a German legend'. Never had these newer books myself because they are just UMAREX promotion without noticeable overvalue.

But let me repeat again: The PPK/S was numbered within the PPK serial number range, just w. a S-postfix. There is no extra serial range. It's true for all PPK(S) preproduced by Manurhin. Every caliber has got it's own SN-range. That's why your charts are for 7,65mm only. You may give it a try ;).

·
Premium Member
13,914 Posts
... Thought about the book 'Walther, a German legend'. Never had these newer books myself ...
... Every caliber has got it's own SN-range. ...
Must be another mirage: in the old book on page 100...

I'm still looking for an exhibition of "provable experience".

I believe it might be more accurate to conclude that the Manurhin- preproduced PPK in .32 always had its own serial range with no letter suffix, and that PPK/s was never included therein.

After 1968, when the model PPK/s was introduced and its production in .380 soon eclipsed that of all other PP-series pistols by a factor of four- or five-to-one, the serial range of PPK in calibers other than .32 ceased to be important.

One might consider the PPK/s to be in the former .380 PPK range or the .380 PPK to be in the PPK/s range, but it's academic: the numbers no longer mattered, the letter suffix --which is undeniably part of the serial number--became THE determining factor and established in effect unique serial progressions for PPK/s and PPK -- though numerically intermixed.

But even that was not invariable. I have before me a .22 PPK/s dated 1972 s/n 121776 S (not "LR"). Also a .380 PPK, with a slightly higher s/n: 122154 A but made in 1967, five years earlier. So much for strict rules...

I repeat: don't read too much into blanket statements.

M

·
Registered
3,188 Posts
There are no charts in the book. Manfred Kersten mentioned just the starting number of each model without PPK/S.

And please remember, there were different manufacturing numbers of each caliber.

Also no PPK/S show the A or LR postfix....

PS: Found this one: PPK/S, 7,65mm, Nr. 277622S, proofed in 1973. You can check out your chart ;)

·
Premium Member
13,914 Posts
Martin: When I write something stupid, and am called out on it, I've learned not to dig myself in deeper. I acknowledge it, correct my statement if I can, and move on. It's wonderful for the soul and for one's self-respect.

As someone said in a previous post, you might give it try.

M

P.S. "There are no charts in the book." Does anyone else here want to look at page 100 and confirm that?

·
Registered
3,188 Posts
Mike, find the 'chart' attached. Perhaps someone is able to date any gun with it.

My intention is not to argue w. anyone. We are old enough to seperate the wheet from chaff.

Attachments

·
Registered
4 Posts
Howdy! Noob here and all the research I have been doing on this gun has given me a headache. So here I am more confused than ever. Was the gun assembled in 1960-61? How much is this bad boy worth at this point and time? I sure appreciate any kind of help. Thank You so much. Please let me know if you need anything else

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi Martin!

Man that was a fast response. Is the proof of date hidden somewhere specific on this thing? Have any idea what the thing is worth?
Thank You so much you just uncluttered my brain

·
Registered
3,188 Posts
Look at MGMike's chart. Made in 1960/early 1961. I'm from Germany, I can't value your gun. Markets are not compareable.

641 - 658 of 658 Posts