Walther Forums banner

41 - 60 of 658 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a PP, eagle over N, serial number 89310. It also has ByP crossed out on the left side behind the trigger guard. Police pistol? Anyone know what year?

·
Registered
12 Posts
I just recieved as an anniversary gift a PP in 380ACP. It is an IA import, with the ST ETIENNE proof mark on the barrel and on the slide. SN on the barrel is 77299, and 77299A on the frame. I looked at the charts and thought 1958, but I see that the charts are only for the 7.65mm only. I've looked at the other links posted, but find nothing that helps. It came with the original target, but it is not dated. Anyone know how to identify the year of manufacture of this firearm?

·
Premium Member
1,608 Posts
I just recieved as an anniversary gift a PP in 380ACP. It is an IA import, with the ST ETIENNE proof mark on the barrel and on the slide. SN on the barrel is 77299, and 77299A on the frame. I looked at the charts and thought 1958, but I see that the charts are only for the 7.65mm only. I've looked at the other links posted, but find nothing that helps. It came with the original target, but it is not dated. Anyone know how to identify the year of manufacture of this firearm?
The five-digit serial numbers for the PP in 9mm kurz ended in 1985 with something above 78000 A. So your PP was one of the last 1000 weapons made during the cooperation between Walther and Manurhin. It's probable to assume 1985 as the year of manufacture.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Thank you Blaogh! Much appreciated. I'm still a bit confused, however. The former owner gave me some additional papers this morning, which includes a certificate from Chambere de Commerce, ET D'Industrie de Saint-Etiene, Banc D'Epreuve Officiel with the pistol's S/N caliber on it, and a date of 12 janvier 1960. Any thoughts?

·
Premium Member
1,608 Posts
Thank you Blaogh! Much appreciated. I'm still a bit confused, however. The former owner gave me some additional papers this morning, which includes a certificate from Chambere de Commerce, ET D'Industrie de Saint-Etiene, Banc D'Epreuve Officiel with the pistol's S/N caliber on it, and a date of 12 janvier 1960. Any thoughts?
All these certificates show the date of January 12, 1960. In that year, the proof of all firearms became mandatory in France. So the date is referring to the enactment.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,608 Posts
You'll also see that mentioned date is printed on the certificate while the details of the weapon are filled in individually.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Understood. Thank you so much for the info. It sure would have been simpler for everyone if Walther, etc. standardized on date codes in the S/N. I know they did on some, not not on others. Oh well, its a great gun and I'm happy to own it. Thanks again.

·
Premium Member
1,608 Posts
Understood. Thank you so much for the info. It sure would have been simpler for everyone if Walther, etc. standardized on date codes in the S/N. I know they did on some, not not on others. Oh well, its a great gun and I'm happy to own it. Thanks again.
You're welcome. And please don't forget to post some nice photos of your new gun. We all here in this forum love to see them.

·
Registered
58 Posts
So, how did you determine the date(as much as you could)? Is there a webpage that lists this info?
Steve

·
Registered
3,160 Posts
I am looking at a PPK with serial number 278190. No letters. Does anyone know when this gun was made?
Assuming that it is a post war PPK (.32ACP; Ulm), take a look on the ejection port. Normally you find the eagle/N, an antler and a two digit letter code:

A=0
B=1
C=2
D=3
E=4
F=5
G=6
H=7
I/J=8
K=9

For example: HK=79 => 1979

This is the proof date by german authority. In most cases it's the same year the gun was made. Older ones have a two digit number: for example 64 => 1964.

·
Premium Member
26,070 Posts
So, how did you determine the date(as much as you could)? Is there a webpage that lists this info?
Steve
If you are talking strictly about the Interarms/Ranger-produced pistols, we have two Sticky threads in this section that list reported serial numbers based on test targets or purchased dates. Beyond that, there is no known list or web site of the manufacturing dates for this series of firearm.

41 - 60 of 658 Posts