Walther Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everybody,

At a German auction house (www.andreas-thies.de) an interesting, engraved PP will be auctioned soon: It is said to have been dedicated to Rudolf Heß by the Thuringian Gaulleiter Sauckel. Maybe I am simply too stupid or out of whatever reason I cannot find this item on their website. Perhaps one of you can...
If so, what do you think about it?

Best wishes, Dieter.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That is the one! But look at the inscription on the lhs of the slide: It is not engraved into the slide itself, but on a thin plate, which is fixed to the slide.
Est wishes, Dieter.

·
Registered
823 Posts
The inscription plate is an aftermarket addition to try and increase the value of a nicely engraved Walther PP with unknown initials on the grip. Perhaps why it didn't sell at the Thies auction last summer 2017.

·
Registered
2,792 Posts
The attempt to increase value actually DECREASED the value IMHO.

·
Registered
495 Posts
It would be nice to have someone with sufficient expertise in scripts and fonts determine when this addition of a Widmung was perpetrated, and whether there are signs of someone trying to fake a period-correct style. It’s a style with fairly distinct markers. I wonder what kind of provenance in terms of a paper trail Thies has on the gun.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts