Walther Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so i have a walther PP here that only has a SN on the frame, no markings anywhere else. Its never been blued. The SN on the frame makes it of 1938 MFG.

Is this a factory capture pistol or something else? Estimated worth?

IMG_2199.jpg

·
Registered
282 Posts
Hello,
Do I read the SN as 125115P? If so, this PP belongs to the fourth variation and was made way before 1945. I have the feeling (but no proof!) that this is a "lunchbox special", i.e. a gun which was built from parts smuggled out of the factory.
Best wishes,
Dieter H. Marschall.

·
Registered
3,338 Posts
Not a factory capture pistol, just a Walther PP, probably made in 1938, heavily buffed. Perhaps Dieter is right.

Reactions: pilkguns

·
Registered
278 Posts
It wouldn't be a factory capture in that mfg date since the factory wasn't captured until 1945.

Value? Who knows? Any lack of proof marks would seem to rule out a lot of possibilities.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hello,
Do I read the SN as 125115P? If so, this PP belongs to the fourth variation and was made way before 1945. I have the feeling (but no proof!) that this is a "lunchbox special", i.e. a gun which was built from parts smuggled out of the factory.
Best wishes,
Dieter H. Marschall.
Hey, that is correct. Have your book right here on my desk. I was told the same thing about it being a "lunchbox special"

I wasn't sure though. Do you know what it could be worth?

·
Registered
42 Posts
I like it.
Looks like it's well traveled.
If it's a lunchbox special, somebody must have REALLY wanted it, as I imagine the penalty for swiping parts was probably, um, let's just say severe.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
someone who does gun blueing where i live said it was never blued.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Not an expert by a long shot. Value I think as a shooter to anyone else. Lacks provenance, IMO of anything else, although invites speculation. If it hasn't been buffed, it wasn't proofed.

·
Registered
2,817 Posts
I like it.
Looks like it's well traveled.
If it's a lunchbox special, somebody must have REALLY wanted it, as I imagine the penalty for swiping parts was probably, um, let's just say severe.

Maybe, but it wasn't like workers were subjected to the fond affectations of the TSA, and metal detectors weren't invented yet.

Upon leaving the factory, workers pressed a button to unlock the exit turnstile, which randomly lit up a red light instead of a green one, to select people to have their belongings searched.

At least that's how it was where I worked, only a few miles (by Texas standards) from the Walther factory, during about the same era (it was 1934 in East Germany until about 1990).

For some reason, they never looked in your bicycle toolkit:

·
Registered
278 Posts
On gunboards,com, a poster showed a "late war" PP...no markings on the slide except a miss-mismatched ser # with the frame. I believe he speculated it was captured unassembled and unmarked in parts by GIs who then and assembled it. You can check it out, it's under the Military Handguns section. So the OP's gun might well be a late-war capture under the circumstances similar.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts