Walther Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Manurhin PP .380 that frequently exhibits a signal pin stuck in the out ("way out") position after firing. The attached photo illustrates this condition.
The signal pin can easily be returned or "snapped back" to its normal position by pulling it as far out as possible and pushing down. I was advised by a gun smith to replace the recoil spring and refrain from using hot ammo to avoid this issue. I have done both those things but the problem persists. Does anyone have any ideas on how to remedy this? Thanks.

Attachments

·
Registered
862 Posts
If you are going to partake in replacing the signal pin spring yourself, All of the slides parts need to be removed to get to that pin & spring. A little tricky if you never did it before.
But, this will give you a chance to clean all the crud off every part and lightly lube.
Maybe the pin and delicate spring are just gummed up.

·
Premium Member
13,914 Posts
The signal pin spring was a chronic problem in Ranger production. The springs were outsourced from U.S. makers, and a very high failure rate was experienced. The spring is not a good design to begin with, and its manufacture evidently required a degree of precision and quality that was not easily attainable.

This problem persisted until Walther was asked to order a large quantity from its European supplier and forward them to Ranger.

To forestall the inevitable question: No, there is no way to tell them apart except to wait and see if they collapse.

M

·
Premium Member
8 Posts
I am not a gunsmith but I am a Machine shop owner.
It looks to me that there is a spring issue that allows the pin to shoot out so far and either crud or a burr that stops it from returning.
With the slide off, you should be able to push the pin with something thin like an unbent paper clip. To check how smoothly it moves through the full range.
I am guessing you will feel something going on when you push it. You may find that if it is crud. You can flush it out with no disassembly.

·
Premium Member
13,914 Posts
I am guessing you will feel something going on when you push it. You may find that if it is crud. You can flush it out with no disassembly.
Possibly.

But what you're more likely to discover is that there is little if any spring tension on the pin either way.

M

·
Super Moderator
7,507 Posts

While it isn't always a solution, solvent and an air jet can be your friends, while avoiding taking things completely apart. I've run an air line into the shop, and use it all the time.
Moon

·
Registered
39 Posts
I have a Manurhin PP .380 that frequently exhibits a signal pin stuck in the out ("way out") position after firing. The attached photo illustrates this condition.
The signal pin can easily be returned or "snapped back" to its normal position by pulling it as far out as possible and pushing down. I was advised by a gun smith to replace the recoil spring and refrain from using hot ammo to avoid this issue. I have done both those things but the problem persists. Does anyone have any ideas on how to remedy this? Thanks.
I have a PPK Ranger (not too many rounds through it)... And it does the same thing. I recently took everything apart to look at it. Pin did not look bent and spring seemed to be in great condition. I cleaned it up (not that much carbon/dirt), lightly lubed it up and took it to the range again. It stuck out on the first shot!

My guess is that it gets hung up on something like a lip of the indicator hole or other part of the slide (just enough to get stuck but able to be pushed back in with a push of my finger). I don't think this problem is induced by dirt or grime. I just might go to the range again and shoot it until the pin gets stuck again. Then try carefully to disassemble it with the pin still sticking out.

·
Premium Member
13,914 Posts

My guess is that it gets hung up on something like a lip of the indicator hole or other part of the slide (just enough to get stuck but able to be pushed back in with a push of my finger). I don't think this problem is induced by dirt or grime. ...
If the signal pin seems hung up, and you unstick it and thereafter it does not loosely shunt back and forth when you shake it, pull off the slide and remove the safety and firing pin so you can fully examine the signal pin and spring. Make sure the spring is correctly located and oriented on the pin. Correct assembly is not self-evident; consult the phantom view in your instruction manual to be certain.

M

·
Registered
39 Posts
Well I didn't have time to go to the range, but I did take my PPK apart and was able to reproduce what I am sure the problem is...

I was able to pull the signal pin out so it replicated the picture I took when the pin got stuck while shooting. Looks like the OP's pic too. Signal pin sticks out and is slightly angled down towards the front. Is easily pushed back in with just a wiggle.

In order to get it to look like that, I had to position the firing pin just right, between the lip of the channel/hole for the signal pin and the firing pin. Obviously the FP is not in and I had to balance the pin on the lip. If the FP was in, it is easy to think that the SP gets trapped in this position between FP and the lip of the SP hole. This gets the signal pin to extend out from the slide at an angle.

Here is my PPK with signal pin sticking out while at a previous range session:

This is the signal pin positioned just between the firing pin hole and the signal pin hole:

This what the pin looks like with the slide off and duplicating the stuck pin:

So it seems like the spring is too weak to keep the SP in the hole during recoil. Is this a design flaw? Or will a new spring fix the problem?

·
Registered
432 Posts
So it seems like the spring is too weak to keep the SP in the hole during recoil. Is this a design flaw? Or will a new spring fix the problem?
In my opinion it is. The PP series would have been better had Walther never added the signal pin to the pistol. It can stick out when there is no round in the chamber. It can break and not stick out when there is a round in the chamber.

·
Registered
39 Posts
In my opinion it is. The PP series would have been better had Walther never added the signal pin to the pistol. It can stick out when there is no round in the chamber. It can break and not stick out when there is a round in the chamber.
I was thinking about taking it out all together... It has been a PITA since I acquired the pistol. Otherwise, it's a pretty fine shooting PPK.

·
Registered
505 Posts
In the early days, it was an option. MY 1931 does not have one.

·
Super Moderator
7,507 Posts
It does seem a part with no huge merit. If it can't be trusted to tell you if the gun is actually loaded, or gives a false positive...
I like failsafe chamber loaded indicators, like the extractor sitting proud of the frame when the gun is charged.
But you should still check.
Moon

Reactions: ruhroh
1 - 20 of 22 Posts