Walther Forums banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Walther PP 9 mm kurz (aka .380 acp).I am looking for a couple of extra mags without the left side rib. All the mags I have found have a rib. Any ideas on how to find mags without a rib or how to modify to make a rib work.

Premium Member
I'm not sure what you're asking. Your PPK .380 magazines SHOULD have a rib on the left side. It's the .32 ACP magazines that lack this.

Is your PPK one of the early ones with a heel release?

Registered
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
think the .380acp PP may be pre war. It does not have a cutout for a rib. I also have a PP in .32acp so I know the difference

Registered
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The serial no, is 153740 P. but I have not found it in any list to help with the year of mfg

Premium Member
It does have a heel release
That explains it! I also misread your post as PPK.

Your PP was made in 1940. Does it have a Crown/N proofmark or Eagle/N ?

Whiteman estimates only around 3% of production was in 9mm kurz. Original magazines for your PP are expensive, usually in the $200-300 range but I do see them from time to time. I have no idea if a modern magazine can be made to fit but they're cheap enough to experiment on.

We'd like to see a picture of it.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The proofmark looks to be a Crown N. I will upload pictures when I figure out how

Super Moderator
Posting a picture is easy. Click on the 'insert image' icon at the bottom of the window....its the one between the 'camera' and the 'chain link'. A box will open up. Drag a picture from your PC to the box......THAT's IT.

Super Moderator
Grinding off the rib will leave a magazine with a hole.
You have a functioning magazine?
Like you, I'm an extra extra extra magazine junkie, but you'll have to decide how badly you want/need spares.
Maybe 1911-1918 will pipe up with advice on modding the feed lips of a .32 magazine.
Moon

Registered
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I have 2 working mags but was hoping to find 2 more, but not for $200-300. For $50-100 I would be a buyer.

Super Moderator
Went for empirical data, dug out some relatively current magazines.
Three eighties indeed fit in the .32 magazine, and they present the top round in a position that's likely to feed.
Order some current production .32 mags and experiment.
Moon

Premium Member
Maybe 1911-1918 will pipe up with advice on modding the feed lips of a .32 magazine.
But it would still need to be modified to fit an early pistol with a heel magazine release.

I have 2 working mags but was hoping to find 2 more, but not for $200-300. For $50-100 I would be a buyer.
You have a very rare and collectible PP varient, not a plain post-war shooter. And you're even luckier to already have a spare magazine. I wasn't expecting that.

Your PP was made in early 1940. Where did you get it? Are either of the magazines numbered?

Super Moderator
Redcat', I've never examined the heel release on a really old PP; does it simply latch over the floorplate,a la P38 or is there a cut in the mag, somewhat like a P5?
imaoldfart, we had some of this conversation ten years ago; all the Ranger frames, regardless of caliber, share the groove on the left side, tho' the .32 mags are still flat.
And, may have mentioned it to you before, but our trivia team calls itself the Foldarts. ;)
Moon

Premium Member
does it simply latch over the floorplate,a la P38 or is there a cut in the mag, somewhere
It just latches over the floorplate.

Check out Tom Whiteman's presentation on pre-1945 PP/PPK magazines. The 9mm kurz starts at 33:57.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
This has been wonderful information. Thank you so much. In answer to one of the questions, I don't see any numbers on the mags.I am still working on taking some pictures to upload.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
To answer another question, I have no idea of the history of the gun or where it was obtained. My father in law gave it to me and a .32acp PP (along with other guns) a while before he died. Therefore I cannot ask where he got it. He lived and worked in several European countries and traveled extensivly so I assume he bought it over seas. He viewed the .380acp as a more manly gun and his wifes .32acp PP as a more girly gun. ( tell that to the German Police) Near the end of his life he could not rack the slide of the .380. He thought it needed oil or something. When I showed him that thet was nothing wrong with the gun, he gave it to me.

Registered
The serial no, is 153740 P. but I have not found it in any list to help with the year of mfg
In Dieter Marshall's book he notes that Walther changed the ejector/holdopen on 9mmK PPs in March of 1938 to add a small spur to contact proper 9mm K magazines. So using .32 magazines might not activate the holdopen on the last round. There is discussion here and images on this thread on the PP/PPK Forum. You might check the ejector for the presence of the spur.

Registered
I believe Legacy has the mags you are looking to buy but let me assure you the price is at least
$300 or more. These are rare mags. If Tom does not have any, message me and I can probably fix
you up. Email would be better.
g

1 - 20 of 28 Posts