Walther Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been looking for a Walther PP in .22LR and wanted to get some opinions on this pistol, in this caliber. I use to own a German made PP and PPK in .32, and thought they were very accurate and well made (and cool) pistols, though they both tended to be a little finicky with some ammo. Anybody on this forum own a PP in .22LR, and if so what do you think of it? I am looking towards using it as a plinker to shoot with my 12 year old son.
 I am considering buying a NIB (German made-1981) one from Earl's Repair Service in MA. He's asking $895. Has anyone done business with Earl's before? Does he have a good reputation?
 I'd appreciate any opinions/info. Thank you.

nero

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
Yes, I have one, they are nice pistols. Of course I didn't pay $895 for it, maybe $400 about 12 years ago. I wouldn't recommend one now over a P22. It's a lot more fun pistol to shoot, can be had for under $250.

I hardly shoot my PP .22, probably haven't in 10 years. Now my P22, it gets show frequently.

As a plinker for a 12 year old? P22 definitely.

Regards,
James

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Extremist, thank you for the info. Was the PP reliable? Why would you recommend the P-22 over the PP (excluding the cost factor)? I had considered getting the P-22 but frankly I've read on the net that quite a few people have had problems with theirs. I have never shot one so I have no personal experience with one. I did own a PP in .32 and I know they are very well made, and if maintained will last longer than the person owning it.
Would you consider selling your PP in .22LR?  

nero

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
Yes, PP 22 was totally reliable, but then so is my P22 - now. It had some issues during the first 100 rounds, but they cleared up, and I didn't even exchange the original mags for the new "-A" prefix ones.

And no, sorry, don't want to sell my PP 22

James

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
nero,

I think the main point about not "shooting" a PP in .22 is because of its value and collectability. The PP series are not made any more, so they are now on the collectors lists. And not too many PP's were made in .22lr.

If you can find one that is well used, but in really good condition, you won't loose much value in it if you want to shoot it.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Extremist, P88, thank you very much for your replies and info. I really like this forum and plan on visiting it regularly. If I may ask one more question, has anyone dealt with/done business with Earl's Repair Service before? I understand that he is a Walther factory repair center, does he have a good reputation? In other words, should I buy a Walther from him? Again thanks for your assistance.

nero

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
I've had great service from him. Other's have complained.

He is spendy, you can usually find things cheaper elsewhere.

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
I've only bought one thing directly from him - my P99 JBI 9mm and Walther A German Legend. While I can't complain about the price on the JBI, since they were available nowhere else, I did feel I got overcharged for the book.

As P88 said, you can usually find things cheaper somewhere else.

However! I still kick myself for not buying one of his P5C L102A1 British Special Forces pistols when he was getting rid of them for only $895!!!

James

·
Registered
178 Posts
Just saw this post and had to reply. I owned an American PPK/S about 12 years ago and while it was fun to shoot it was a jam-o-matic. The bullet nose would consistently hang up on the feed ramp. So: fun - yes, reliable - no. On the other hand I have a PPK/S now in .380 and it has been both fun and reliable.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks to all for your replies/info. Mailed payment to Earl's for the PP .22LR. I'll post again after I receive and shoot the new PP. How can one post pics on this forum? If possible I'll post a pic of the new Walther.

nero

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Received my PP .22LR today. The pistol is beautiful and in pristine, unfired condition. I have been very pleased by the service I received by Earl's Repair Service. They where very helpful and courteous. The gun was as described and shipped immediately.
I will take the new PP to the range tomorrow and then post how it performs.

nero  

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Took my new PP .22LR to the range today. I shot 100rds of CCI Mini-Mags and 100rds of CCI standard velocity. The double action trigger is absolutely terrible (gritty and heavy), but the single action was pretty good. Accuracy was very good. I had 4 FTF's, all were the Mini-Mags, and all were with only one of the magazines. Overall, I'm very pleased with the PP. I wish Walther still made them in .22LR. I'll take my son out to the range on saturday and see how he likes it.

nero

1 - 12 of 12 Posts