Walther Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just inherited a Walther PP in 7.65 caliber.
The serial number starts with 326xxx P. It is blued, in a black holster with 2 magazines, and the finish is just slightly pitted.
Can anyone give me a date (even approximate) that this pistol was made??
I was told that it hasn't been fired in many, many years.

Is this enough information?

Thanks in advance. . . .

·
Registered
280 Posts
If you look at the ejection port area there should be two numbers (19xx) indicating the year it was made if it is newer than the sixties. If older the city on the slide, proof marks, style of stampings and/or serial number would be needed.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
From what I was told, the pistol is definitely older than the 60s.
I was told that it was 'relieved' from a German soldier, during WWII.  (?
?)

On the slide, just below the ejection port, is a stamping of what appears to be the German 'Eagle' with the letter "N" under the Eagle.  The same marking is on the breech end of the barrel, directly above the marking on the slide. (Visible through the ejection port.)
(These stampings appear to be turned sideways, with the Eagle's head toward the muzzle.)
The same stamping is on the barrel, about 1/4" back from the muzzle, with the Eagle's head being 'up' when holding the pistol  - muzzle to the left.

On the left side of the slide, the Walther logo (Walther name inside the 'Banner' near the muzzle.  More or less centered on the same side of the slide is the following:

Waffenbrik - Walther, Zella-Mehlis (Thur)
                                                        Mod. PP
Walther's Patent Cal. 7,65 m/m

(The 'comma' is a definite.  This is NOT stamped as a 'period' ".")

The stocks (grip panels) appear to be brown checkered plastic with the Walther logo on each panel.

The holster is black leather (no markings inside or out) and two magazines with Walther logo on the left side and PP 7,65 m/m under the logo.
(Again, the 'comma' is plain to see.  Not a period ".")

I hope that this helps.

Thanks again!!!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Edit to previous post. . . .

"The same stamping is on the barrel, about 1/4" back from the muzzle, with the Eagle's head being 'up' when holding the pistol  - muzzle to the left."

Correction - muzzle to the right.

"The stocks (grip panels) appear to be brown checkered plastic with the Walther logo on each panel."

Correction - reddish-brown  checkered grip panels. (One site called them "Ox-Blood Red" stocks.

Addition - Serial number starts with 326xxx P  (numbers match on slide and frame - right side)

Lastly, I saw on another site that a similar pistol with serial number beginning in 330xxx was built in 1943, and this pistol (mine) MIGHT have been an "SA member's" pistol because of the markings and the "Ox-Blood Red" stocks (grip panels).

Can anyone advise?
?

Thanks. . . .

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
WaltherPP762,

Your pistol was made around 1942-1943. They didn't put date stamps on them that far back.

Does the safety rotate 60 degrees or 90 degrees?

The reddish brown grips were used to designate selected PP's for the use of SA shooting competitions. Members of those teams were given a new competition PP every year, but only one set of reddish brown grips. So the grips were handed down from PP to PP, so it is hard to tell if that PP came originally with the reddish brown grips.

Can you post a picture? You can block the serial number using paintshop, but I would like to see where the serial number is and which direction it goes on the slide and frame. This may help to further pin point the year of manufacture. Otherwise I think 1943-1944 is a good estimate.

Devin

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
P88:

I'll try to get a picture.

For now, the serial numbers are:
On the slide - Right side (Ejection port side) in front of the ejection port, centered between it and the muzzle.

On the grip-frame - Right side of grip-frame, behind trigger.
IF holding the pistol 'muzzle up' the serial number is reading left to right, just above the right-hand stock.

Lastly, the pistol appears to be 'two-toned'. The slide is one shade of blue. The grip-frame is 'brown-blued' (I guess that's the proper term.)

Thanks again!!

Keith

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
Keith,

Do you think the frame is aluminum, instead of steel? If so, you could have a "Dural" model. These were supposedly not made any more after serial number 303300P.

I'm still thinking 1942-1943 is the correct date.

Devin

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Devin. . .

The frame is definitely steel. I have a small rubberized magnet that sticks quickly to the front strap (with magazine removed).

As for the safety (I forgot to reply earlier) the safety does NOT go exactly 90° from 'Fire' to 'Safe'. It's close, though.
I suppose then, that it would be a 60° safety?
??
There is red dot at the bottom of the arc and nothing at the top.

The more I look at this pistol, the more imperfections I pick up on.
I have seen other pistols on the net that are in much better condition.
I truly believe that my uncle left this PP in the holster since he returned home from the war.

The bluing is not rich and deep. I hope I didn't mis-state or mislead.

I had my choice of either this PP or a Mauser model 1914 that looks like it's in better shape, but, that darn pistol is U G L Y!
It has a beautiful finish on it, though. All matching #s. Brown leather holster. Two mags. Eagle marks in several places. (Going by memory.)
(Did I 'blow it' by accepting the Walther PP?)

Thanks again!!

Keith

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
Keith,

I don't think you blew it by taking the PP. I don't know much about the Mauser, but I would think the PP is the better value, even with the imperfections. I'll see what I can find on the Mauser.

Devin

1 - 9 of 9 Posts