Walther Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Went to the Dallas Arms Collectors Show, which gets worse and worse, but one dealer had a table full of European sidearms (one of which was a Brixia, which I'd never seen an example of before). Half the table was covered in PWI import surplus P1's (or P4's - I don't know the differene). In among them was a P38K, not marked as such in any way let alone like the commercial guns were marked. It was otherwise identical to the other surplus P1's (or P4's). Barrel is numbered to the frame, slide has been renumbered, carries a date of 1/78.

So, I'm assuming the German police actually bought some of these and they got mixed in with the PWI purchase. I've tried google and bing to find anything at all about the history but came up zip.

Any information would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Roger

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
this one isn't. give me a little credit. I was buying guns when Interarms was importing P38K's commercially.

·
Registered
2,817 Posts
I've literally had that exact same gun in my hand before, looked at the seller and didn't even get to say a word before he apologized and admitted it's home made one.

·
Registered
128 Posts
I’d suggest you do some homework on the one-off were produced by a German gunsmith, who used to purchase Walther parts from Walther and build some remarkable guns. Difinitely a collectible if this happens to be one of them.

·
Registered
491 Posts
I've tried google and bing to find anything at all about the history but came up zip.
That's probably because you were googling in the wrong language. Walther is a German manufacturer, so it follows that some information on the firm/product may exist in German and not necessarily in other languages.

There is a German Wikipedia page https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Walther-Pistolen listing Walther pistols and the paragraphs relevant to your question are headed P38, P1, and P4 - in particular the latter, which translates:

The Walther P4 is designed for Police use and is a less-known variant of the Walther P1. It has an aluminium frame and shortened barrel. Initially, parts from the P38 were used and these pistols are marked as “Walther P38 IV”. Another less well-known variant of the P38 is the “Walther P38K”, which is actually less a variant of the P38 but rather of the P4. The “Walther P38K” has a much shortened barrel and has the front sight on the slide. A similar model was produced during WW2 for the Gestapo.

The pistols currently (right-hand column) and previously (middle column - titled “Old (no longer issued, but still in use)” issued to the German police/military police can be seen here:

https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Liste_der_Dienstwaffen_der_deutschen_Polizei

An acknowledged expert on Walther pistols is Herr Dieter Marschall (who is a member here). He has written extensively on the subject and his books would be your best reference source.

Balor

·
Super Moderator
3,888 Posts
forget it. this forum is about as useful as the S&W collectors forum.
Yea, definitely useless information, above. (/sarcasm off)

With the kind of attitude displayed in what I just quoted, it's a wonder anyone bothered. Good thing we have informed people who are actually nice, here. ;)

·
Registered
2,781 Posts
I think this may be an internet record.

Requesting "additional info" to "this Forum is USELESS" in under 2 hrs!

Walther Forum excels once again!

Reactions: Balogh

·
Registered
491 Posts

I've seen two examples which, according to their owner, are of wartime manufacture and which look somewhat archaic compared to the Dutch ones. One could almost be forgiven for thinking of them as “home made”. Maybe they were dashed off in a hurry between the bombs dropping on Zella-Mehlis.

I won't reveal the source, as they are in a private collection and I don't want the owner being badgered with enquiries. (He doesn't sell stuff).

Balor

·
Registered
13 Posts
I have had one for 31 years. I bought it in 87 from a friend for the price he paid, $400. I used to take it to my house in WV. i probably put 200 rounds through it but when I realized it was only going to go up in value I oiled it up and locked it away.I hope to pass it on to my son one day. Or sell it when I retire and have a whole lot of fun.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts