Walther Forums banner

1 - 20 of 71 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Before I bought my first handgun, I fired a dozen different pistols. I decided to buy a PPQ (M1). While the grip was a bit too big for me, it was that amazing trigger that hooked me hard. I instantly became a trigger snob, shunning Glocks and M&Ps alike (even with an Apex trigger mod). Since I'm ambidextrous and shoot both hands as primary, I figured the ambi mag release would be another asset. But I initially didn't really "get" the paddle mag release. Once I caught on (stopped trying to use my thumb) and used my middle finger while my index finger was still up on the frame (no grip change at all), it was like a moment of nirvana. I went from being the slowest mag swapper on the line to the fastest, after only a few nights of dry fire practice using a finger instead of a thumb. AMAZING. Now that I'm getting to a point where I want to compete, I'm looking for a longer barrel. So of course I want a PPQ w/ a 5" barrel which will be offered soon but only for the M2 lover. What about those of us that love the M1 design? Does Walther have to abandon us paddle lovers? Please, please, PLEASE offer the 5 inch PPQ with the original M1 design. I don't want to go to a Glock 34 or a M&P Pro with an Apex trigger but I'll go that direction if I can't get the M1 design because the grip is too big for me on the PPQ even with the small backstrap (which I've found doesn't matter if I'm using a paddle release). I completely understand why Walther offers the M2. No question. It was a matter of survival and it worked! But why ABANDON your loyal followers that love the M1? We don't want MORE, we just want what the new M2 customer is offered (a 5" variant that uses OUR magazines (M1) and has OUR preferred mag release (paddle)). Please please PLEASE reconsider and offer the 5 inch barrel for the M1 along with bringing back the M1 classic.

·
Registered
1,310 Posts
Walther offered the M 2 to increase sales in the US market and thought that would do it. The M 2 was designed to go to head to head with the Glock 19 ( from what I read). The 5" is a good idea; and, I assume ( yeah I know how to spell that word) that it is meant to go head to head with the Glock 34 and S&W Pro. However, I regard the M 2 as fatally flawed with the unintentional or accidental mag release problem. My M 2 now sits in my safe and I am shooting an M 1. I agree with you paddles are better; unless, Walther will man up admit it has an M 2 problem and corrects it, I will certainly not purchase another M 2.
Paddle land for me.

·
Registered
149 Posts
The PPQ M1 was considered disadvantaged by the US consumer market. There were lot's of reviews praising the trigger but questioning the paddle mag release when the weapon came out. Believe me, the demand for paddles may be high on this forum but the demand for a button is much higher in the real world. "Abandoning" Walther's loyal followers in this case was done because Walther is a corporation and realized the consumer market preferred a button.

Do anyone really think the weapon is 'fatally flawed' because it doesn't use a paddle mag release? It's one of the best button releases on the market. Maybe you should e-mail every other pistol manufacturer and demand they fix their 'fatally flawed' Glocks, M&Ps, XDs, 1911s, etc...

If you want a 5" M1 you can buy the 5" M2 and swap the slides. It's that simple. Either Walther doesn't think a 5" M1 will sell to anyone but the people on this forum or they know they will sell fewer so they brought out the 5" M2 first to test the waters (and they're probably right).

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
In the US, the paddle mag release is an oddity and many people unfortunately don't like what they don't know. Plus if I already had muscle memory releasing mags with a button, I wouldn't want to change either as a consumer. I get it and personally have no problem with them selling the M2 design. If it expands their market share in the US, and allows them to offer more options faster as a result, I'm all for it. I just want Walther to KEEP SELLING THE PPQ M1 design and OFFER THE SAME OPTIONS AS THE PPQ M2. I want the 5" option without having to convert to a button mag release. I think that is a reasonable request from any customer that already owns the Walther PPQ M1 Classic.

·
Registered
579 Posts
I would be absolutely in favor of conversion kits, especially since evidently the M2 ones are compatible. All it would take would be to make some sterile ones for separate sale.

·
Premium Member
14,076 Posts
To the OP, if you really want a 5" M1 that much and you already have a 4" M1, just but the 5" M2 and swap out the slide and barrel.....just like post #3 recommended. That is in fact, exactly what I did. I had NO patience.....and I'm a happy camper now. I'd still be happier if Walther came out with an exchange kit (5" upper in 9 & 40). I'd pick up one of each and sell my two slightly used M2 5" inchers. :D

Here's my Nine with AmeriGlo front sight, LPA rear sight and Tuff-1 grip sleeve. 40 looks just like the 9.....Brudders, dey are!!!!!!

·
Banned
1,763 Posts
Most US shooters were ignorant on how to use the paddle and the magazine types who are unwilling to change moaned about it.

Walther isn't wrong to release the M2 because maybe it will get some sales but the unbelievable insanity of their decision is they decided to go M2 and ignore their existing customers in the search for new ones. If they were going to do it then they should have introduced it as a option after needs of existing paddle customers were met and also started introduction of new long asked for models as paddles with button options after existing customers were served or at least at the same time.

What Walther did is nothing more than telling existing owners they don't give a damn about them and making the assumption they would stay. I love the AS trigger but I can live with a good DA/SA too. The paddle IS the big deal. Without it, I see no significant reason to buy Walther. Me too only makes you no better than the others.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Most US shooters were ignorant on how to use the paddle and the magazine types who are unwilling to change moaned about it.

Walther isn't wrong to release the M2 because maybe it will get some sales but the unbelievable insanity of their decision is they decided to go M2 and ignore their existing customers in the search for new ones. If they were going to do it then they should have introduced it as a option after needs of existing paddle customers were met and also started introduction of new long asked for models as paddles with button options after existing customers were served or at least at the same time.

What Walther did is nothing more than telling existing owners they don't give a damn about them and making the assumption they would stay. I love the AS trigger but I can live with a good DA/SA too. The paddle IS the big deal. Without it, I see no significant reason to buy Walther. Me too only makes you no better than the others.
Well Walther listened to consumers and released a version that fixed what the major complaint was in the U.S. Then, when they were criticized, they listened to a minority of consumers who like the M1 and brought it back.

So what's the problem here?

Btw, can't believe you don't think the trigger and ergos that every single review has praised has perhaps some significant impact on why someone might prefer it to any other polymer pistol?

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
Saw a likely true pic of the upcoming hk9s, it has paddles. Hk gets it.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
From my phone, that looks right.

Though I prefer the long pals from Walther. It's just personal preference, but if I had my druthers I'd have them long and wide .

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

·
Registered
467 Posts
Walther isn't wrong to release the M2 because maybe it will get some sales
It will likely outsell the M1 in the US

but the unbelievable insanity of their decision is they decided to go M2 and ignore their existing customers in the search for new ones. If they were going to do it then they should have introduced it as a option after needs of existing paddle customers were met
Walther made a wise business choice to address the much larger button-release market first.

What Walther did is nothing more than telling existing owners they don't give a damn about them and making the assumption they would stay
Walther gave loyalist exactly what they wanted - a near perfect striker fired pistol. I don't know about you, but I have zero intention of leaving the platform or brand because of how extremely happy I am with my M1

·
Registered
175 Posts
[email protected] if they do and [email protected] if they don't.

It seems the real issue is knowing that all the new Walther guns have gone button and they most likely will not be releasing any new paddle guns anytime soon. It's nothing against the minority. Walther has to give the majority what it wants. There is no possible way they can please everybody. Someone will always have something to complain about.

I've been debating which PPQ model to get. The mag release really doesn't bother me either way. But I do understand why it would bother others and why the paddle is considered better than the button. But I don't feel like the M1 is worth a premium over the M2 for me. If I owned a P99 I would definitely go with the M1. But I don't even have interest in owning a P99 since the PPQ is basically the same gun. The only real benefit of the M1, for me, would be making it easier to take turns shooting it with my son since I'm a Righty and he's a Lefty.

Now if my brother asked me which one he should get, I'd tell him to get the M1. Why? Because he's a cop and I think someone in his position would benefit from a gun that he can easily control in either hand at a moments notice.

Reactions: talbot

·
Banned
1,763 Posts
Walther made a wise business choice to address the much larger button-release market first.
Perhaps you've heard the first rule of business is the customer is always right? Well, existing customers bought paddles and you keep your customers happy and serviced first then you go after new market share. This isn't a complicated concept, it is business 101.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Perhaps you've heard the first rule of business is the customer is always right? Well, existing customers bought paddles and you keep your customers happy and serviced first then you go after new market share. This isn't a complicated concept, it is business 101.
No...

Walther's in it to sell as many pistols as possible. Hence the "buisness" part of being a buisness.

There was not much of a market for most of Walther's products, that's why they didn't waste money setting up a distribution network and just let S&W handle it. The PPQ got consumer's attention, but they complained about the paddle release so Walther fixed it.

That's buisness 101. Not producing a product the majority of the market dislikes.

Oh, and how does creating the M2 somehow make existing PPQ owners unhappy?

·
Registered
3,330 Posts
But I don't even have interest in owning a P99 since the PPQ is basically the same gun.
Um, nope, might want to rethink that.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Fatal flaw? I don't think so.

I have the M2, and while I would have preferred the M1, I have no problem with the M2. I haven't had an accidental mag release happen yet.

Too many people get outraged at unimportant details these days.

1 - 20 of 71 Posts