Walther Forums banner

Walther Pistol Caliber Carbine - How many would buy one if they were made

• How many would like to see Walther make a carbine like the Beretta Storm, to match the P99, same gri

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Would you buy one? Yes or No

• What caliber? 9mm or .40 or both

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How many would like to see Walther make a carbine like the Beretta Storm, to match the P99, same grip style and mag? Yes
Would you buy one? Yes
What caliber? 9mm
What caliber? .40

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Sorry people this is my first attempt at a poll...I wrote the questions incorrectly...
Just vote if you would answer yes to the questions....

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
I'd like to see them make more "wood and steel", less "plastic and alloy". A respected name like Walther shouldn't have to make only guns comparable to Kel-tecs.

·
Registered
149 Posts
MLB,
I do very much expect your opinion and agree in part that it would be nice to see a wood and still carbine, it would be nice for a "good ol' gun" market. I do disagree in part, Walther SHOULD be making guns comparable to Kel tecs because, tactically and popularly speaking, that is what much of the public want. I still have my eye on the sub 2000, and it is a shame that walther does not make a handgun calliber carbine. I would make it my next purchase for sure. They are missing on a great market, and it is a loss for them. Kel tec has a nice portion of the market of the lower costing carbines, because peopel do not want to out the $*% for a companion gun, and though I like the storm, I am sure walther would put together a better product. Well, I have rambled a bit, quick summary

Walther should compete against Kel tec, cause I want to buy what they use to compete

They should keep the price reasonable, between 3-600, and should be chanbered in 9mm and 40, and use p99 mags

and they should keep the plastics and other selling points as well, IE ergonomic, tennifer, sleek, and reliable. I would't mind if it had a decocker either. LOL

Well those are my 2 cents, how bout the groups??
Patrick

·
Registered
4,339 Posts
I would be interested if they made on; if it used the same mags. I like the storm, and I rented one. But I wish it were a little cheaper.

I was set to get the Keltec, but many people say U cannot fire it with ear muff hearing protection (you can't use the sights with them on). I rented the Storm, and liked it. I am not a rifle person, though. I prefer handguns. So, I don't know if I want to spend that much...

·
Registered
197 Posts
I LOVE the Beretta Cx4 Storm, .40SW preferably. I would like to see Walther make one kinda like it. No wood.
I really don't like the G22. Dosen't look good and not the best caliber.

P.S. Dude learn how to make a poll.
Just Kidding.

P.S.S. I remember when I made polls like you.

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]P.S. Dude learn how to make a poll.  Just Kidding.  
P.S.S. I remember when I made polls like you.  
Yes I too am embarrassed...please be patient and gentle with me my fellow Walther brethren...

You know what this means…I will just have to make more polls until I get it right…

·
Registered
83 Posts
realistically, a carbine version of the P99 would be at least a couple hundred dollars more than the pistol version.

that being said, if it worked well and was 'worth' the money, i'd start saving for one.

the pistol/carbine combo can be done using ruger P-series pistols and the PC9 or PC40 carbine.  pistol cartridges pick up quite a bit of velocity out of a long barrel.  it's a good idea that just never worked for ruger (or anyone else really).  they make a good product for a great price, but ruger gets a bad rep and little attention for some reason.  

i used to own a 9mm P94 and it did what it was supposed to everytime consisitently and easily.  they aren't the lightest, smallest or most 'modern' weapons, but they work very well for little $ and are of quality manufacture.  most ruger products are well worth the money.

i'm probably going to end up buying the wife a P89.  she's not a 'gun person' at all and the ruger P89 is the only pistol she has fired that she actually 'likes'.  anything i can do to get her shooting more often, i'll do.

i may have to get a ruger carbine if i get the wife a P89  

unless walther comes out with one first that i can afford with taking out a second morgage on my house.

frye

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well people I emailed Walther in Germany about this topic to see if they would consider a pistol caliber carbine.and I did get a response. It read ...

" There are no such plans."

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
For me to buy one, I'd have to see some 30 round magazines come with it first. It's not worth my money, if all I can get are 15 round magazines.

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
Wagemage, I suppose you're right. People would buy it. I'd just like to see them go back to making fine steel framed handguns like the P5 and P88.

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
That is one ugly carbine.

·
Premium Member
304 Posts
For plinking purposes, I'd like to see Walther make a pistol caliber carbine like the CX4 Storm, but I definitely understand why Walther won't do it at this point.

Regarding FN's PS90, it is a neutered firearm. The reason that the P90 has some pluses is that it provides good auto firepower in a small package. It was originally conceived of for people who might need rifle power (because a subgun wasn't enough) but normally would not need full length rifles because they were armor drivers or artillery guys, or rear with the gear types. This round was developed to address the perceived shortcomings of subguns that shoot handgun caliber ammo. It was thought that the P90 and Five seveN pistol would make a good combo since they can shoot the same round. On paper it makes sense, but most militaries have been reluctant to adopt either platform due to the expense and logisitical problems inherent with implementing new caliber weapons.

When you take away the select fire and add a longer barrel from the P90, you are specifically defeating two of the three advantages of the gun. It can fire some potent rounds, but I believe the ammo is still a little pricey and does not have great availability. Those things may change. I have handled one of the military versions but I did not fire it. It was my understanding from people who have shot it that the recoil is easily manageable.

If it does come in and prices go down a bit, perhaps the people in three-gun competition crowd will consider it. However, if I was going to spend that kind of money, I'd pick up the FS2000. It's a better deal for the price and you know ammo availability won't be an issue.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts