Walther Forums banner

Walther PDP with Holosun 407C, 507C, 508T co-witness

49K views 52 replies 31 participants last post by  C5 Pete 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
Hi guys, does somebody have experience with a Walther PDP and co-witnessed with a Holosun 407C, 507C, or 508T micro red dot? I mean with original out-of-the-box sights. Is it acceptable or do you need to change it to suppressor high sights? You know, I don't want to change the sights (suppressor sights are too bulky for me) and that's the reason why I'm thinking about Holosun 507K on PDP because its rear shape can act as a rear sight and maybe allow the use of original sights. The only problem is, that with Holosun 507K I must modify the Shield mounting plate (cut out rear lugs and shorten front). Can somebody help me with this "co-witness" problem? Thanks a lot

#4 ·
You don't know how happy I am to hear that. I have the 508T also, just waiting to pick up my PDP from the FFL. I'm wrecking my brain trying to figure out which suppressor height sights and sight pusher to buy. Then which direction to install PDP sights. Now I can keep the factory sights. Thanks for posting.

#5 ·
I'm using the CHPW plate with a 507C X2 and as others have said I can just barely see the tops of the stock sights. After taking a few measurements I decided to purchase a set of Ameriglo GL-511 with .315" Front height / .394" Rear height. I'm shooting for lower 1/4 to keep the glass as open as possible. They are supposed to arrive tomorrow and once I get them mounted I'll let you know how they turn out.

I have a NcSTAR Heavy Duty Universal Pistol Dovetail Pusher I've been using for years and it's worked on Glocks, HK's, etc and I'll find out how it does on PDP's shortly. I've heard quite a few people seem to like the Wheeler Engineering sight pusher although I've never used one personally. If price is not an issue, the Cadillac of sight pushers is the MGW Sight Pro.

#7 ·
I'm using the CHPW plate with a 507C X2 and as others have said I can just barely see the tops of the stock sights. After taking a few measurements I decided to purchase a set of Ameriglo GL-511 with .315" Front height / .394" Rear height. I'm shooting for lower 1/4 to keep the glass as open as possible. They are supposed to arrive tomorrow and once I get them mounted I'll let you know how they turn out.

I have a NcSTAR Heavy Duty Universal Pistol Dovetail Pusher I've been using for years and it's worked on Glocks, HK's, etc and I'll find out how it does on PDP's shortly. I've heard quite a few people seem to like the Wheeler Engineering sight pusher although I've never used one personally. If price is not an issue, the Cadillac of sight pushers is the MGW Sight Pro.
I just installed a 507C X2 on my PDP 4" compact. First time with a RDS. Once I find the sight visually in the glass I am dialed in, but I am finding it harder to acquire initially after drawing than fixed sights. Perhaps a matter of familiarity. But having that experience, a set of iron sights that Co-witness is more compelling. I wonder however if a fiber optic front sight would be challenging to my eyes agains the RDS?

#6 ·
My Ameriglo GL-511 sights arrived and I used my NcStar sight pusher to remove the OEM Rear sight from Right to Left and then installed the Ameriglo GL-511 from Left to Right. Does it make a difference which direction you go, I don't know, but I the method above works just fine. I was also lucky in that I was able to push the Ameriglo's in roughly one third of the with my fingers so I didn't have to do any sanding.

To the OP.... Owning your own sight pusher not only allows you to install your own sights but it also is helpful if you should ever need to drift your sights to get POA=POI. For what it costs to have your local gun shop to install sights on one or two handguns, you can own your own sight pusher.

As I said earlier, I could just barely see the tops of the OEM sights with my 507C, but I wouldn't want to rely on that in a high stress environment. On the other hand. I didn't want my backup sights taking up a lot of the window either so I decided to shoot for a lower 1/4 cowitness. The Ameriglo Front sights I used are .315 inch tall and it looks like I'm pretty close to my target cowitness of 1/4. Here are a couple of photos so you can see what it looks like.

#40 ·
Just out of curiosity, why would you ever go with a red front iron with a red 507c?!? If you were going for a true full cowitness then I could maybe understand the logic there but with lo-witness you are now having to delegate between 2 conflicting sight lines of the same color. While yes, both red lineups essentially have the same point of impact I would still be afraid of mixing them up in a high stress situation... I was going to go with either a yellow or white/clear front sight to help better differentiate but ultimately decided the best option BY FAR is to attach, practice and train with a light mounted on the lower picatinny rail, "streamlight tlr 1" while going with fully blacked out lower 1/8th irons. The benefits of using and becoming proficient with a mounted light adds so many advantages that I couldn't go without it. If you're on the receiving end of the tlr1 within a range of 2 feet to 20 feet you're immediately blinded and disoriented, not knowing exactly where the light source is coming from and from 20 feet to 60 feet it creates almost like a weird illusion to where the light source looks like its 8'x8' and still fully obscures the subject shining the light, giving the "bad guy let's say" absolutely minimal information to go off of if they so choose to retaliate. I also found that when I'm using the light on target, nomatter the distance, you can no longer pick up any glow from a front fiberoptic or tritium glow, turning your night sights into blacked out front and rears. I'm glad I decided to actually give the light mount a chance because originally I had never even considered it until seeing an educational YouTube video on the subject. Now I can't reccomend it enough. From this point forward, any firearm purchase that I intend to use specifically for ccw or home defense most certainly will have a light mount.

#10 ·
Hi guys, do somebody have any experience with Walther PDP and co-witness with Holosun 407C, 507C or 508T micro red dot? I mean with original out of the box sights. Is it acceptable or you need to change it to suppressor high sights? You know, I don't want to change the sights (supressor sights are too bulky for me) and that's the reason why I'm thinking about Holosun 507K on PDP, because its rear shape can act as a rear sight and maybe allow the use of original sights. The only problem is, that with Holosun 507K I must modify the Shield mountig plate (cut out rear lugs and shorten front). Can somebody help me with this "co-witness" problem? Thanks a lot
Yes, I have a 507C on mine. It did not co-witness with factory sights. I added CHPW plate which is a bit thinner than Walther's plate, still didn't. I added a set of Fision co-witness Night Sights for Glock 17. These are not as tall as suspressor sights. I attached pics hope they help.

Attachments

#12 ·
If that were me, then yes, it probably would be confusing. You'd need to make that determination for yourself though. For me, I ordered a set of suppressor height sights with a green front and yellow rears. I was wondering if the multicolor thing would be confusing, but decided it might be less confusing than trying to figure out which green dot was the front if they were all green (and the red dot failed, or I couldn't find it in a stress situation). In a high stress situation, I don't think I'd want to have to stop and try to think through which red dot is the right one if I had two.

#17 · (Edited)
I'm a Night Fision guy the yellow is like a neon sign in bright/daylight and can easily pick them up through the blue hue of the glass. I just hit them up about their Optics Ready Stealth sights and the Suppressor height sights and the difference with a 507C. I was worried that with the plate the Optics Ready would be too short but looks like a winner. I have the Suppressor Height on my G19 milled for the 507C works fine but wanted more window (they didn't have the OR Stealth when I got them) CS sent me a pic with a PDP and RMR (close enough to the 509C) and the specs. Here's what they sent me along with a poor shot of my G19 with suppressor height to get an idea
Automotive lighting Automotive design Hood Toy Motor vehicle
Gas Metal Automotive wheel system Auto part Plastic
Rectangle Slope Font Parallel Technology
Rectangle Font Slope Parallel Level

#19 ·
I've been waiting for these to get back in stock. Placed my order today and it's expected to be delivered Friday.

Holosun HS507C-X2 Pistol Red Dot Sight - ACSS[emoji2400] Vulcan[emoji769] Reticle

#24 ·
407c has the never fail feature with built in solar cell.

And the sight itself when mounted is plenty low enough and good for Iron sight quick acquisition...or at least good enough. I mean I would not bullseye shoot with it but a moving target at 25 meters...sure...good enough.

I mean I totally get that guys want the "ultimate"

But the ultimate for me is a Red Dot that won't fail in the first place.

Most I "might' do is just raise the front sight post just a bit with an aftermarket night sight...nothing more.

I like a very clear picture...red dot in center of screen and any kind of iron close to or interfering with that I just detest..distracts and slows me down.

But totally understand to each his own.

#29 · (Edited)
A longer barrel is all well and good until you carry appendix. I find a 4" barrel to be the right combination of comfort and capability. With appendix the grip printing is far less of an issue, with the right holster, belt, and shirt of course, but the barrel length can make a big difference on comfort. In the end concealment is different from everyone.

6' 4" 230lbs --> CAN conceal a 5" gun with X300 in a PHLster Spotlight, but it's nowhere near as comfortable as a 4" gun with flush mount (or no) light.

#31 · (Edited)
I’m sold on the night fision optics ready stealth series for Walther sights. Given night fision’s company history and longest guaranteed tritium glow in the industry (16 years) I think these might be the overall best sights for the PDP (or any other gun for that matter) to co-witness, unless you want suppressor height sights which take up a lot of the optics viewing window and can get busy.
Discount code: NIGHT15OFF gives you 15% off
Here’s a video with a lot of information in it that some might learn a little from

#33 ·
Chevron with the larger outer circle. The outer circle can be turned off (wait - pretty sure - never done it.)

The 507C X2 with the ACSS Vulcan indicates that specific reticle.- chevron and outer circle only.
The Holosun 507C can also be bought with a different/traditional - 2? MOA dot w/ 32? MOA circle.
407's just have the dot.

#43 ·
My accur8’s came in, I opted for the white front ring. They are very nice quality and that white glows in the sun. I did not have to file mine either.

Mine co witness right at the very bottom of my 507c, so much so that I can barely line up the sights. I am still trying adjust to the green acss reticle.

#44 ·
The rear sight is partially obstructed by the part of the 507c that is angled back, it is odd but it also helps as well as the bottom of the front tritium sight sits right on top of the angled part of the 507c when the tops of the rear and front sight are aligned. I find that it really helps me having that obstruction as it is easier to align than my other straight eight sites.

#47 ·
I have a 509T on my PDP Compact. I went with Trijicon Bright & Tough suppressor night sights with the white outline and green tritium. I have used these sights on all of my rds-equipped pistols.

They disappear when I look for the rds green dot...I do not even see them unless I am looking for them.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.