Walther Forums banner
21 - 40 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
I am interested in this setup. Do I need to do something special (modifications) with this optic to fit and co-witness with factory PDP Compact 4" sights?

The factory sights don't co witness with my 507C. If we didn't need a plate the sights would be kinda usable. I'd imagine the 407C or 507C bodies are the same just the reticle is different so Vulcan or not I'd say no. Can't speak on the 508 or 509 but I'd guess no on them too but maybe. I'm almost 100% certain regardless of the holosuns you'd need different sights

·
Registered
41 Posts
I am interested in this setup. Do I need to do something special (modifications) with this optic to fit and co-witness with factory PDP Compact 4" sights?
No. I tried it with the factory plate and then the , C&H Precision plate (because I had read on this forum that it was thin enough to co-witness). Neither co-witness with the 507C. I'm good with that now. With my experience using the ACSS Vulcan and the way things are going.....I'm slowly putting red dots on my other pistols (I have a HE507K - green dot pre-ordered for my Sig 365XL...which is my EDC). I may eventually put some suppressor height sights on my PDP.

Knowing what I know now - I would not have spent the $70 on the C&H plate and gone with the free Walther factory one. The C&H plate in more engineered.....worth the extra $70?????....folks can make their own decisions. I'm running the C&H plate because I bought it.

Hope that helps -

·
Registered
3 Posts
Knowing what I know now - I would not have spent the $70 on the C&H plate and gone with the free Walther factory one. The C&H plate in more engineered.....worth the extra $70?????....folks can make their own decisions. I'm running the C&H plate because I bought it.

Hope that helps -
Right there with you 70 is a bit steep but I do like how much lighter the C&H plate is especially with the added weight of the optic and light.

Night Fision has optic ready sights they are taller than stock and shorter than Suppressor Height so it's a lower co witness leaving more window open

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
83 Posts
407c has the never fail feature with built in solar cell.

And the sight itself when mounted is plenty low enough and good for Iron sight quick acquisition...or at least good enough. I mean I would not bullseye shoot with it but a moving target at 25 meters...sure...good enough.

I mean I totally get that guys want the "ultimate"

But the ultimate for me is a Red Dot that won't fail in the first place.

Most I "might' do is just raise the front sight post just a bit with an aftermarket night sight...nothing more.

I like a very clear picture...red dot in center of screen and any kind of iron close to or interfering with that I just detest..distracts and slows me down.

But totally understand to each his own.

·
Registered
P99QA Gen 1 (sold), PDPc 4", PDPc 5", Q5 Match, PPS M2, P22, and a few from lesser brands as well.
345 Posts
I love the concept of the 5" compact, but my brain can't get itself wrapped about being able to conceal that barrel length, so am leaning toward the 4". I am 6'3" and 250 lbs, so not small. Maybe part of the issue is my usual CCW are a Hellcat or XDS Mod.2.
In my experience, the grip length is the hardest part to conceal. The barrel length really doesn't play into the concealment much. A longer barrel would just extend further down into the pants, or would cause everything to ride slightly higher, but it wouldn't stick out any more. I find this to be the case between my 3" PPS and my 4" PDP. The PDP length is not any more difficult to conceal. But all that said, I've never tried a 5" gun, so I can't say this is the case with 100% certainty.

·
In Memoriam
15,041 Posts
In my experience, the grip length is the hardest part to conceal. The barrel length really doesn't play into the concealment much. A longer barrel would just extend further down into the pants, or would cause everything to ride slightly higher, but it wouldn't stick out any more. I find this to be the case between my 3" PPS and my 4" PDP. The PDP length is not any more difficult to conceal. But all that said, I've never tried a 5" gun, so I can't say this is the case with 100% certainty.
Agreed. Same holds true for me....I can carry a 5" as easily as a 4". Yep, its the length of the grip that presents the problem....a PDP compact (which has the same size/length grip as a PPQ) is certainly easier to conceal than the FS model. I'm not a big guy, but I carried a S&W SW99 45 'concealed' IWB, under my t-shirt, all around the hospital the other day....but that's just 'one' example. Concealment relies on choosing the right holster, the right carry location on the belt, ride height, cant and attire.

·
Registered
8 Posts
A longer barrel is all well and good until you carry appendix. I find a 4" barrel to be the right combination of comfort and capability. With appendix the grip printing is far less of an issue, with the right holster, belt, and shirt of course, but the barrel length can make a big difference on comfort. In the end concealment is different from everyone.

6' 4" 230lbs --> CAN conceal a 5" gun with X300 in a PHLster Spotlight, but it's nowhere near as comfortable as a 4" gun with flush mount (or no) light.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I love the concept of the 5" compact, but my brain can't get itself wrapped about being able to conceal that barrel length, so am leaning toward the 4". I am 6'3" and 250 lbs, so not small. Maybe part of the issue is my usual CCW are a Hellcat or XDS Mod.2.
I currently conceal the XDs Mod 2 9MM, with the extended 9 round magazine. No light or red dot on it either. I have the 5" Compact PDP with a red dot, and waiting on the new holster for the light. The printing difference between the two is very minimal. The barrel of the PDP sticks further down the pants, as others have mentioned. I'm at 6'3" and about 220-230 range myself. The only issue I currently have with the PDP being concealed is the factory irons. The rear sights have a slightly pointed edge that sometimes digs into me a little. With a undershirt, I don't feel it as much. A different holster could fix the issue too, but I'll be switching that when I get my new one in the mail.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I’m sold on the night fision optics ready stealth series for Walther sights. Given night fision’s company history and longest guaranteed tritium glow in the industry (16 years) I think these might be the overall best sights for the PDP (or any other gun for that matter) to co-witness, unless you want suppressor height sights which take up a lot of the optics viewing window and can get busy.
Discount code: NIGHT15OFF gives you 15% off
Here’s a video with a lot of information in it that some might learn a little from

·
Registered
41 Posts
@the guys with the 507 Vulcans:
Does this optic come with other sight reticles or its just the chevron?
Chevron with the larger outer circle. The outer circle can be turned off (wait - pretty sure - never done it.)

The 507C X2 with the ACSS Vulcan indicates that specific reticle.- chevron and outer circle only.
The Holosun 507C can also be bought with a different/traditional - 2? MOA dot w/ 32? MOA circle.
407's just have the dot.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Yes, I have a 507C on mine. It did not co-witness with factory sights. I added CHPW plate which is a bit thinner than Walther's plate, still didn't. I added a set of Fision co-witness Night Sights for Glock 17. These are not as tall as suspressor sights. I attached pics hope they help.
Hard to really tell with pictures. Does this setup work well for you? To me it looks a little on the low side. Do you think it would work with the stock Walther plate? I am trying to decide between these sights and the suppressor height ones. Thanks in advance

·
Registered
18 Posts
Hard to really tell with pictures. Does this setup work well for you? To me it looks a little on the low side. Do you think it would work with the stock Walther plate? I am trying to decide between these sights and the suppressor height ones. Thanks in advance

I have the Walther plate and just installed Nite Fision Costa Ludus sights (lower than suppressor height). They cowitness right at the bottom edge of the window on my 407CO...still visible enough to be useful if needed, but out of the way otherwise.

NIGHT FISION OFFICIAL COSTA LUDUS NIGHT SIGHTS - Night Fision

Air gun Gun barrel Trigger Gun accessory Airsoft gun

Crappy pic, but it gives an idea. When the sights are lined up, the front is lower in the window.
Automotive tire Grey Automotive design Automotive wheel system Gas

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have the Walther plate and just installed Nite Fision Costa Ludus sights (lower than suppressor height). They cowitness right at the bottom edge of the window on my 407CO...still visible enough to be useful if needed, but out of the way otherwise.

NIGHT FISION OFFICIAL COSTA LUDUS NIGHT SIGHTS - Night Fision

View attachment 102185

Crappy pic, but it gives an idea. When the sights are lined up, the front is lower in the window.
View attachment 102186
Thanks for the helpful feedback. The Stealths are .041" higher than the Costas. I think that they will be just about right for my preferences

·
Registered
38 Posts
My Ameriglo GL-511 sights arrived and I used my NcStar sight pusher to remove the OEM Rear sight from Right to Left and then installed the Ameriglo GL-511 from Left to Right. Does it make a difference which direction you go, I don't know, but I the method above works just fine. I was also lucky in that I was able to push the Ameriglo's in roughly one third of the with my fingers so I didn't have to do any sanding.

To the OP.... Owning your own sight pusher not only allows you to install your own sights but it also is helpful if you should ever need to drift your sights to get POA=POI. For what it costs to have your local gun shop to install sights on one or two handguns, you can own your own sight pusher.

As I said earlier, I could just barely see the tops of the OEM sights with my 507C, but I wouldn't want to rely on that in a high stress environment. On the other hand. I didn't want my backup sights taking up a lot of the window either so I decided to shoot for a lower 1/4 cowitness. The Ameriglo Front sights I used are .315 inch tall and it looks like I'm pretty close to my target cowitness of 1/4. Here are a couple of photos so you can see what it looks like.

View attachment 98074

View attachment 98075
Just out of curiosity, why would you ever go with a red front iron with a red 507c?!? If you were going for a true full cowitness then I could maybe understand the logic there but with lo-witness you are now having to delegate between 2 conflicting sight lines of the same color. While yes, both red lineups essentially have the same point of impact I would still be afraid of mixing them up in a high stress situation... I was going to go with either a yellow or white/clear front sight to help better differentiate but ultimately decided the best option BY FAR is to attach, practice and train with a light mounted on the lower picatinny rail, "streamlight tlr 1" while going with fully blacked out lower 1/8th irons. The benefits of using and becoming proficient with a mounted light adds so many advantages that I couldn't go without it. If you're on the receiving end of the tlr1 within a range of 2 feet to 20 feet you're immediately blinded and disoriented, not knowing exactly where the light source is coming from and from 20 feet to 60 feet it creates almost like a weird illusion to where the light source looks like its 8'x8' and still fully obscures the subject shining the light, giving the "bad guy let's say" absolutely minimal information to go off of if they so choose to retaliate. I also found that when I'm using the light on target, nomatter the distance, you can no longer pick up any glow from a front fiberoptic or tritium glow, turning your night sights into blacked out front and rears. I'm glad I decided to actually give the light mount a chance because originally I had never even considered it until seeing an educational YouTube video on the subject. Now I can't reccomend it enough. From this point forward, any firearm purchase that I intend to use specifically for ccw or home defense most certainly will have a light mount.

21 - 40 of 45 Posts