Walther Forums banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Air gun Trigger Gun barrel Gun accessory Composite material

Here's the new PDP SD Pro. Features a threaded barrel, a flared magwell, a Dynamic Performance Trigger and a "reinforced" optics cut. Available in both Compact and Full Size

·
Registered
P99QA Gen 1 (sold), PDPc 4", PDPc 5", Q5 Match, PPS M2, P22, and a few from lesser brands as well.
343 Posts
Not surprising since we already saw SKUs for this, along with colored PDPs. Honestly, this is a little disappointing. Seems like a hybrid thing that will serve Tacti-cool social media people well, but with no real place in the market.

With the lighter dynamic trigger, it would be a bad idea for daily carry, but great for competition; but...
with the magwell flare, that limits it's competition use dramatically.

I don't see the extra cost making it popular with any LE organization, especially since very few of those need the threaded barrel.

Maybe I'm missing something....

·
Registered
P99QA Gen 1 (sold), PDPc 4", PDPc 5", Q5 Match, PPS M2, P22, and a few from lesser brands as well.
343 Posts
Is the mag well legal in idpa carry optics?
Unless I’m mistaken, mag wells are illegal in all IDPA divisions.

Edit: It looks like I may be mistaken. I quick google search makes reference to mag wells in IDPA that fit into the sizing box, so maybe they are legal in some IDPA divisions.

·
Registered
343 Posts
Thanks, I’ve only ever shot SSP. If the mag well rule it out, it’s basically just relegated to a “flex on Instagram “ gun. Would like to have seen an SC model or something for SHOT
Just looked up the actual rule book. Apparently mag wells are legal in IDPA for ESP/CO. They are not legal for SSP. Didn’t read through the other divisions.

So many rule differences between IDPA and USPSA and between all the divisions within. Hard to keep track of them all.

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
"Reinforced" optics cut? Why? Did they find that they mucked up the 'original' cut?

There was a you tube video that made a lot of negative claims about the optics cut (without backing them up)... curious if that dude ended up being correct.
Exactly my thoughts.

·
Administrator
2,922 Posts
"Reinforced" optics cut? Why? Did they find that they mucked up the 'original' cut?

There was a you tube video that made a lot of negative claims about the optics cut (without backing them up)... curious if that dude ended up being correct.
There's a story there for sure.

It looks like the new optics cut is the only thing really new with the gun.

The rest of this new Pro model could be assembled from the parts bin in Fort Smith.

·
Administrator
2,922 Posts
I wonder if the “reinforced slide cut” will become standard on all PDPs. It seems kind of dumb for them to manufacture 2 different slides
That's a real good question. Hopefully that question is asked by somebody at SHOT Show.

I'd guess the new slide cut would be standard across all PDPs but then Walther has a way of surprising us.

·
Administrator
2,922 Posts
It looks like Walther has now officially announced the colored frames versions of the PDP.

Now that's innovation.

I have to wonder if Walther still has engineers that can design a new handgun on the payroll.

·
Registered
99 Posts
The worst part is that they actually go out of their way to engineer things that make people question their quality/reputation. Why wouldn’t they have just made the PDP slide cut with the bosses in the first place? Remember when they could have simply chopped a ppq to make an SC, but instead they revised the extractor design and the cheapo plastic striker guide, thus necessitating new magazine springs? I love my PDP and Qs, but this company definitely has my scratching my head at times

·
Registered
173 Posts
So will this ultimately be the polymer Q5 Match replacement? Roughly the same MSRP, Optics Ready, available in 4.5" barrel (compared to 5") and greater capacity. I think the magwell is removeable...

1 - 20 of 37 Posts