Walther Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
4,343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 9mm Walther P99 A/S compact (and a fullsize). Everyone online knows how much I love the fullsize - as I comment on it incessantly.

However - on the compact, I wish the backstrap was a tiny, tiny bit longer. I noticed that on the XD subcompact - the backstrap is a tiny bit longer. I also don't need a grip extension on the mag to hold it comfortably.

My local range had a bunch of XDs for rent - so today, I took my P99c and shot it head to head with the rented XDsc 9mm.

The XD does feel nice in the hand. However, the range only had the extended mags to shoot with - so I could not shoot the gun with the shorter, more compact mag.

When shooting both - I shot well with the XDsc. ALMOST as good as I do with the P99c. Another interest in the XDsc was that every shot is the same, where the P99c is DA/SA. The DA is pretty light on my Walther however. And, at 1 handed shots in DA at 10 feet with my P99c, I did about as well as I did with the XDsc.

Now - it may not matter to some - but I tried loadeding the XD, and then removing the mag - to simulate what the grip would be like with just the short mag (instead of the extended mag). The gun failed to eject and would jam EVERY time the gun was fired w/o a mag. Aftter a few times of this - I tried shooting the Walther w/o a mag (I'd load 1 round from the mag and then drop it).

The P99c NEVER failed to cycle with no mag.

So, if that test is important to someone... There is the info... I'm not sure it would stop me from buying an XDsc if I really wanted one. I just found it interesting...

Anyway - if I didn't own the Walther, and I was looking at the XD - I'd probably get it. But being that the guns are so much alike in size... And, despite the shorter backstrap on the Walthher, I still shoot it better...

I don't see the point in spending nearly $500 (the gun +tax for a 2 tone one) for the XD.... I thought I had found my next gun... But, I think I'll pass, at least for now...

The XD and a Beretta Cheetah had been the 2 next guns on my list (the Cheetah is just a gun I've wanted to own for the past 5 years - and I did get to shoot one 2 weeks ago)... I think I'll buy the Cheetah next....

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
Interesting range report.

I have never heard anyone complain about the XD, only good reports. Of course they are made in Croatia and after the war the Walther workers at Zehllis-Mehllis fled to Croatia rather than being under Soviet control, hence their off-spring are now making the XD. The only logical reason why it is as good as the P99. (BTW, that is all BS, my gun store clerk impersonation)

I have never fired an XD, but I did have a G19, and I could shoot it as well as my P99 also. I almost bought a G26, but then went with the PM9 instead and have since sold it(not accurate enough) waiting on a PPS. I think with all these mid size compacts it comes down to aesthetics as quality seems to be excellent, I am speaking of Walther P99C, Glock 26, XDcomp.

·
Registered
4,343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
See, I had a Glock 26 for 8 years - then I discovered the P99 at the end of 2005. I really didn't like the G26 - I hated the trigger, and only kept the gun all that time because it was pretty much rust proof.

I sold it when I got my P99c, and I can shoot the P99c probably 2x as well as I could that G26...

The XDsc against the G26 - I'd get the XD without a thought....

But, at this point, unless I just had money to burn, I'm gonna pas on the XDsc...

Now, I DO like the 45 ACP XD.... The next 45 I may get will be that one - but I think it will be after the cheetah...

·
Registered
93 Posts
Interesting range report.

I have never heard anyone complain about the XD, only good reports. Of course they are made in Croatia and after the war the Walther workers at Zehllis-Mehllis fled to Croatia rather than being under Soviet control, hence their off-spring are now making the XD. The only logical reason why it is as good as the P99. (BTW, that is all BS, my gun store clerk impersonation)
Someone smack Banddr2 for me please. He had me going there for a second, lol.

·
Registered
144 Posts
ShipWreck ....
However - on the compact, I wish the backstrap was a tiny, tiny bit longer.
You can try this (see attached), that's a spare medium backstrap of the full size P99. I like its curvature better, cut it to the right length to fit my palm. Yes, it was painful to drill the hole at the right position.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Wow - that is an interesting idea. If it didn't require drilling, I'd be all over that... Kewl.

·
Registered
4,343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Oh wait - U drilled the backstrap and not the gun? Oh, I misread that.

I think I have an extra medium backstrap for the fullsize gun.

I'll pull it out and see if I can get a neighbor drill it for me (I avoid powertools at all costs).

Do U know what size drill bit?

·
Registered
144 Posts
I forgot what size of drill bit, it was back in '06. Try different small bits to see which one fits the holes at the frame best. The backstrap is soft material, be patient.

·
Registered
4,343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I finally am home and looked at the backstrap - I see U cut part of it. I don't think I could do that and make it look decent.

·
Registered
71 Posts
OKAY, now I can truly compare the P99 to the XD. I shot 50 rounds through a brand new XD today. I want to sell my P99. :eek: There, i said it. The trigger on the XD is WAYYYY smoother.( I have a P99. QA) The XD has almost NO muzzle flip compared to my P99. I've been shooting my P99 for two years now. It is my carry gun. I will not sell my P99 but next to my Kimber, that little XD is my new fav. firearm. and 100 bucks cheaper than my P99 was.:confused:

·
Registered
4,343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
What size XD did you get?

See, to me - I have shot the fullsize 9mm XD - and it was just so so. I'd choose it over a Glock. But I still shoot better with the P99.

However, I will admit to really liking the 45 XD.

Anyway - glad you like your new gun.

·
Registered
71 Posts
I didn't buy one...YET. My friend bought a xd-40. same cal. as my P99. I'm NOT a Glock fan at all. But his XD is every bit as reliable as my P99. We shot over 500 rounds through it yesterday and not one ftf, fte. That XD is so smooth. The grip is just as ergonimic as my P99. The indent on the grip where my thumb rests is "perfect". I have alot to say about it, Walther has some good competition with this firearm. If my P99 was this smooth, I think it would be ALOT more popular on this side of the pond.:)

·
Premium Member
4,589 Posts
The XD shoots "nicer" to some since it is a lot heavier
I agree with Ship.. in .45 it is hard to beat. Lots of rounds in a package that you can handle. The Glock 21SF still is thicker than the XD and their ambi mag release truly sucks big time.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Yep, I agree, Glocks suck. But i was really impressed with the Springfield. That XD made a really big impression on me. I went out today and shot another friends S&W m&p. Just another Sigma. I wonder what would happen if one of these guys got the total package correct.??? Weight, ergonimics, reliability, smooth trigger, good looks. I think its still a Tie between the P99 and XD.:)

·
Registered
17 Posts
skir68 said:
I wonder what would happen if one of these guys got the total package correct.??? Weight, ergonimics, reliability, smooth trigger, good looks.
One of them did. It's called the P99c AS.

I doubt I'll own a P99 anytime soon (student). The Sig 228 is the halo gun of that size.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts