Walther Forums banner

Walther P99AS versus Taurus 24/7 OSS

4K views 10 replies 6 participants last post by  MATCHES 
#1 ·
While downloading some catalogs from various gun manufacturers I ran across the apparently new (striker-fired) Taurus 24/7 OSS. According to their "Tactical Manual 2007 " (which is a commercial flyer, you can download it from their website) Taurus advertises the gun as "featuring Taurus' revolutionary Single Action/Double Action trigger system that fires normally from a smooth single action mode, yet, it provides a life-saving second try at firing a faulty cartridge - a feature no other pistol on the market offers".

IMHO Walther's P99 AS was the first striker-fired SA/DA pistol or am I wrong? Isn't the P99's striker system patent protected? Nevertheless I'm very curious about the mechanical functioning / operating of this gun. Does anyone have some more technical info?

#5 ·
The link in my previous post has a number of comments by some 24/7 owners who have had repeated FTF, stovepipe and jamming problems with their weapons. Repeated returns to Taurus in Miami failed to satisfactorily solve this problem for these handguns. Not all 24/7 owners have had these problems and many are happy with their guns, but I note that these happy customers do not put through the number of rounds as those with complaints.

I have not seen complaints of this nature for the P99 on any forum. Consequently, I am led to believe that the P99 is a more reliable weapon than the 24/7.

#9 ·
:( What a piece of "CRAP"....anyone read the article printed in the march/april issue of American Handgunner? The writer was given a Taurus PROLS to test, and wrote: "The pistol experienced two stove-pipes during the first 200 rounds." I think i'll stick with my Walther P99. Several thousand rounds of Whatever the cheapest ammo is and NEVER had a FTF/FTE, much less a stovepipe. If you were a burgler trying to break into my house, what gun do you wish I had?...:confused:

#10 ·
It's been said over and over again on this forum but you're right; if I had to bet my life on a single handgun, it would be my P99 ! Never experienced any mulfuntioning whatsoever since I bought the gun 8 years ago (and it's not a safe queen !) As for the reliability and out of the box precision Walther pistols in general are very underrated. But hey whatever ! I've got 2 Walthers, so bad luck for the others !

#11 ·
There is an important less here, and not just buck up and get a Walther. Know what ammo works in your firearms and what fouls them up. All ammo and all firearms are not the same and there will almost always be incompatibiltiy issues somewhere.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.