Walther Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had originally written about being a 1911 user and trying out a P99AS. So far 500 rounds through. The first 250 were Fiochhi 124grn RNFMJ which felt like they were loaded to alomst 9MM NATO specs. They were ok, but not too pleasant. The second 250 were all 115grn WWB, and they (like the Fiochhi) functioned flawlessly. I am always skeptical about claims of accuracy. I feel it is safer (for the most part) to suggest that certain guns allow me to be more accurate than others due to various intangibles, but I have to say, this Walther really suprised me! Fifteen yard ragged one hole groups that went right to the point of aim were no problem. I had someone else shoot the gun at the same distance with the same result. I have to take exception to those who make the claim that the P99 is capable of only "combat" accuracy. I have to admit I did not expect it to shoot on par with my 1911 match guns, but it did.

So basically Walther has produced a gun of superior ergonomics with a excellent non-reflective tough finish, that (so far) seems 100% reliable, has an excellent double to single action transition, light weight, and puts 9mm rounds on target right where I put the front sight. That's about as close to total satisfaction as anyone is likely to get. Of course, I can only speak for my experiences with the piece, but I think my findings are the rule rather than the exception based on what I've heard here.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The QA features a partially pre-cocked striker that yields a consistent trigger pull. Sort of like a Glock, the SIG DAK triggers, or the HK LEM triggers. The P99AS is a traditional double action design for the most part with a flush mounted decocker on the top of the slide. You chamber a round, decock it, and the first shot will be DA and subsequent shots will be SA.

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
Caspian,
Nice to see someone who attempts to be objective and come away with real positive result. I can only speak for myself. I doubt if I could be as objective, at least not now. I was bitten by the Walter bug several years ago and I am a firm supporter of the P99. Granted I have limited experience with Sig, HK or even Glocks but I in no way feel that the P99 has to bow its head in their presence. As for the ?mattle toy? platform, I would rather own a P99 than any other. If I was to go all metal it would be a toss up between a Sig and a 1911?.

If you think the P99 AS is a good piece, you need to get your hands on a Compact?;)

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I think having owned or used these other brands really helps to evaluate a piece. If I had bought it and it was crap, believe me, I would have said so with no reservations. The inevitable comparison is to the Glock, and I have nothing bad at all to say about the Glock. I own 2 (G26 & G34) and they are magnificent pieces of machinery. The problem when it comes to looking at the pieces objectively is that some people are not content until you think what they think and by doing so, soothe their insecurities.

This is evident when comparing different guns. If you are secure in your choice, that's all that really matters. When dealing with well-made, high quality firearms, in general, there is no "better". There is what is better for a particular user. Having said that, I feel after using many different systems, that the P99 takes a back seat to no other 9mm platform, including Glock, HK, and SIG.

The Glock has gained the lion's share of the law enforcement market due to aggressive marketing and favorable pricing, and also because it is believed that that system is easier to train users on. Personally, and again, this is just my opinion, I think the Glock system is on par with the 1911 cocked & locked mode of carry, it is totally safe in trained hands, but is probably not a good choice for people or cops who will not develop the skill necessary to become proficient and safe with it. That however, is another story.

So back to the point, which is that the P99 system continues to impress me, for what that's worth.

·
Premium Member
1,792 Posts
Very objective. I am moved your your two comments and those of Uncut and ShipWreck's on the P99. I have and carry ccw a Sig p225 (with a decocker which I like) for twenty years and shoot it very very well, as I do my 70 series Colt .45. Being over 50, I can not feel comfortable training and carrying the .45 cocked & locked...too late in life for me. No hands on with Glock. I do have a new used P5 that I am Jones'n to try out. Thanks for sharing guys.

photo

·
Registered
539 Posts
I frequently shoot my P99AS in action matches (IDPA style) and always holster in DA mode. The transition DA/SA is flawless and under the pressure of the match you can hardly tell the difference. Still, the DA trigger makes me feel more secure carrying a gun without a safety. Plus the decocker is just excellent. That's a thing the QA has over Glocks too. You can decock it without dropping the striker. At the match we are required to unload, show empty and decock before re-holstering. A few weeks ago someone did an AD with a 1911 when dropping the hammer. It hasn't happened with a glock yet but it could. Won't -ever- happen with a P99 even if you are stupid enough not to check the chamber.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
AD while clearing 1911...! I bet he was embarassed. As you suggest, the user is the ultimate safety, but yes, I do like the DA carry of the P99 over the Glock. Clearing 1911...drop mag, rack slide make sure round comes out, check chamber..then dry fire in safe direction. Some people have the hardest time doing that!

·
Registered
539 Posts
Yes, he was very embarassed and so was the RSO who thought he looked into the chamber and instructed him to dry fire. Luckily the last remaining rule 'always point in a safe direction' saved the day although the round hit the ground and not the back stop. You can bet all our 1911 shooters (majority) now actually aim at the backstop when dropping the hammer. I think he had a fouled extractor that slipped over the rim on just -that- extraction event.

Still, a platform shows its age when something like this can happen.

·
Registered
4,352 Posts
I too used to be a big 1911 fan. In 2005, I purchased a SW99 for $439 because I couldn't find a P99 in A/S (for about 6 months or so, Walther did not import any A/S models).

Anyway, I was amazed that I shot that SW99 better than a $1200 1911 I had at the time.

Now that I have my fullsize P99 A/S, I shoot it even a tiny bit better than I do the SW99. I don't bother spending mucho bucks on expensive 1911s anymore.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
To be fair, I think you see more failures of 1911 pattern guns due to the sheer volume of them being used. 1911 extractors can be troublesome depending on the heat treating of the part and the quality of the steel. Each has an effect on it's ability to retain it's tension. As much as I love the 1911, it is fair to say that out of the box, you are less likely to experience an extractor issue with a Glock/HK/Sig/XD/Walther (not to say it CAN"T happen, just less likely).

·
Registered
22 Posts
The real advantage of the 1911 over the Walther is the ability to use it as a battle hammer when the ammo runs out.:D :D

Seriously, with a well functioning example of each, whats to like.

In overall feel, the single action 1911 gets my nod for trigger quality, but the Walther is the cream of the crop versus the other modern design combat handguns mentioned. The ability of the P99 to hold 17 rounds of 9mm +P JHP outweighs the difference in trigger feel between it and the 1911 for a CCW weapon, in my opinion.

I recently started subbing in my P99 as a CCW weapon after my Versa Max holster finally arrived. Suffice it to say I notice a little weight difference versus my steel frame government model Colt.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Easy bro..we don't need the 1911 guys getting angry at us (I'm one of them)! Just kidding. Good observations on the P99. I will be in the market for an IWB holster soon, and will have to be deciding on what ammo I am going to carry, but that may be another thread!

One additional plus for the P99. it does not appear to have a lot of parts (I think between 36-39, but feel free to correct me.) When it comes to gun design, less is more. The fewer parts, the better.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Easy bro..we don't need the 1911 guys getting angry at us (I'm one of them)
Oh don't worry...Notice I said subbing. The good ol' Colt still will still get its carry time.

There's time enough for all..
Women are made to love,
Money is made to spend,
and guns are made to shoot
and carry
and clean
Repeat each of the above until everybody is happy.

By the way if your looking for an IWB, consider a Milt Sparks VersaMax II. The wait time is atrocious at about 20 weeks, but once I tried one for my 1911's, I was a convert. The one for the P99 has functioned equally as well. It's all I use now.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.