Walther Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Forgive me if this has been asked before, first time posting here.

I bought a Walther P99, in .40 cal a few years ago. Apparently I have one that has a S&W slide and Walther frame. It is the OD green variant. I have been doing research, and understand that there were only about 3000 of these made. Is this true, and does this add to the value of my pistol?

·
Super Moderator
9,923 Posts
If it's a P99, both slide and frame were made by Walther in Ulm, Germany. Only the SW99 had slides and barrels made by Smith & Wesson and frames made by Walther. S&W is roll-marked on your slide because they were the importer.

·
Registered
6,756 Posts
All 9mm P99 pistols are 100% German.

There was a small run of around 5,000 .40 P99 pistols where S&W made the slide and barrel. I believe all of them had green frames, and I believe that Walther offered to replace these pistols with all German .40 P99 pistols if the owner requested it. If that pistol doesn't have German proof marks, it is more than likely one of these 5,000.

I'd say it is unique, but I don't see the value as being any higher than a "normal" P99.

·
Registered
2,969 Posts
There was a huge thread about this back when it happened. People were outraged and Walther tiptoed around the issue and ended up pretty red faced about the whole thing.

Not sure how many were made but 3,000+/- sounds right IIRC.

I don't put much of a value on them. In fact I think it detracts from the value, but who knows. A collector of oddities might find some worth in them.

I'd rather have my MI5 edition back.

·
Registered
9 Posts
No

It diminishes the value. Most Walther enthusiasts assume a P99 whose barrel and slide were made by S&W to be inferior. I own one, so I tend to agree: in slight but noticeable respects, the fit and finish is not as good as the German versions.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Walther only made 9mm P99 to start with. Smith & Wesson developed the 40 Cal and 45 acp variants and still owns some of the patients and provides some of the parts to Walther. When Walther first wanted to market the P99 in 40 I believe S&W built the transition pistols until Walther could tool up for production. I own both SW99 and P99 the fit and finish and tolerances of the SW is better in my opinion and backed up by calipers. I have a SW99 upper on my P99.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Yep its true, 5000 were made. S&W made the slides and barrels, Walther made the frames. The information about these guns and actually all P99's made use to be online on Dr. Ken Lunde's Walther P99 faq web page. This is one of them, I've owned it since it was new and it was verified by Walthers. I dont keep a round count on it anymore, but its had thousands of rounds through it and its still going strong.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I forgot to add that on these 5000 mix-bread P99's, the serial number starts out as 46xxxx. So if the first two digits start out as 46, its one of them.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Did Smith&Wesson eventually make their own frames or were all SW99s hybrids?
I really dont know. There's enough differences in the two frames, and S&W has always had the capability to make their own frames, so they no doubt had the ability. Then again, Wiki has the place of origin of the Smith & Wesson SW99 as Germany & the United States.

·
Premium Member
1,587 Posts
I really dont know. There's enough differences in the two frames, and S&W has always had the capability to make their own frames, so they no doubt had the ability. Then again, Wiki has the place of origin of the Smith & Wesson SW99 as Germany & the United States.
Makes me think Smith eventually produced their own frames.

I had an SW45 at one time but do not recall who produced the frame. If I had to bet I'd guess Smith.

Too many guns and too many years ago.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts