Walther Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm trying to choose between these two guns, as I'd like to get a  polymer-based 9mm pistol for range practice and home protection.  I like the reputation for HK accuracy and recoil handling, but the ergonomics and accessories (sight and grip adjustment, etc.) of the Walther are appealing.  Any opinions welcomed.

·
Registered
231 Posts
I've had my HK .40 compact since '98 and shot ok with it. Picked up a Walther P99 .40 and shot twice as good within 100 rounds, just enough to get use to the trigger.

Perceived recoil to me is less with the P99, this might have to do with the ergonomics as it fits my hand like a glove.

I also had two breakdowns with my HK- recoil spring c-clip broke and sear axle always walking out of the frame and rubbing on the slide. None of these problems were fatal, just annoying considering it was a $750.00 gun- not cheap.

No doubt the HK is a good polymer handgun however I think the Walther is superior in every way.

Remember, your mileage may vary and I am also comparing the HK compact as the full size HK was way to big for my hands.

Once you put 500 rounds or so through the Walther the trigger will smooth out. Can't go wrong with the Walther.

HTH

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks much for the valuable feedback. One last question: have you tried the CZ100 in 9 mm? I like the ergonomics of the grip but don't know much else.

·
Registered
27 Posts
My brother has a USP 9mm full size. I have a P99 9mm. He loves his gun and prefers it over mine. I love my gun and prefer it over his. I think with either gun you'd be very happy but obviously I'd recommend the P99 first.

I'll also end this by saying I myself own a USP .45 full size also. I'd still reach for my P99 if anything ever required "action" on my part. Honestly I'd probably grab my Mossberg before the Walther.

·
Registered
382 Posts
I am a Die hard walther fan, and i love my P99, i have had two of them and not one problem out of either. To me they are the best handgun in their class on the market.
My friend is a Die hard HK fan, he fills the USP and USP compact are the best......for him, the gun fits him better and shoots better to him...........

Guns are like Cars......theyll all get you from point A to point B, but some just do it better than others........and with more style......you just gotta find one thats your style

·
Registered
12 Posts
I own both, and the Walther P99 in my humble opinion is a much more desireable weapon, if I had to get rid of one it would be the HK, it is a fine weapon but does not compare with the Walther in any aspect.

·
Registered
78 Posts
i had both P99 and USP9F.  just sold the USP because it just wasn't a good shooter for me.  i got both at about the same time, the P99 was new and the USP was used.  and i was able to shoot the P99 100% better than the USP.  at even after 4 months, i was able to get better with the USP, but no where near the P99.  the P99 groups as well as my G34 w/KKM match barrel.

the trigger on the USP was crappy compared to the P99 or Glocks. also i didn't like the safety/decocker lever.

BTW, the funds from the USP went to buy a Beretta 391  

·
Registered
71 Posts
Please beware of CZ100. I've been considering this gun as one of my options too (p99 9mm was a final answer). I did my homework and I advise to think twice before you buy that pistol. Two major points were: CZ100 is a DAO pistol. You won't get a DA/SA action of the p99 if you opt for the CZ. In addition, I found a very disheartening report in one of the CZ boards about a horrible trigger on CZ100. I can't believe how smooth and light my p99 single action trigger is now, after about 600 rounds.
CZ is a great gun maker and I really want to get their fantastic CZ75 one day. Just wanted to offer my 2 cents about your thoughts to get a CZ100.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts