Walther Forums banner

61 - 78 of 78 Posts

·
Registered
2,859 Posts
... I always preferred to carry my P99 in DA mode because I saw no difference in performance between the two trigger modes, so I went with the "safer" of the two.
The other safety factor for me in holstering my P99 and PPS is the striker indicator on the rear of the slide. I place my thumb over the hole and if the trigger catches on anything the indicator presses into my thumb telling me to stop what I am doing. Pressing the decocker on the P99 while holstering sounds like a more effective option which I had not considered previously.

·
Super Moderator
9,923 Posts
The other safety factor for me in holstering my P99 and PPS is the striker indicator on the rear of the slide. I place my thumb over the hole and if the trigger catches on anything the indicator presses into my thumb telling me to stop what I am doing. Pressing the decocker on the P99 while holstering sounds like a more effective option which I had not considered previously.
Pressing and holding down the decocker is how I holster my P99c AS. That completely immobilizes the firing pin.

·
Registered
772 Posts
Post #52.
P.S. I get the other part on the reasons for decocked mode.
AS and SA are both single action on a gun that is described by Walther as "traditional double action/single action". The P99 is not the only DA/SA gun made where there is or can be considerable take up before the break.

What's the difference between AS and the PPQ trigger? Philosophically, not much. But Walther made the PPQ trigger internal and external mechanism different for a reason, and while they never intended the P99 to be carried cocked, they did intend the PPQ to be carried that way.

Carrying a PPQ as designed may not be comfortable for everyone, but it is legit. Carrying a P99 in AS or SA is just misuse.

·
Registered
772 Posts
You can't be serious.

Once again: This trigger system has only one carry mode, with the trigger fully forward and the striker will not protrude from the end cap.

It helps to read and understand the entire post. Its simply a description of the three trigger modes of the P99 AS trigger system. That's it.....nothing more. NO recommendations here as to which mode someone chooses to carry their P99....its a personal decision. BUT FIRST, one has to understand the system.....and THAT's what this is all about.

You can carry your P99 in any mode you prefer....its YOUR call.
I just reread the OP and this post. You don't seem to understand what you posted, because the above quote is for the DAO P990, not the P99 AS. Or where you trying to purposely confuse the matter?

So what are you talking about? Does the P99 AS have three carry modes or not?

·
Super Moderator
9,923 Posts
Okay, so you sign up for WatherForums and, as a newbie, resurrect a thread that hasn't seen a post in three months, start berating a post dated over two and a half years ago that seemed to imply that single-action mode is a carry option. Then, when it's explained to you, including by the author of the post in question, that there was never an intent on anyone's part here to place the weapon in single-action mode for carry, you continue to harp on the subject and start arguing with those who actually posted in the thread way back when it was active.

Can anybody say, "Troll"? Congratulations. You managed to take a thread that ended midway down Page 4 and in a little over a day get up to Page 7 over a bogus issue.

I'm done here.

·
Premium Member
26,070 Posts
Any number of threads (Sticky and otherwise) are available on this forum that are designed help those who don't understand the ins and outs of the AS trigger configuration. I would urge those who have an interest to read them, and then to either rent or borrow a P99 and give the pistol a try. It's not a difficult concept to grasp, and it's definitely worth your time and attention. Most who try one will buy it ... and wonder why they didn't get one far earlier.

In the meantime, let's see if we can get back on track here.

·
Registered
772 Posts
Okay, so you sign up for WatherForums and, as a newbie ...
I read a thread stickied at the top of the page and responded to it. The OP then misrepresented his own post implying that it doesn't say what it clearly does say. And then several people weigh in with their confusion on the subject.

I posted because the thread is stickied, like it represents something official. It is still stickied, despite being full of clearly dangerous suggestions on how to handle and carry a lethal weapon.

If I'm just not understanding the culture of Waltherforums - where calling out dangerous advice is frowned up - let me know that sensibilities are more important than gun safety.

·
Premium Member
26,070 Posts
Some folks prefer to live on the edge. Some folks are old dogs who can't seem to learn new tricks. Some folks believe that theirs is the only way that works. And then there are those folks who don't have It's-my-way-or-the-highway attitudes can read a Sticky thread and learn something, especially when the something they read doesn't pass the smell test ... or even the common sense test. Bottom line: Opinions are welcome here, even when they don't make a lot of sense ... or at least when they don't make a lot of sense for you. Consider the forum to be a marketplace, where many good are offered for sale. Take your time and select the ones that works best for you, leaving the rest on the shelves for others to prowl through.

Also of interest: Sometimes it's the way you approach a comment or opinion that you disagree with that will get the most productive response.

OK, let's carry on.

·
Registered
86 Posts
OK, quick question here... Does the MR9 have an AS trigger? Did a search but couldn't find any past posts...

·
Registered
86 Posts
P99 Talon grips should fit from the looks of it.... lol

·
Registered
90 Posts
I had not shot my 99c for a while, and recently swapped out the .40 barrel for a Jarvis 9mm barrel (have to use 9mm mags of course) and what a rough trigger I had not paid attention I guess. What is a good price for a trigger job on a 99c? Mine feels like there is sandpaper on the workings.

·
Premium Member
13,494 Posts
Discussion Starter #74 (Edited)
Not sweat there Big Tuna. Lube your trigger.....FPB and trigger bar tab, but more than likely the most improvement will come from putting a drop of lube on the top of the trigger bar where it rubs, or slides back and forth on the trigger bar guide.

Take a look at the picture below. You can push down on the tab (green arrow) and watch the trigger bar move up and down. The trigger bar guide may or may not follow the trigger bar....depends on how you're holding the pistol. Gravity will make the trigger bar guide follow the trigger bar up and down, so you can hold the pistol on its side, press the tab and the trigger bar guide should stay in the UP position. Apply a drop of lube on the trigger bar where that little 'half round' guide rubs on the trigger bar.

You can see the 'slick' area on the trigger bar where the guide rubs (blue oval). THAT area also needs to be SMOOTH....any grit or ruffness or stamping flash will REALLY make the trigger feel like poop.

Let me know the results. :D

Ya know, I didn't even have to get up out of my recliner to take that picture. I simply reached over a few inches, removed the PPQ from the holster, mounted to the table beside my recliner, dropped the mag, racked the slide, ejecting the round from the chamber, removed the slide. Reached a little farther over on the table to grab the camera and started taking pictures....probably took about 20 before I got one I thought I could use. :D Uploaded picture to computer, grabbed picture and edited in the arrows....AND reduced the image size before uploading to Imgur.

Life is GOOD........

61 - 78 of 78 Posts