Walther Forums banner

41 - 60 of 78 Posts

·
Registered
6,756 Posts
It was probably a miscommunication, but I absolutely agree that nobody should be breaking any of the four rules to get a pistol ready to carry.

·
Premium Member
13,498 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
So Handy, after nearly 3 years and 40 post, your the ONLY person that seems to think the intent of the original post is to suggest a particular method of carry. YOUR THE ONLY ONE. Does that tell you anything?

No suggestions here, only clarification as to the three P99 AS trigger modes.

·
Registered
772 Posts
One of the beauties of the P99 over nearly every other striker fired handgun is that in most of its versions it has a decocker and can be carried in DA or SA mode, with the trigger in Anti-Stress or full SA mode. How one carries ANY weapon is entirely up to that person and their responsibility. Heck on 1911s I knew people who carried in Condition 1, Condition 2, and even in Condition 3 and all had reasons and arguments for why their mode was best. There are even still arguments online about whether its advisable to carry a gun with a round chambered or not.
I once ran into a guy online that was carrying his Glock "decocked". Several of us quickly realized that the guy was assembling his pistol with a round in the chamber to get it into that "mode". The outcry against this was immediate and relentless.

Loading a gun, then pulling on the SA trigger (AS mode or not) is also phenomenally dumb, and was not the intention of the gun design and specifically against the instruction manual. In contrast, a 1911 was actually designed to be carried in Condition 1, 2 and 3. Like the P99, it was NOT designed to be carried in Condtion Zero, which is what AS and SA modes are.

Walther built, as they say, a traditional DA/SA gun with an addition safety feature to decrease the chance of NDs. Instead of treating the gun that way, some people have managed to decide that the AS trigger is an invitation to treat the gun as a Choose Your Own Adventure story and violate all sorts of safe gun handling rules to do so. The designer must be furious that people have taken his excellent safety idea and used it as an excuse to handle a gun unsafely.

Again, foolish people will do foolish things and then talk about it, but this website shouldn't legitimize this sort of stupidity.

·
Registered
772 Posts
So Handy, after nearly 3 years and 40 post, your the ONLY person that seems to think the intent of the original post is to suggest a particular method of carry. YOUR THE ONLY ONE. Does that tell you anything?

No suggestions here, only clarification as to the three P99 AS trigger modes.
It tells me that your POV that these are carry modes are pretty widely accepted or that people are tired of talking about it. Even the NJ state police seemed unclear on the concept, so that isn't too surprising.

But the website owners are hanging their butts in the wind by legitimizing it. They aren't anonymous avatars who can say whatever they want without consequence.

·
Registered
2,859 Posts
Thanks for the posts. All I've seen so far are posts that, taken as a whole, kinda remind me of....trolling. If I'm off base - sorry. But I'm calling it as I see it. Have a good day.

·
Premium Member
13,498 Posts
Discussion Starter #46
I don't know what to say, other than your imagination runs wild.

News flash Handy, its not a POV. Rather, for the umpteenth time, its a description of the P99AS trigger system.

Knock yourself out.

·
Registered
6,756 Posts
Even the NJ state police seemed unclear on the concept, so that isn't too surprising.
You mean the department that asked S&W to take the decocker out of the design, so that there was no way to decock the pistol?

The same department that S&W had to make a whole new SW99 owner's manual for, because technically, it wasn't the same pistol anymore?

·
Registered
772 Posts
You mean the department that asked S&W to take the decocker out of the design, so that there was no way to decock the pistol?

The same department that S&W had to make a whole new SW99 owner's manual for, because technically, it wasn't the same pistol anymore?
Yup. They insisted on misusing the design, and S&W rolled over to try and get the contract. It didn't work out too well for S&W.

And I'm sorry for "trolling" what are suggestions for the dangerous misuse of firearms. Our rights are always at risk, but let's not police ourselves at all. Carry a P99 in SA, even though it doesn't have a drop safety tab in the trigger. Carry SAA on half cock while you're at it. Hey, anything goes because each individual gun owner is an amateur firearms engineer, and clearly doesn't need to heed the advice of the manufacturer on proper use of their firearm design.

·
Super Moderator
9,923 Posts
I don't know anyone here who advocates for carrying the P99 AS in single-action mode. Most of us carry it in double-action mode, and a few feel safe carrying it in Anti-Stress mode, but you're going to have to show me where someone here admits to carrying one in single-action mode.

·
Registered
6,756 Posts
And I'm sorry for "trolling" what are suggestions for the dangerous misuse of firearms. Our rights are always at risk, but let's not police ourselves at all.
Post #41

Carry a P99 in SA, even though it doesn't have a drop safety tab in the trigger.
It does have a drop safety. The trigger pivots.

Hey, anything goes because each individual gun owner is an amateur firearms engineer, and clearly doesn't need to heed the advice of the manufacturer on proper use of their firearm design.
I'm not sure I see the need for the sarcasm. It doesn't make for good conversation.

If there was a miscommunication, why not just ask for clarification on what was written on the first post?

·
Registered
772 Posts
I don't know anyone here who advocates for carrying the P99 AS in single-action mode. Most of us carry it in double-action mode, and a few feel safe carrying it in Anti-Stress mode, but you're going to have to show me where someone here admits to carrying one in single-action mode.
I guess it depends how you read this:
PPS1980 said:
One of the beauties of the P99 over nearly every other striker fired handgun is that in most of its versions it has a decocker and can be carried in DA or SA mode, with the trigger in Anti-Stress or full SA mode.
Or where the OP calls SA a carry mode.

They both certainly sound like advocating the legitimacy of SA as a "carry mode".

·
Registered
6,756 Posts
Are you talking about the discontinued split trigger? Or just that the trigger pivots like a Glock or PPQ trigger pivots?
The newer design has a pivoting trigger as well. It is just that the pivot point is up higher, and it is not as easy to notice. On the P99, the entire trigger pivots, and there are two tabs on the back of the trigger that must clear the frame in order for the trigger bar to move rearward. One tab is for the "trigger forward" position, and one is for the "trigger rearward" position.

·
Registered
772 Posts
The newer design has a pivoting trigger as well. It is just that the pivot point is up higher, and it is not as easy to notice. On the P99, the entire trigger pivots, and there are two tabs on the back of the trigger that must clear the frame in order for the trigger bar to move rearward. One tab is for the "trigger forward" position, and one is for the "trigger rearward" position.
Okay. I see that. Thank you for the correction.

·
Registered
846 Posts
So... how carrying the P99 in AS mode is different from carrying the PPQ, other than first pull is longer?

·
Registered
6,756 Posts
So... how carrying the P99 in AS mode is different from carrying the PPQ, other than first pull is longer?
Handy isn't speaking of AS carry, he is speaking of SA carry. The two are different in that in order to get the P99 into SA mode, you have to pull the trigger half way to the rear, which is very dangerous to do.

I posted my thoughts on AS carry in posts #7 and #16 in this thread:

http://www.waltherforums.com/forum/faq-p99/22631-carry.html

A big bonus to carrying the pistol decocked in DA mode, is that on the P99, the decocker acts as a "striker block", so if you keep the decocker pressed into the slide while holstering, even if the trigger is pulled, the striker will not impact the primer on the cartridge. I always preferred to carry my P99 in DA mode because I saw no difference in performance between the two trigger modes, so I went with the "safer" of the two.

41 - 60 of 78 Posts