Walther Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The Walther P99 QA that I have, its trigger is a little too heavy for me and my trigger finger tires out after a few mags. was wondering how I can reduce the weight of the trigger pull.

Please no posts about how dangerous it is to lessen trigger pull, it is a range gun not for self defense.

·
Registered
232 Posts
I droped mine by 1/3 by swapping in a Wolff 4.5 lb Glock striker spring. Dosen't seem to work reliably for everyone. The trigger breaks in over the course of a few hundred rounds. You can also polish the contact surfaces to speed the process up. Finally, if the Glock spring dosen't work, you can jut a couple of coils off your stock striker spring. Get a spare and clip it.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Ok, you aked for it... $5 trigger job...

Make sure it's unloaded and tear the gun down per the owners manual.

Use anythin you can poke with to insert where arrow 1 is pointing. A paperclip works well.

Pull all the guts out.

Support the lug on the striker on the endge of your work surface and hold the spring immediatley bellow the rim of the plastic keepers as indicated by arrow 2.

Push down firmly and remove one plastic keeper than another. Be carefull to not twist the striker as it could cause the lug to slip off the work surface and use your pring to propel small black pieces of plastic into the deepest, darkest, most remote corners of your room.

Reassemble with the new spring and function check the gun buy, while unloaded, cocking, squezing the trigger and llistening for the click. While holding the trigger, recocking, and then releasing and squezing the trigger again. Take it to the range and put about 10 boxes of ammo through it to make sure it still fires reliably. That's about it.

·
Registered
69 Posts
I just clipped the spring last night, the difference is like night and day. Now all I have to do is wait for the weekend so I can try it out...

·
Registered
232 Posts
Thank you. I picked up photography as a hobby so I could shoot stuff without getting myself in trouble... lol

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Just put the glock 4 lb spring on, and wow the trigger is clean and smooth and excellent. BUT it will not ignite military primers. With regular primers I get about 10-20% dented primers with no ignition.

So I got two questions.

How many coils are you guys cutting off your factory springs?

Anyone know the weight of the regular factory springs? If it is more than 5.5lb, I'm considering putting a regular glock spring in.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Mabey I just lucked out on mine? I don't know. I've had one fail to fire but it was a WWB that we tried restriking with a stock Glock with no luck. Even after the P99 the dent in the primer was deep. I've got abou 2000 rounds since I swaped springs.

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
Before you do anything, you may want to read this post by Sniper a while back, it is food for thought:

sniper350

Group: Members

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
[Has anyone tried this mod on a DAO P990 ?
I am thinking of getting a P990 since it is cheaper than a regular or QA P99.
Any comments to this newbie would be welcome. Thanks. ]

Well at the extreme risk of sounding like an Old hen or a Kill joy or Stuck in the Mud......I will offer you some comments on modifying the trigger group of your Gun.

If you are going to use your handgun "strictly" for pleasure shooting....and puching holes in paper at your local Gun Range then you need not read any further. Modify your gun to your hearts content.

But if you are going to use your handgun for home defense or personal defense........then there are some important issues you should be aware of. Discounting the obvious safety issues of maybe having a FTF in a life and death struggle.There was an in depth discussion of these issues on the S&W forum not to long ago where members described their "real life" incounters with the Law and Civil courts.......regarding the use of deadly force for self defense. So these points are not " could happen or might happen...........but they are actually what did happen and can happen again.

Shoot someone with a gun......and that gun will be taken into evidence( that's a given). That gun will be examined closely by the State and and any attorney hired by (family of) the person shot. When they find that the gun was modified to shoot faster or easier..........you the "shooter" will be made out to be a cold blooded killer...just looking to kill someone. Your image will be one of a person that took a deadly weapon.......and just had to go out and make changes so it would be easier to kill .

Of course, this is all B.S. but they ( attorneys) will march the company rep.s that built the gun ...into court and ask them if this modification is recommended or safe. You will not find one company that will support your modifications--period! Even S&W when they receive a gun for warranty work will remove "any" modifcations to the springs to avoid liability in a court action......and they tell you that before you send them the gun.

So there you sit in court labeled a killer.......building guns to kill faster and easier........do you get the picture. Of course your attorney will do what he can to put you in a better light...but juries nowadays are mostly anti-gun. The guy on the S&W forum was a law enforcement officer and he was found guilty as charged in a "civil Court Action" where the proof can be much less than in a criminal action. Luckily for him he had a friendly judge that fixed his sentence to a fine of $100, which he paid right away. Will you be as lucky ?

The cost of a trial defending yourself is extremely high ( and can destroy your family's finances)..........what you don't need is an attorney going after you in Civil court "loaded" with the facts that you modified a gun so it would be easier to Use ( kill).

I have seen it too many times..........juries are willing to bend over backwards for the criminals or attcakers if they get hurt by the average citizen........why this is so baffles me to this day........but it doesn't change the facts.

I would never use a modified gun for CCW or home defense, where I am altering the mechanical nature of the weapon and is not 100% supported by factory gunsmiths !!

Off my soap box now <smile>

JF

·
Registered
20 Posts
The stock spring you may want to start at removing 4 coils. I believe the QA spring is 6.5 to 6.75lbs. The stock 5.5 lbs Glock spring seems just about right for a lighter pull and keep the reliability factor high.

Bill

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
Oops!  Sorry!!

My internet connection is too slow, so sometimes I don't read all like I should. Wish I could be like you Hi-Speed net guys.

·
Registered
35 Posts
ok, sorry for bringing up an old thread again, but anyone know which glock spring will fit? are they all the same? and where can i get one?

·
Registered
44 Posts
I have been searching for info on lightening the spring on my walther p99QA, so this is a bump anynew info on this. Is the glock 4.5 lb spring still the way to go?

Anyone else have any new info on this?

·
Registered
252 Posts
i had a glock and i got misfires within the first 30 rounds. tried 3 times to fire and no go. gave it to my friend with a glock glock 19 and it fired first try. definitely a light primer strike. i ended up buying a wolf extra power spring but never fired it and swapped the spring for the stock when i got my as. my qa is my home defense so i wanted reliability foremost.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts