Walther Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey, Im new to this forum, but I've been reading it for a couple weeks. Im going to get my first handgun when I turn 21 (june 13), and Im trying to decide between either the Walther P99 AS 9mm or a sigpro sp2022 9mm.

They have really similar features(At least to me) 15 rounds, double action for the first shot, then sa. Changable backstraps. The sig is 530ish and the p99 is close to 600.

Does anyone have any experience with the sig sp2022? I know this is a walther forum, but I also know some of you guys have shot lots of guns.

Thanks for taking the time to read this.

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
SIG makes a good handgun in general, but the SIGPro line has been less enthusiastically recommended in the discussions I've heard. Can't say that I've handled one (SIGPro Series) myself, just the metal sigs, which I certainly would recommend. You might want to try out the sig forum for more detailed info.

BTW, I'm very happy with my P99 in .40.

Best of luck, MLB

·
Registered
60 Posts
I have a P99 AS and my son had a SP2009 (prior 9mm SigPro model with proprietary rail system). Both are well made guns and were equally reliable (zero problems) and accurate. The P99 feels more balanced to me, with the SigPro being top-heavy and having a surprisingly short grip frame supplemented by a very large finger-rest on the magazine.

I still have my P99. My son traded his SigPro for a S&W M&P which really surprised and impressed me.

·
Premium Member
4,589 Posts
yea I have yet to hear a bad thing about the new M&P's.... but they only make em in .40S&W right now, correct

·
Registered
4,345 Posts
I was interested in the Sig Pro for a while, until I finally got to hold one. I do not think the grip is as comfortable as the P99.

·
Registered
60 Posts
[b said:
Quote[/b] (uncut @ June 05 2006,3:55)]yea I have yet to hear a bad thing about the new M&P's.... but they only make em in .40S&W right now, correct
M&Ps are now available in 9mm. I was surprised that my son wanted one in .40 until I shot it; it feels like shooting a 9mm rather than a .40.

·
Premium Member
4,589 Posts
hummmm...
sweet... more money to spend

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
I think the M&P will spell the demise of the SW99.

·
Premium Member
4,589 Posts
It already has.... all there was listed not too long ago was the SW990L..... the DAO version of the SW99

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
[b said:
Quote[/b] (ShipWreck @ June 06 2006,3:27)]I was interested in the Sig Pro for a while, until I finally got to hold one. I do not think the grip is as comfortable as the P99.
You got that right. The P99 arrived at the shop today, so i got to compare the two for a while. The P99 seemed to be made to fit my hand, i didn't even have to change the backstaps, the stock one fit awesome. The sigpro wasn't that great of a grip for me, and the optional grip it came with was even bigger, so no go on the sig.

Plus the P99 looks better, and seemed a tad lighter than the sigpro.

Im gettting my 9mm P99 AS in black on the 13(my 21st bday)! Thanks for all the good information guys!

·
Registered
70 Posts
Let me be the first to congratulate you on your decision to go with the P99.  I am not yet 21, however my father agreed as a birthday present for my 20th birthday to buy me a P99 if I paid for it.  I have a desert sand P99 QA in .40S&W and it is my first handgun.  I have fired several handguns, rugers, glocks, berettas.....but I have NEVER fired a handgun that was as amazing as my P99.  Several people I know have bought P99's since me, all because I have let them fire mine and they love it. The grip on it is just....one of a kind.  No handgun I have ever seen has fit my hand as comfortably as the P99.  That was the one reason I wanted it.  I have never been disappointed with it, and I am confident that you will not be either.  It is truly an amazing weapon. I live in North Dakota and have a concealed weapons permit. By North Dakota law it is legal for me to carry a handgun being under 21. I carry it everywhere that I can, and if I cannot carry it somewhere, I leave it in the vehicle. It is a truly awesome work of craftsmanship. It is easy to strip, easy to clean, and very reliable. I've never had a misfire, or failure to feed. The ONLY time it has had a failure to eject was when I pulled the empty magazine out and fired the last shot without a magazine in it, and that was only once.

Good luck, congratulations, and stay safe with it.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well I got my P99 yesterday, and its an 2004 I believe(it has fae in on the code). Now I just need to clean/lube it then go shooting

edit... I think its an 06 after all. The fae was part of the serial number, but before that next the the eagle over n there are two letters, AG. A=0, G=6 right?

·
Registered
29 Posts
Congrats on the P99.  I have a P99c AS and love it.  The only problem I ever had was due to cheap ammo (russian brown bear steel case).   Treat you P99 well and it will reciprocate.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts