Walther Forums banner

Walther P99 or S&W99 - What would you rather have?

• What would you rather have?

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Walther P99

Votes: 3 75.0%
  • S&W99

Votes: 1 25.0%
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
haha this is Walther forums after all...But the S&W99 is pretty damn cool looking too, and i'm sure it's just as dependable as the P99, despite what anyone says. I think the walther is just more of a collectors piece.

·
Registered
328 Posts
Anyone surprised by the vote results ?

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Once upon a time, I liked the SW99 but now, I'm stickin with Walther! Its weird i the N-64 Game, The World is Not Enough, you get a SW99! and your Bond! I think they did it because of the copyrite.

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
Well it has been an interesting thread but not at all surprising as to the results...I don't know why S&W just doesn't drop their 99 and focus on distributing the P99. It would knock down Earl's prices and give Glock a run for their $$$...Umarex is big enough to handle the challenge.

·
Registered
28 Posts
[b said:
Quote[/b] (Stoping Power @ Aug. 02 2005,18:03)]SW 99 IS DA OR ANTI STRESS TRIGGER?
It has both models. From what I found from SW service representative, the only difference is the P99 and the SW99 cannot use the same magazine at least in the case of the compacts.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I have a P99 and a SW99c and there is no difference in the mags.  I can use my P99 mags in my SW99c, they just stick out further.  For my P99 I own 7 mags and they are a mixture of S&W and Walther and all made by MecGar. They all work the same and I have never had a problem them.
There is very little difference in either the Smith or the Walther except for looks. The Smith has the black stainless steel slide and the Walther has the tenifer finish.  They both came with terrible triggers (AS) until they were broke in and the guts of the action look the same after they are broken down.  In real life, I enjoy shooting the P99 as it handles better with the longer grip, but I like carrying the compact as it hides better.  It is sixes to me.

·
Registered
28 Posts
[b said:
Quote[/b] (LongRange @ Aug. 03 2005,00:32)]I have a P99 and a SW99c and there is no difference in the mags.  I can use my P99 mags in my SW99c, they just stick out further.  For my P99 I own 7 mags and they are a mixture of S&W and Walther and all made by MecGar.  They all work the same and I have never had a problem them.  
There is very little difference in either the Smith or the Walther except for looks.  The Smith has the black stainless steel slide and the Walther has the tenifer finish.  They both came with terrible triggers (AS) until they were broke in and the guts of the action look the same after they are broken down.  In real life, I enjoy shooting the P99 as it handles better with the longer grip, but I like carrying the compact as it hides better.  It is sixes to me.
Thanks for your feedback. I guess you can use SW99C magazines on P99C. Oh well... I wonder why the SW service representative said that they are not compatible?

·
Registered
821 Posts
[b said:
Quote[/b] (LongRange @ Aug. 03 2005,00:32)]They both came with terrible triggers (AS) until they were broke in ....
Alas, the P99 and apparently SW99 have sucky triggers until they've worn on themselves for 500 to 1000 rounds.  I just recently noticed how my trigger has gone from gritty to super smooth!!!  

Just gotta give it time.  Out of all my guns, I'm really liking the P99 trigger more and more.

-stunks

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
Probably some guy who wanted the same gun for less money.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I have 2 p99 and a sw99c

I bought the S&W before walther offered a compact 99 but I do prefer the look on the SW compact over Walthers compact

It is totally superfiscial both shoot wonderfully fit and finish on the Walther are far superior

I like the slimmer grip grooves on the slide and the groves on the front of the slide on the S&W I think it is very functional in stress situations ect plus it looks better to me than the fat grooves on the walther compact slide

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
The new wider serrations on the P99 make it look a bit like a SIG takeoff IMO.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I just wish smith & wesson wasn't rolled into the slide.it just seems like they are hitchin' a ride on a fine pistol they did not design.the walther version is just a really nice piece of engineering.comparing it to the SW version is like comparing a kimber with a jennings.sorry but you know its true.

·
Registered
821 Posts
You do realize that those are just the importer markings, right?

There's no need to discount your P99 or Smith and Wesson for that matter, just cause their name is on your slide. It is still a great piece of german engineering!

-stunks

1 - 20 of 41 Posts