Walther Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I shot in an IDPA match for the 1st time this weekend. I used my Walther P99 9mm. I did ok for my 1st time. I had always thought I was a terrible shot but I knocked down each of the steel targets with one shot and hit the paper targets with pretty good accuracy. I was slow but I was concentrating on safety it being my 1st time and all. It was a real confidence booster. Most of the other shooters had .45's and maybe .40's. Does anyone else use their P99 9mm in that type of shooting? Let me add- It was a blast! I can't wait to do it again.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I've thought about doing IDPA. Right now I'm getting my stuff together for the USS-sanctioned Olympic 10 Meter events near me. Unfortunately, I won't be using a Walther competition air pistol yet. It isn't the same style as IDPA but it is pretty cool in that you can watch the Olympics and say "Hey, I do that!". (Although not as well)

What state are you in?

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm in Kentucky. Shot out at Knob Creek. That was the 1st time doing any type of shooting like that. It was definitely a rush. I think I would like to do that type of shooting with my AR-15 but am not sure what is offered. Where are you from? I'll check out the Olympic events you mentioned.

·
Registered
411 Posts
I've used my P99 9mm in IDPA, took 4th in SSP and 9th Overall.
The P99 is up to the task if the shooter is.

·
Registered
60 Posts
If you really want some speed in IDPA change out the front sight on the P99. Get one of the Walther red fiber optic front sights. You have to buy the front and back fiber optic sights. But man that front sight will jump out at you. So you pick it up faster than the standard front sight but it's small so you can still fine tune those longer small steel shots.
I shoot alot of IDPA with my P99. I shoot it better than my G19 and even better than with my G17.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hello, I would love to try the sport out. Not sure what we have in Canada. My p99 is a 9mm as well. I think after-market sights would be a good asset.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Hi, guys:

I shoot a long of IPSC and lately getting more hook up with the production class, and now that I have my new p99 QA, I should enjoy this sport a lot more. We are trying to start an IDPA club here in Panama, so I keep you guys post it.

My next move is to buy trijicon sights for this excellent pistol.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I shoot several guns in IDPA, but when I want to shoot my best, I shoot my walther !

It's short crisp trigger makes it a pleasure to shoot "at speed".

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I had originally thought I was shooting IDPA when I was actually shooting IPSC. I'm still learning. Well anyway the last time I shot in an IPSC match a couple weeks ago I used my CZ PCR. I think I did better before with my Walther. I have noticed that I am about the only person that shoots 9mm in the competition. .45 1911s are very popular.

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
[b said:
Quote[/b] ][I'm in Kentucky. Shot out at Knob Creek. That was the 1st time doing any type of shooting like that.]
I was going thru some old posts and came across yours. I shoot at Knob Creek with SASS and recently started USPSA at BlueGrass indoor range and I use only P99's...are you still around, if so give me a response...

·
Registered
160 Posts
I have shot a few IDPA matches with my AS. After the first shot I only let off the trigger just enough to reset the SA pull. Those follow up shots are a lot easier in this way.

Dynamic shooting is much better for defensive practice and fun than the good ol' range is.

·
Registered
160 Posts
There is one other guy in my club that has a P99 .40 but he had a number of problems with it and I am not sure if he still has it cause he bought an STI.

Mine on the other hand has been flawless. One SO I had was confused as to where the mag release and decocker are located lol!

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
[b said:
Quote[/b] (Jake Starr @ Oct. 21 2005,15:35)][QUOTEI'm in Kentucky. Shot out at Knob Creek. That was the 1st time doing any type of shooting like that.]
I was going thru some old posts and came across yours. I shoot at Knob Creek with SASS and recently started USPSA at BlueGrass indoor range and I use only P99's...are you still around, if so give me a response...[/QUOTE]
I'm still here. It's been a while though. What's SASS? I'd never heard of that out at Knob Creek. Is it cowboy shooting? Is the USPSA the Tuesday night competition they have at Bluegrass. I think I might try that here in the colder months. I've been doing less shooting with the Walther and more with a fews CZs that I have bought.

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
Yes SASS is Cowboy shooting and we have a big one coming up the first weekend in Nov. a two day shoot...

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Is the USPSA the Tuesday night competition they have at Bluegrass
Yes again. We start at 6:00pm but we shoot for about 90min and people drift in and out all the time so whenever you come you can shoot...

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
$10.00  

PS. If you look me up, Jake Starr is my Cowboy name, The Godfather is what they call me at USPSA and my real name well I go by the initials, KBP...so....look me up.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts