Walther Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
560 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I've owned my P99 AS 9mm for just over a week and have fired a total of 350-rounds down range and can finally arrive at an informed opinion. My first outing, on New Years Day, consisted of 200 trouble-free rounds of WWB. Today, I shot another 150-rounds of WWB without a single issue. This pistol is simply accurate and reliable.

To test how accurate and user friendly the pistol was, I allowed my ten year old son to shoot the pistol. Prior to him shooting the Walther, he has shot Sigs, M&Ps and too many Glocks to mention. His first shots were dead center on an IDPA target, recording all -0's for his first five rounds. He never once flinched during an estimated 70-rounds total through the pistol. He couldn't quit shooting the pistol and commented that it was his favorite of all my collection.

I decided to see just how well the pistol fit me, firing two magazines of 15-rounds as fast as I could draw a sight picture and recorded 30-rounds in the center of an IDPA target far quicker than I can with my Glock 34.

I simply love this pistol and am considering the P99 in .40 S&W. But then again, there's that new PPS. I cannot tell you all how much I enjoy this P99 AS. It is a wonderful, well built, and accurate piece of machinery. Why I waited so long to pick one up I'll never know, they simply shoot circles around my other pistols and are very pleasing to shoot.

·
Registered
335 Posts
gtmtnbiker98 I simply love this pistol and am considering the P99 in .40 S&W. But then again said:
gtmnbiker98:

Glad you like your P99.. My P99c/AS is without a doubt the finest pistol as an all around package I've ever owned. It is the most accurate for sure. I've had 100% reliability and I love the "AS" trigger/striker.

I recently purchased a new PPS. Here's my comparison of the P99c/AS and the PPS in just the short time I've had both.

The P99c/AS has the best trigger, best mag release,highest capacity, and I prefer a DA/SA action over any other.

The PPS has the best sights (larger), is much thinner and conceals iwb much easier.

I'm keeping both, but truthfully as of this minute I'll be cc the PPS most of the time, probably with the smallest magazine. (6+1). Ease of concealment is paramount to me and there simply is no comparison between the two in this area. A larger person (I'm a runt 5'9"/155lbs) might get along just as well with the thicker P99c/AS but I cannot.

I'm keeping all three of my Walthers.. I've never had a bad Walther, and I cannot say that about some other brands I've had over the years...

I have some scratches on the slide of my P99c/AS so I might take this time to send it off and get it hard chromed.. Of course then I've got to have my P99/AS hard chromed, then of course the PPS and... Wait we're talking too much money here right after the Holidays.. Yikes.:eek:

Best Wishes,

J.Pomeroy

·
Registered
560 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Wow, that PPS is slim. One quick question for you Walther veterans, what do you folks use to remove the brass nicks next to the extractor? I noticed that I'm accumulating quite a few marks on teh slide, right next to the extractor, from the ejecting brass.

I usually use Break Free CLP for all my cleaning needs but it isn't budging the brass residue.

·
Registered
560 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks, Thorn. Nice to see that you like Walthers and Glocks, read your reply over on Glocktalk regarding the M&Ps.

·
Registered
2,969 Posts
Don't forget the German manufactured SIG-Sauer's.

·
Registered
4,343 Posts
Be aware - if U shoot aluminum cased ammo like I do - the Hopes will NOT take those marks off. I tried several things and were stuck with them on my USPc.

But, now that the gun is hard chromed no more marks get left - same with my P99s which are hard chromed...

·
Registered
2,969 Posts
Hoppes #9 :)

Just a little on a Qtip.. i try to avoid getting it on the polymer. Also good at cleaning up the breech face.

thorn
I've never had any trouble with any Hoppes formulation on a Walther or HK polymer frame.

Have you had problems with discoloration or staining?

·
Registered
8 Posts
My P99c AS is a wonderful little gem, and I plan on getting the P99 AS soon as well, I think it will compliment my Berretta 92FS inox very well.
I hadn't thought much about the PPS yet, but it looks like a nice weapon. It just may go on my menu of toys once its been deemed bug free.

A quick question....What is the 9mm round of choice here on the forum?

·
Registered
361 Posts
I have a P99 40 AS and I really like the way it fires. It kicks too much for my wife and she just likes her PPK/s ... I have held a black PPS, but I just couldn't justify the cost right now. It is on my list to buy, but right now, I am still learning my P99. I haven't received my CCL yet, so I haven't tried to carry, but I can see the benefit to the PPS. I could see it becoming an easy carried gun in my near future.

·
Registered
536 Posts
I've never had any trouble with any Hoppes formulation on a Walther or HK polymer frame.

Have you had problems with discoloration or staining?
Oh, i should have included that info: no, i haven't had a problem. I have read that Hoppes can discolor a PPK plastic grip, but obviously the P99 is a different material. Call it a completely unfounded paranoia... one of those "won't hurt, but i dont do it anyway" things. ;)

-edit-

My fav 9mm practice round is Blazer Brass, and SD is Speer GoldDot 124gr JHP. Currently i have the +P, but i'm not sure i like the higher recoil over the standard pressure round yet...

thorn

·
Registered
2,969 Posts
I agree, it's best to remove plastic grips from any other Walther while cleaning, but i can assure you, Hoppes is safe on any polymer framed Walther.

Hoppes will eventually eat up a plastic or resin-based grip like those on the P.38

·
Registered
560 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I'll use the Hoppes but I have gotten away from solvents in favor of Break Free CLP in recent months. No particular reason, but the fumes are next to nothing as compared to good ole' Hoppes.

As for ammo, I use WWB for practice and will use Federal 124gr HyrdraShok in the +P+ variety for SD.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts