que Qa or A/S

i read about a few problems in the Q/A trigger

i need to know wich one is better

thanks

Jair

·
Registered
4,339 Posts
I wanted one with the SA/DA trigger, and I rented one a week or two ago at the range. I didn't really like the way the trigger worked. I think the QA trigger would be a better deal - then it would shoot similiar to a Glock...

·
Registered
539 Posts
Jair, pretty loaded question for a first post!

It all depends on preferences, experience and purpose. Personally I like the heavy DA pull on a decocked AS model with light SA follow ups. I like the long first SA shot as well and how a short rack of the slide moves it from DA to SA mode.

Then again there's a lot to be said for the consistent trigger pull of the QA model.

Take some time to read older threads on this board, it'll probably help you form your own opinion of what suits you better. In general, when you ask 'which is better' it's helpful if you provide some more information about yourself and what you're getting the gun for.

·
Registered
31 Posts
AS is probably better for a person new to firearms, if they are planning to carry it. Otherwise, QA all the way. The DA pull on the P99 is absolutely terrible.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
well im not new to guns

i owned a Taurus pt 92 9mm
and baby eagle 941f

what about the QA issues

trigger not reset always

·
Registered
310 Posts
Personally, I don't like the idea of a loaded (round chambered) gun that may not go "BANG" when I pull the trigger. That can happen with the QA if you use the decocker. You can have a very expensive brick on your hands until you recock it. Likely to happen? No...but I still don't like it.

Do a search in the forum -- there have been several threads lately about QA's breaking (a lot in .40, it seems). I don't know if there's a trend or not...but it's something to be aware of.

For the reasons above, I went with the AS trigger. The DA/SA difference doesn't bother me (I have the same thing with the Sig and Ruger...both of which I love) and it avoids the possibility of having a decocked weapon at the wrong time.

·
Registered
310 Posts
Well, after one range session and 250 rounds with my P99 AS, I can say that I'm completely happy with the trigger system. Yes, the first pull is longer but nothing compared to my Ruger. To be honest, I don't even notice the "AS" reset for the first SA pull. It's much more noticeable when I'm dry firing than on the range.

I'm standing by my decision on the AS. YMMV.
Jim

·
Premium Member
304 Posts
I think it's a little bit of exaggeration to say there have been "a lot" reports of the QA's breaking / not resetting. I believe there have been several reports on this forum and that's a drop in the bucket compared to the number of QA's out there.

For what it's worth, I have a QA with nearly 8,000 rounds through it without a problem.  While I understand Jim's concern about pulling the trigger and having nothing happen, any gun can have a situation where it breaks and the shooter is left holding a hobby hammer. I had a revolver. It was a S&W 686+ Mountain Gun. Revolvers are supposedly the most reliable form of handgun, but the hammer disconnected from the spring and it was literally useless.  Does that mean revolvers are not reliable?  No.  It was just a gun that broke.

There are some who like the "second strike capability" of the DA/SA (AS) trigger. I think second strike is over-rated.  If a round does not go off, I'm doing the tap and rack drill and getting rid of the round.  I'm not going to waste my time with a second trigger pull on what is likely to be a dud.

That said, what's best for you largely depends on personal preferences.  I learned to shoot on DA/SA pistols and I don't like them.  I prefer SA pistols and pistols that offer consistent trigger pulls like the Glock and Walther P99 QA.  -Others here really like DA/SA pistols.  It's not a matter of one being definitively better.

Try to visit a range and rent a P99.  There's no substitute for personal experience.

·
Registered
310 Posts
[b said:
Quote[/b] (BreakerDave @ Mar. 07 2005,2:31)]I think it's a little bit of exaggeration to say there have been "a lot" reports of the QA's breaking / not resetting. I believe there have been several reports on this forum and that's a drop in the bucket compared to the number of QA's out there.

Try to visit a range and rent a P99.  There's no substitute for personal experience.
I agree with Dave -- the best thing to do is try them out and see which one you prefer. There's a reason they make different kinds -- for different people!

I wasn't trying to imply that there's an epidemic of problems with the QA...just that there have been several threads on here about problems. (That's why I didn't say "a lot" -- that's such a relative term!) It's the same thing in the Ruger world with the new P345 -- all of the Ruger users come together in one place and a handfull of problems can seem disproportionately large. Like I said initially, I don't know if it's a trend or not -- just something to be aware of. For every problem gun, there are probably 100 that function flawlessly.

Jim

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
I had 3 P99's with the AS trigger. Got rid of them and now have 4 P99's with the QA trigger. Not one problem.

·
Registered
471 Posts
I have 3 P99's, all with the AS trigger system. I have no problems with the longer DA pull. It suits my needs perfectly. I sometimes carry it in my pocket. or in a string holster and I would not feel comfortable with a shorter first shot trigger pull...

Each to his own for his/her reasons. I'm glad we have a choice...

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
[b said:
Quote[/b] (P88 @ Mar. 07 2005,6:12)]I had 3 P99's with the AS trigger.  Got rid of them and now have 4 P99's with the QA trigger.  Not one problem.
Im curious

why you get rid your 3 AS?

and why you buy 4?

your a walther fan dont you!!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts