Walther Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Finally! I was able to get her out and shoot her for the first time. I also took a first time shooter, my girlfriend, to the range. First and foremost let me say that when compared to her, I was all over the target. She got so many bullsies that I was like "####!".

Another good one of the books is that when I arrived, two of the range officers were looking at a 2005 Walther catalog, admiring the P99 itself! Once I put my case with my P99 down, I asked them what handgun they were fascinating over. They said "the P99!. That thing has such a nice grip and look". I proceeded to open at which I noticed both their jaws dropping. One had to leave because he had to go on break, but the other stayed. I broke her in first by shooting 12 rounds. Fantastic, but I need lots of practice. .40 is powerful and does recoil a little more than the 9mm. Nevertheless I think we more practice and training I will be able to narrow the span more.

Once I was done, I offered one of the range officers to take a couple shots. He was so thankful you would never believe. He even loaded his own ammo(which he picked up from the Custom agents traning earlier in the morning). He shot 4 rounds and put it down. His face was priceless and he told me that one day he will be able to pick one up. It made me smile to have made someones day.

Moving right along. I did noticed one thing. Where the rocoil spring has the guide(in the back position locked into place where you can see down to the magazine) meet, I noticed that after putting 200 rounds through the gun, it was looser. Meaning I hold it in my hand and shake it and feel a slight loosness at the front of the pistol. Is this normal?

All in all it was great to shot the .40. It is very responsive and is just an incredily beautiful piece of machinery.

·
Registered
333 Posts
Mikep99,

"Finally! I was able to get her out and shoot her for the first time. I also took a first time shooter, my girlfriend, to the range. First and foremost let me say that when compared to her, I was all over the target. She got so many bullsies that I was like "####!". "

Don't worry Mike, this is typical for first time women shooters to do very well. They have not developed "bad" habits yet---they don't know when to expect the trigger to make the gun go bang---so they are less likely to "jerk" the trigger. This makes them pretty accurate shooters--- as long as they know how to align the sights.

"Moving right along. I did noticed one thing. Where the rocoil spring has the guide(in the back position locked into place where you can see down to the magazine) meet, I noticed that after putting 200 rounds through the gun, it was looser. Meaning I hold it in my hand and shake it and feel a slight loosness at the front of the pistol. Is this normal?"

If I understand correctly---you had the gun's slide locked back. If this was the case---Yes the barrel will be loose as the Walther uses a "drop down barrel" method to load the next round. Since the rear of the barrel drops down during cycling---it has to have some play and wiggle. Hope this answers your question.

Enjoy the gun.......it is a very accurate shooter.

JF

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No the slide was in the correct position, it was not pulled back and locked exposing the barrel.

What I was talking about was that the gun when closed will slightly move at the front, you know a little noise, kinda like the noise you hear in the movies of guys just moving there hun in their hand. I was just curious to know if that is normal once they have been shot? Becuase before it was shot(even though it is shot at the factory) it was really tight. Now that I have shot it, its a little bit more loose

·
Registered
9 Posts
My 04 P99 QA has a bit of a lose slide to frame fit. If I shake the gun side to side the slide has some slop in it. I say its normal, and don't work about it. It likly increases reliability to be a bit lose.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yea someone at another forum told be it is normal for handguns to have some sort of play in them.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts