Walther Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4,339 Posts
Yes, stick w/ the factory mags made by MecGar - all other mags suck for this gun.

Unfortunately, since Mecgar makes the factory mags, I guess they are not allowed to sell their own version as an after market mag.

So, buy the S&W SW99 mags or the P99 mags.

·
Registered
130 Posts
THE worst pistol magazine for the P99 [assuming that USA brand isn't making them]. Run away from them as fast as possible.

Stick with the S&W magazines for an inexpensive price.

I was stuck with two ProMag magazines when I bought a SiG P229. Every magazine full failed to feed at least twice per use. I use them now ONLY for training new auto pistols shooters in clearing malfunctions. They are ok for that purpose.

·
Registered
333 Posts
Any good? Should I buy or run away? :confused:

Thanks.

FWIW:

I have never had good service out of ProMags.. Every few years I go brain dead and try them again, but never with 100% success.. In their defense they are very good about replacing defective magazines, but replacing a defective magazine with another defective magazine isn't that great a deal.

CDNN sells factory original (MecGar mfg) 15rd Walther Mags quite reasonably, but even better sells the 16rd mags marked SW99 for even less.. I plan to buy two new SW99 mags from them and download to 15 just because.

You might want to check them out.

You are the owner of a high quality, relatively expensive pistol.. Why save a few bucks on an inferior aftermarket magazine? I wouldn't use an aftermarket mag in any self defense firearm I use.

Walthers are historically extremely reliable. That's one reason I have four of them. I don't want to waste that reliability to save a few bucks.

Best Wishes,

J. Pomeroy

·
Registered
256 Posts
Do NOT recommend Promags

I have been involved in shooting sports approx 40 years, over 10 years as a firearms instructor. Have purchased several Promags and found them to be of poor design, substandard material and poorly fabricated. I would now not even insert them into a quality pistol like a P99.

On the other hand, the original Walther mags made by MecGars are some of the best mags in the world, with those available, no reason to even consider stuffing a substandard product into the mag well of such a fine firearm. I stay away from Promags and I also stay away from any firearms dealer that sells them, as I believe it does not speak well for a dealer.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Run away! Run away! And then check Ebay.

I have a ProMag magazine for my SIG and whenever I use it the slide fails to lock open after the last shot empties the magazine. Correction- I had such a magazine. I chucked it in the recycle bin.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts