Walther Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Dear all,

I am currently mapping the P5 magazine variations. I went through all my P5 magazines (about 100) and I have identified the following variations.

Could you please help my out to complement this study, by:

(1) checking your magazines and indicating whether you have variations that I did not identify yet.
(2) I know that there are magazines with 7.65 caliber markings. Could you please indicate to what variation these belong?
(3) I have only observed one magazine of variation A. This one came with an early P5 cutaway. Could you please indicate if you have a non-cutaway magazine of this variation in your collection.
(4) It appears that phosphated magazines where only issued to Dutch Police contract pistols. Can you please verify this with your pistols.

Thank you for your help :)

Variation A: P5 9mm marking, blued finish, no protrusion for magazine thumb release
Variation B: P5 - 9 x 19 marking, blued finish, no protrusion for magazine thumb release
Variation C: P5 - 9 x 19 marking, blued finish, protrusion for magazine thumb release (transitional variation)
Variation D: No model indication, 9 x 19 marking, blued finish, protrusion for magazine thumb release
Variation E: P5 - 9 x 19 marking, phosphate finish, no protrusion for magazine thumb release (Dutch police)
Variation F: No model indication, 9 x 19 marking, phosphate finish, protrusion for magazine thumb release (Dutch police)

So far it appears that the introduction of the P5 compact with the magazine thumb release, resulted in the phasing out of the variations A,B,C,E (marked with P5 9x19)to be replaced by magazines of the D and F type (no model indication) as these could be used in any Walther P5 or Walther P5 compact variation.
One magazine in my collection is marked with the model indication P5 while having a protrusion for the magazine thumb release (variation C), I suspect that this is a transitional variation.

·
Premium Member
1,833 Posts
I have a CAT1062 marked P5 made in 1984 with a non-serialized 9mm barrel. I bought it used in the US. It has a SimpsonLtd import mark.

The magazine it came with doesn't appear to match any of your Variations. It looks like it might be a transition between C and D.

It's definitely a brightly polished blue and lacks the thumb release cutout but it lacks a model designation. The markings are :

9mm x 19
WALTHER banner
7,65 PARA

Attachments

1 - 4 of 4 Posts