Walther Forums banner

1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
And finally, here is my long barrel P5, serial number in the 20s.
Except for a few scratches, probably coming from improper storage, it’s in very good shape.

I will find some time and take better pictures with my DSLR, as these do not do it justice.

I hope you like it.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
13,891 Posts
DUA, tried to send you a PM and there's a little problem. I got this message: DeutschlandUberAlles has exceeded their stored private messages quota and cannot accept further messages until they clear some space.

OOPS.

·
Registered
2,792 Posts
I find it odd that many don't bat an eye when a NIB P5C or L102A1 pulls $2.5k to $3.k, when the total production is ~ 6,500 P5Cs and ~ 3,000 L102A1s. These are one in 10k firearms.

Hard to imagine a limited production (~68 Walther completed guns) P5 Lang NOT being able to find a "motivated" buyer.

FWIW, I've searched all things P5 Lang for months (100s of hours of international online text and images since June '18). The breakdown of located Langs (online searchable).......

Germany 3; Ser#s 22, 70, 76 (I MIGHT have located a 4th Lang in Germany)

Canada 2; Ser#s 75, 88

US 2; Ser#s 25, 40

Malta 1; Ser# 2*

·
Registered
2,829 Posts
Rarity doesn't always translate into expensive. I've got a couple guns with less than 10,000 made of each. One I paid $200 for, the other one $400.

·
Registered
2,792 Posts
Rarity doesn't always translate into expensive. I've got a couple guns with less than 10,000 made of each. One I paid $200 for, the other one $400.

Agree.

Exactly why I noted the values of the P5Cs.

I know I'm not the only one who considers owning a P5 Lang more desirable then a owning a P5C (LifeSizePotato is another).

Hard to imagine LSP and I are the only two in the US.

·
Registered
3,323 Posts
True, although not everybody is willing or able to shell out $5,000+ for a pistol just because it is rare. I would image that, for most people, spending $2k for a P5c is a major decision and investment. Would a $7k P5 Lang be that much more enjoyable than shooting a standard P5 or P5c, or is it the exclusivity of ownership that justifies the expense? Obviously, that is an individual decision. Would I like to own a Lang? You betcha, but I have other priorities at that price point (e.g., a nice Korth .357, certain SIG P210, etc.).

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
For me to make the decision to buy a gun, it has to be a proven performer in the accuracy department. When I was seriously competing in ISSF/UIT pistol, my goal usually was to find a gun that would give me some added advantage. It was, of course, nothing but an excuse to buy another gun and in the end most of my gun purchases have happened unexpected and were more emotional decisions.

I had enjoyed a Walther Gehmann Special GSP were I had a slightly better score than with the Hammerli International but sold it, because it was more sports equipment and lacked real firearms character. It is the only gun that I regret selling of maybe a couple of hundreds that I have sold over the decades.

Overall, I can much better understand how somebody pays $2,000+ for a nice P5C than $300 for some Umarex product with little appeal and marginal performance.

·
Registered
2,792 Posts
Hello DUA, if you are refering to mine in Malta, Ser # is 23 😎😎😁😁

That's correct.

I posted those Lang locations and S/Ns off the top of my head, forgot the last digit of your Malta P5L example.

Thanks for the assist.

·
Registered
2,792 Posts
I see addition value in a NIB/unfired outside Ulm factory, complete package, low production model P5. This was a significant design for Walther (P38 origin dropping lock block). The P5 line is the last handgun produced by Walther with this design.

After over 30yrs, I would bet most of the ~68 P5Langs have been fired and/or lost items from their packages.

I would personally accept a price of $2500 to $3000 for an incomplete package 90% shooter P5L, and ~ $5000 for a NIB/unfired full Ulm package. The pair would enter my collection for ~ $8k.

For perspective, I purchased a shooter and a complete package/99% safe queen HK P7 M13 for almost $5.5k. I place increased value in the P7 line for the same reason, the "end of the line" of an exclusive design by the manufacturer.

I may place more premium on interesting design and impeccable condition then most others.

Reactions: HKaltwasser
1 - 20 of 57 Posts