Walther Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
40478204_1.jpg
40478204_2.jpg

Hi Everyone I've come across a walther that I'm interested in acquiring. I'm pretty new when it comes to markings and was wondering if some one can give some background history. some of the marks font seem to match what I've seen elsewhere on the forum.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Welcome to the forum. Close up pictures of the markings might tell us more but the slide is a 1940 Walther manufacture with a serial number of 5820 and what appears to be a suffix letter that I can't read.

The frame is from a different gun and the original serial numbers on the left side have been overstamped. The right side of the frame has been stamped to match the slide numbers 5820. In short, it's a mismatched frame/slide that has been "force matched" making it a shooter and not a collectable. Still, it does have value if the bore is good and there's nothing else wrong with it.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply, I'm not a collector by any means just want a cool bit of history, ill maybe take some more pics when i go look at it. If its mechanically in good shape i might pull the trigger on it there only asking $750.

·
Premium Member
1,827 Posts
Welcome to the forum.

The "X" behind the disassembly lever is a Russian capture mark. That's why the numbers don't match. It was reblued but looks like it still has some pitting. The slide looks like its been buffed. The grips look original. There should be additional markings on the magazine.

I don't know what the market in Canada is like but in the US I'd pass.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts